Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Disk Space

Disk Space 3 months, 1 week ago #215147

• Ambientologist
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi all

I'm at that awful point of continually running out of disk space on my laptop, and routinely deleting a few files here and there (unfortunately most of the weight comes from my iTunes, which I'm reluctant to trim).

I noticed that my Lightworks folder is taking up 18Gb of space - do you think there's anything within it I could delete? I found some very old video files in the archive folder, something I don't remember adding them to in the first place, but besides that are there any suggestions?

Re: Disk Space 3 months, 1 week ago #215150

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

There isn't a folder named 'archive' managed by Lightworks internally. You may have created a shared project space in this folder, internal media locations which are still in use, exported archives maybe, or just linked media, or whatever else. Who can tell? Only you can decide which files you may need and which not.

If you don't know what's in there, a possible approach to free drive space is moving the entire folder 'archive' to an external drive and then opening your projects one by one and inspecting them for missing media. It might be prudent to not delete the moved folder from the external drive, so that you can restore some media, if needed.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Disk Space 2 months, 4 weeks ago #215813

• Ambientologist
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
Thanks hugly. Yes that Archive folder was just an example, which I was able to delete a few old things from. I've since noticed that the majority of the space has been used by the Media > Sound folder, and I've taken your approach - moved it to an external drive to see if it trips me up. I don't have any projects I need to revisit, so I think I might be safe in removing these audio files. If not I can just chuck it back in the original folder I imagine.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Disk Space 2 months, 4 weeks ago #215814

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
Ambientologist wrote:
..I've since noticed that the majority of the space has been used by the Media > Sound folder, ..
.. If not I can just chuck it back in the original folder I imagine.

If you want to work with external drives:
Lightworks can manage media locations on drives other than the system drive; even multiple media locations on different drives in parallel.
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=9&id=215358&Itemid=81#215360
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top