Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

TOPIC: Flatten timeline

Flatten timeline 7 months, 1 week ago #201352

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
This might not describe a typical Lightworks workflow, but when using several video tracks to organize and preview material in the timeline to see how clips work together, without any effects, just stacked and overlapping clips, is there a function to 'flatten' the visible parts into one single track?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Flatten timeline 7 months, 1 week ago #201353

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
You can do a minimal track display in the flexible latout.

I can't see a reason to turn all the tracks into a single track, that goes beyond what FCPX does with its combined video & audio tracks.

Re: Flatten timeline 7 months, 1 week ago #201354

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
I wasn't precise enough, I mean flatten physically, not only visually.

Basically, it is replacing material on lower tracks with material from upper tracks, but black (read: empty timeline) on an upper track must not replace material on a lower. All that preferably with one click.
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Flatten timeline 7 months, 1 week ago #201355

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
In 14.6 you could do that by selecting the segments on the uppermost track and dragging them down (repeating for each V track as necessary)
Lightworks Development

Re: Flatten timeline 7 months, 1 week ago #201356

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
Yeah, the segments. I see that selecting segments in row by click and shift-click selects material only - that's what it needs. Not exactly a one click operation but definitely fast enough for what I need it for.

Thank you.

Re: Flatten timeline 4 months ago #206452

• smyrf
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 4 months ago
This is something I've needed to do recently - flattening a timeline with several video tracks. It seemed to require copying each segment manually, since selecting an entire section with in and out points would also copy the empty space, which would overwrite the video beneath it - clearly not the desired result.

Would there be a way to make a selection of only the segments of actual media?

Re: Flatten timeline 4 months ago #206453

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Great White wrote about pure mouse operations, independent of Mark & Park in the future version 14.6, currently only available for beta testers.
There you can select whole segment sections with the Shift keys, without empty sections in between. With the CTLR key you can deselect some of them, select additional ones etc . Edit: I was wrong, the CTLR key is not necessary for selection and deselection.

You can also copy with the CTLR key as usual.

See video:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

smyrf wrote:
... Would there be a way to make a selection of only the segments of actual media?

If you mean an automatic selection according to selectable criteria, as it is possible with effects (for example the media name):
As far as I know, this is only possible via the well-known "Find" tool.
(Right mouse button > Find > Clip references .. )
Enter the criteria there, and "Create sequence of matches".

In the flexible layout you open both timelines (of the automatically created sequence, and your target sequence). In the Timeline with the found segments you select with the shift key all segments in a track, and copy them on block into your target sequence.

It would be great if this automatic segment selection according to criteria could also be done directly.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 4 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Flatten timeline 4 months ago #206457

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
It would be great if this automatic segment selection according to criteria could also be done directly.

It's funny that you mention that.. the next 14.6 beta has this :

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Lightworks Development

Re: Flatten timeline 4 months ago #206460

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Flatten timeline 4 months ago #206462

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Hello Great White,

Selecting segments in the timeline does not entirely match the logic when selecting objects in usual file managers, including Lightworks content manager, i.e. a single left-click toggles selection of the clicked segment while preserving the existing other selections, whereas the common standard selects the clicked object and deselects others.

I have trouble getting used to it, my brains together with muscle memory expect the standards.

Could you explain the idea behind leaving the common standard in this context?
Last Edit: 4 months ago by hugly.

Re: Flatten timeline 4 months ago #206464

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
hugly wrote:
Hello Great White,

Selecting segments in the timeline does not entirely match the logic when selecting objects in usual file managers, including Lightworks content manager, i.e. a single left-click toggles selection of the clicked segment while preserving the existing other selections, whereas the common standard selects the clicked object and deselects others.

I have trouble getting used to it, my brains together with muscle memory expect the standards.

Could you explain the idea behind leaving the common standard in this context?

It works the same as unjoining cuts on the timeline
Lightworks Development

Re: Flatten timeline 4 months ago #206466

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
I understand and see it now, referring to the left-click only, thank you.

I'm surely too deep into details to argue for the average user, but I'm not convinced that this is the best way to do it. I find, in particular with new users in mind, staying as close as possible with OS standards is preferable, unless breaking with the standards brings obvious practical benefits when working with selections, but currently I can't see any.

Re: Flatten timeline 4 months ago #206468

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
hugly wrote:
I find, in particular with new users in mind, staying as close as possible with OS standards is preferable ..

In principle, I agree.
However, the current behavior also has an intuitive advantage:
If I click on several segments one after the other, I immediately see that multiple selection is possible. If this would only be possible with the CLRT key held down, then I'm not sure if I would have noticed this possibility so quickly.

hugly wrote:
.. unless breaking with the standards brings obvious practical benefits when working with selections, but currently I can't see any.

I haven't used segment selection for serious work yet, so I don't have any real experience yet. In short tests I think I have seen the following advantages:

I think in many cases the current behavior allows multiple selection with the mouse only (without a modifier key. If you have to make a lot of cross-selections, you will probably find this more convenient.

In addition, the CLRT key also has a copy function, so that the user would have to pay attention to the timing of the keystroke when simply moving, if the OS standards were used for segment selection.
Last Edit: 4 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Flatten timeline 4 months ago #206469

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
Not having to use a modifier when selecting segments is pretty intuitive, although, you seemingly can use Ctrl if you want.

Re: Flatten timeline 4 months ago #206470

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Is there an easier way to select segments in this way?:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I used the Shift key and mouse to select an area of a segment, and then clicked on each of the non-selected segments in the middle without using the modifier key.

hugly wrote:
.. possible with OS standards ..

Just to compare:
In the Windows File Explorer I can select the first range with elements by holding down the Shift key, then an unselected range follows, then select another segment with CTLR, which represents the beginning of an additional range, and then close the end of this second range with CTLR+Shift
... etc.
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top