Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Updates and support

Updates and support 1 month ago #213808

  • daylife
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 118
  • 1 month ago
I'm a documentary filmmaker and freelance editor, and for a long time I've been keeping an eye on Lightworks (my first post on this forum was over 9 years ago!). Lately I've been cutting a few commissioned projects on it, and so far I'm really impressed. The people at EditShare have done an amazing job with the improvements they brought to the software since they took over development, and I think most new features are spot on. I love the interface and the way the timeline and especially trimming works. There are a lot of minor shortcomings, but I will save those for individual feature requests.

While my plan is to leave Avid behind for my next documentary, I'm a little bit concerned about updates and support. Version 14.5 was released in October 2018. No patches have been released ever since. 14.5 has a number of bugs, some of which are hindering my work on a daily basis, so zero patches in over 16 months is... not a lot.

With the rename to 2020.1, am I correct in assuming that the plan is to release multiple versions a year? Please do so, because I care about bugfixes, much more than I care about new features. Lightworks would really benefit from some bugfix-only patches after major versions have been released.

About support: currently there's the choice for either no support, or extensive support with a pretty high price tag. Both are not ideal for me. It would be good if there was an option for a limited kind of support (for example, only technical help by email) for a considerably lower price than the current support option.

Re: Updates and support 1 month ago #213809

  • hugly
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 23125
  • 1 month ago
Hello,

As you probably know this is a user forum and Editshare officials might or might not take notice of (or react to) your post.

On the forum we can't say much about the latest plans of Editshare referring to Lightworks. The last official announcement which shades some light on the future is from January 2019:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=191263&Itemid=81#191263

daylife wrote:
I care about bugfixes, much more than I care about new features. Lightworks would really benefit from some bugfix-only patches after major versions have been released.
I fully agree.

The Shop offers current only site contracts. As far as I'm aware of, personal support contracts at lower prices existed in the past, but have been dropped. I don't know the reasons.

The active forum members represent a high level of knowledge and experience. I'm not aware of many operational issues which couldn't be fixed or worked around based on forum support. Issues which can't be fixed on the forum can be reported to Lightworks using the form Report a problem. The service is free.

What operational problem(s) do you have?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: Updates and support 1 month ago #213811

  • briandrys
  • Moderator
    Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 9227
  • 1 month ago
When a beta comes out, that's the best time to be checking out for the old bugs and ensuring that they're fixed, There tends to be a fairly long beta testing with each Lightworks version, so there's usually time for lots of fixes.

V2020.1 beta is very close to release, so if you've got any bugs that haven't been fixed in this version, now is the time to put them in.

Re: Updates and support 4 weeks, 1 day ago #213880

  • daylife
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 118
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
hugly wrote:
The active forum members represent a high level of knowledge and experience. I'm not aware of many operational issues which couldn't be fixed or worked around based on forum support. Issues which can't be fixed on the forum can be reported to Lightworks using the form Report a problem. The service is free.

What operational problem(s) do you have?

Thanks for the link to the form, I'll make use of that. And yes, help from forum members is definitely very useful and much appreciated! On bigger projects some official form of support is a requirement though.

I will save problems I'm currently encountering for different threads.

briandrys wrote:
When a beta comes out, that's the best time to be checking out for the old bugs and ensuring that they're fixed, There tends to be a fairly long beta testing with each Lightworks version, so there's usually time for lots of fixes.

V2020.1 beta is very close to release, so if you've got any bugs that haven't been fixed in this version, now is the time to put them in.

I will check the latest beta soon and test it against the list of bugs that I wrote down while working. Currently I'm in the finishing stages of a project so hopefully I will have some time later this week.

Re: Updates and support 4 weeks ago #213896

  • jwrl
  • Moderator
    Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 12175
  • 4 weeks ago
daylife wrote:
I will check the latest beta soon and test it against the list of bugs that I wrote down while working. Currently I'm in the finishing stages of a project so hopefully I will have some time later this week.

I'd be curious to see that list. In fact I'm sure that the developers would like to see it too.

Re: Updates and support 4 weeks ago #213924

  • daylife
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 118
  • 4 weeks ago
jwrl wrote:
daylife wrote:
I will check the latest beta soon and test it against the list of bugs that I wrote down while working. Currently I'm in the finishing stages of a project so hopefully I will have some time later this week.

I'd be curious to see that list. In fact I'm sure that the developers would like to see it too.

I just checked and all bugs except for one are fixed in the latest beta, so that's good news. For the one that's left I'll create a topic in the beta forums.
  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top