Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

TOPIC: Unlock sequences in shared project space

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200370

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
that means i would need to change the machine hostnames, right? I never did that (exept of in an installation process...)

edit: surprisingly easy,
www.tecmint.com/set-hostname-permanently-in-linux/

i will test this now...
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by kalimerox.

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200371

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
kalimerox wrote:
that means i would need to change the machine hostnames, right?

Yes.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200372

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
I did that, rebooted, lightworks sticks to the old hostnames though.. guess i would need to reinstall completely or something...

I tested back and forth and there is still this "sequence locking" going on as soon as i hit the lock symbol. I would consider this a bug....

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200374

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
I don't know if you have detected a bug.

Sequence locking is designed to work in a network with concurrent access to the same sequences from different machines simultaneously. This kind of lock mechanism, ensures that only one host has permission to write on a specific sequence at one time. Consequently, you can't get rid of the locking in general in a shared space, but you should be able to unlock the (sequences in the) project on an USB dive from the second computer, as long as the hostname on both machines is the same. It must be the hostname of the machine which created the project. Machine number might have some influence too, but I don't know.
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200375

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Just to clarify. The behaviour depends on the version, due to the recent change with V14.6.

If you have created the project with V14.5 in the local space, then unlocking in a shared space is impossible. With V14.5 the trick with the hostname will only work if the project and all sequences within that project are created in a shared space.

With V14.6, you can take ownership of sequences created in the local space, which means you can unlock them in a shared space.

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200376

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Why do you need to use the project sharing function if you will not be editing from 2 computers at the same time? If you simply save your projects to a folder on the portable hard drive, won’t both computers be able to access them as normal, non-shared projects? In a normal project, there is no “owner” is there?
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200377

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
I can't speak for kalimerox, but I've been using shared project spaces on a regular basis for a long time to have simultaneously access to multiple project spaces with separated media spaces on a single computer. For me it's just a way of advanced organisation of my projects.

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200378

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
@ Khaver

my problem then is: I need to point the local folder to the external drive and delete all the other media folders. if I do not do that the data would be spread over these folders and it would not work taking the portable drive to another computer. doing that everytime I work on that project is way to risky for me as I experienced a lot of media offline hickups in the past and do not want to reconfigure lightworks every day.
if you are aware of another workaround for that please let me know.

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200379

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
As mentioned already in the other discussion. It is not necessary to delete anything when working with switching the local project space, you just have to reassign the media locations (and dont't forget) after switching the project space.

Edit: Or, you switch the entire Lightworks folder using hardlinks, with Lightworks shut down. This works even with the free version.

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200383

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
yes I know but this is not working for me:

let s say i work on 2-3 projects at the same time and one of them is on the external drive I like to take home to work on a laptop. this would mean i switch home locations and folders back and forth every day once or twice (and on a second computer as well). means switching in a week 14-21 times per computer. it maybe sounds stubborn but out of my experience this is not a workflow but will bring tons of problems. a tiny little mistake and a day of work is ruined. I would need a setup I do not need to switch media folders and project spaces for having control over on which hdd my media files will land (thats for me what it is all about..)

but it seems this is not possible in lightworks, even in the new beta. but it is a fruitful discussion here and hopefully I will find a way to manage ...

EDIT: I just reread this post
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=9&id=199209&Itemid=81

where is described a process of moving video files to different locations using bins. this could be a workaround..
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by kalimerox.

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200385

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
but I didn´t want to detour this thread into a different direction:

I was just not sure if this behavior is expected:

i create a sequence in a project in a shared space

i click on the sequence to load it into timeline.

then I see the lock green in the viewer. when i click on the lock, it gets locked to the other user of the shared space and i cannot edit the sequence anymore nor undo the lock. if this is expected to happen it s all good and i still haven´t understood the ownership thing well..

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200386

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
I'm pretty sure that it will be possible with shared project spaces and V14.6 to create a shared project space including all necessary media locations on an external hard drive wich allows "Lightworks to go" plug and play.

I can't test shared spaces on USB with Linux because I don't have Pro licenses with my Linux VMs, only with OSX and Windows and there, the drive letters of Windows are the major challenge. I haven't found any good workaround for that yet.

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200387

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
kalimerox wrote:
then I see the lock green in the viewer. when i click on the lock, it gets locked to the other user of the shared space and i cannot edit the sequence anymore nor undo the lock. if this is expected to happen it s all good and i still haven´t understood the ownership thing well..

Who locks the sequence? The current owner, the only person who can unlock it.

Edit: Imagine the lock on a toilet door - that's the principle.

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200390

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
ah I described it faulty....

to stay in the picture: now it behaves like this:

owner 1 locks the toilet and only owner 2 can unlock it. a pretty uncomfortable scenario

Re: Unlock sequences in shared project space 2 months, 3 weeks ago #200394

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
In Lightworks shared project world, is there such thing as an admin owner who can access/unlock/revoke timelines at any time? Seems this would be a necessity.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top