Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:

TOPIC: A question to member hybodont

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 4 weeks ago #208606

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
David, that isn't helpful. I can understand your need to clarify, but continuing this thread achieves nothing given that it is now in Editshare's hands.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208609

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
For those who don't know what post has been deleted and asinclair has been apparently banned for, I've revealed it from my inbox:

asinclair wrote:
As somone who has been involved with computer-based editing since its earliest days, let me offer this (hard-won)advice.

By definition, doing something on an original edit is more prone to disaster than doing it on a copy.

In fact, never, never, *never* perform a major destructive action on an edit without taking a copy first. Undo *should* work, but it might not, for a variety of reasons. You might have finger-trouble and perform some other action by accident that causes confusion. The program might crash: it *should* revert to where you left off, but sometimes it doesn't. Sure, you can probably find and restore your edit, but much better not to have to.

As a matter of general principle in this and indeed every program, don't rely on undo if its failure could cause serious pain.

Since I was part of the discussion, I can remember that I thought after reading the post: This person has obviously hands-on experience with Lightworks. Now I asked, in the other thread started by hybodont , locked by RWAV:

hugly wrote:
If "asinclair" would be Anita Sinclair with Lightworks back in Tektronix times, would that have changed anything in your behaviour, RWAV?

Got the answer:

RWAV wrote:
A good question user hugly. No, all bad behaviour needs to be addressed - even if one is Prince Andrew, it seems.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208611

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Hugly, you WILL NOT be allowed to pour fuel on the fire. I have deleted your post. I have asked that this matter be left in Editshare's hands. Presumably they will decide whether to reinstate a user's posts or not.

Your mischievous attempt to fan the blaze is completely unacceptable. You are just being a troublemaker, and I must ask you to stop now.

[EDIT] Since this matter has now been resolved I have reinstated the post. However I stand by my decision to delete it. It was inappropriate to preempt Editshare's decision by posting it.
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208615

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
With this action you've just proved how the established system works.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208618

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
The moderation procedure has moved to the next step, it has moved into the hands of the Editshare staff, who can go deeper into this than users on forum.

Please let the process continue without interference.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208622

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Just my 2 cents:
Controversial issues or multipage threads alone shouldn't be the reason to close or lock a thread, neither to ban a user.
There may be other good reasons to do so, e.g. creating a second identity, in order to undermine a previous, justified ban.
Lwks x64 14.6.0.0 beta (117868) pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, Xiaomi Yi 1080p, iPhone 7
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by timzett.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208628

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
There may be other good reasons to do so, e.g. creating a second identity, in order to undermine a previous, justified ban.

In part, this what is being investigated by Editshare staff. Please let them continue their work.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208668

• hybodont
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Yesterday, I was in agreement with jwrl: the point of these threads about apparent abuse of their powers by moderators had been made, and there wasn't more to be said.

Then hugly's post was deleted by that same jwrl. Was it in breach of forum rules? Was he being more inflammatory than David Rasberry, who got a mild rebuke? We can't tell, because the post was deleted, and that brings us right back to the question of whether moderators have been abusing their privileges.

Clearly, there is more to be said after all, because the concern is about what appears to be a pattern of behaviour by the moderators. In technical forums like this one, there are usually very few disputes: I was recently talking to a friend of mine who runs a (much bigger) forum in the field of audio software. He says that though they have moderators, they have literally never had to use them in fifteen years: disputes occasionally arise but they resolve quickly and calmly.

And indeed on the Lightworks forum there have been very few actual disputes: the difference is that they do not resolve quietly because the moderators tend to step in not just to police them but - all too often - to inflame them using language that is in breach of the forum rules and which would never be tolerated - nor should it be - if employed by other users.

Not to mention hair-trigger bans on people who have done nothing - and Anita Sinclair is far from the only example. This promotes a toxic atmosphere which is bound to drive away users.

And that is bad for Lightworks, which I regard as a sad state of affairs and is the entire reason for my having started the thread on rules.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208680

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
In practice, there are very few disputes on the Lightworks forum and tend to be short term in nature.

The vast majority of the bans and deletions in the forum are to do with spam, rather the content of user messages.

Fortunately, I gather this dispute has now been resolved.
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208683

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
"Fortunately, I gather this dispute has now been resolved. "

Is there any official statement about that? What was the solution? Thanks!

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208686

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
There is no official statement, it's between the users involved and Editshare, so I assume it satisfied both parties.
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208743

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
If the dispute has been resolved, I'd expect to see the locked discussion to be unlocked and the deleted posts to be restored.

Will that happen?

Edit: Oh, I missed that my post deleted earlier in this discussion has been restored already. However, I still can't find asinclair's original post anywhere.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208744

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
jwrl wrote:
Since this matter has now been resolved I have reinstated the post.

Since my post contains nothing which is even close to breaking any of the rules of this forum, even in our context, I find this is a wise decision.

Re: A question to member hybodont 2 months, 3 weeks ago #208790

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
I'll be able to sleep better knowing that you approve.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds
Scroll To Top