Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Co-creator of the mouse has died

Co-creator of the mouse has died 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223234

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
The co-creator of the mouse has died and it's nothing to do with Apple or Microsoft.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53638033

Re: Co-creator of the mouse has died 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223236

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
In fact, if the management of Xerox back then had had a vision what to do with the innovations created at their PARC, the world wouldn't know Steve Jobs and Bill Gates today.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Co-creator of the mouse has died 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223256

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
One of the unsung heroes of the modern computer industry was Bill English's boss, Doug Engelbart. The ideas that came from that man and the team that he assembled are large part of the way that we use computers today.

The story that you've linked to includes a link to "The mother of all demos". If you haven't come across that before, you really should look at it. Then try and put yourself in the frame of mind of a world where computer screens were text only, using a rudimentary font on a green on black or white on black screen. The management at Xerox were the ones who failed to grasp the magnitude of what that team had done.

There was one further advance that I think also came out of PARC which I've only ever seen implemented once. That was a word processor that let you type on the page in any arbitrary position - just click on blank space and start typing. I saw that demonstrated (I played with it for a time) on a dedicated hardware word processor built by Sony in the 1980s. I don't know what happened to that. The version that I played with was cool but pretty buggy, so maybe the concept was just too difficult to implement reliably.

Re: Co-creator of the mouse has died 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223318

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
"The mother of all demos" That reminds me that I am older than I keep telling People. I saw xerox demonstrating that mouse and the text program at a computer fair in my 1st years of Electronic engineering Technologies in Toronto. At that time we were learning Basic programming on an IBM main frame that was located some where out there..... Our terminal setup was a telex console and the monitor was an almost endless stream of TTY paper.
How many millions of trees were turned into paper because of our programming errors?
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Jpaulbiss.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top