Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

TOPIC: Total Noob With Loads of Noob Type Questions...

Re: Total Noob With Loads of Noob Type Questions... 2 months ago #197574

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
hugly wrote:
... I'm asking myself how can a human being handle 30 synchronized sources to switch between while live editing? ...
I had understood "VBR" to mean that life editing is not desired.
Nevertheless, the classic step-by-step editing (Makt & Park & Replace) from a multicam bin with 30 sync clips doesn't seem optimal to me either.

hugly wrote:
... Consequently, considering an approach to develop special workflows to break things down to manageable pieces could be of some benefit?
That's what I think.
Since we don't know the details of the project, we take your example:

hugly wrote:
... As far as I can see this concert's been capture with 7 cameras ...

Idea for a first pre-cut:
Initially only 3 cameras in the Multicam bin:
Singer 1
Singer 2
The Band

Postprocessing:
After completion of the pre-cut, the Multicam bin will be deleted (of course not the contained clips).
3 new Multicam bins will be created:
Bin "Singer 1" contains all cameras that show singer 1.
Bin "Singer 2" contains all cameras showing singer 2.
Bin "Band and surroundings" contains all other cameras.

If I now move the playhead through the pre-cut timeline, I can select other camera settings with the function "Alternate Clips" (if necessary add cuts). By sorting into 3 Multicam bins, Lightworks offers me for segments with singer 1, only cameras ("alternate clips") that show singer 1.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 2 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Total Noob With Loads of Noob Type Questions... 2 months ago #197583

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
VBR wrote:
If & when I get around to doing this, & find a suitable video editor, I'll post a link to the video

The video editor isn't your problem, the bottlenecks in the firmware and hardware will be. I use a range of professional edit systems and I can't envisage any of them handling 30 streams of live edit media in real time. Hugly and schrauber's suggestions of modifying your workflow is the best option available to you, in my opinion.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Total Noob With Loads of Noob Type Questions... 2 months ago #197612

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Schrauber, I see here a natural upper limit for playback above 13 synced sources which apparently doesn't depend on available resources. Have you been able to play the 30 clips synced you've tested with, or at least 14?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Total Noob With Loads of Noob Type Questions... 2 months ago #197617

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
hugly wrote:
Have you been able to play the 30 clips synced you've tested with, or at least 14?

schrauber wrote:
Real-time synchronization during playback worked in my test with 10 Multicam clips, not 15 or more.

I haven't narrowed it down more.

But the playback of many clips at the same time is in this case probably not desired anyway. Only sync before adding to the timeline.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 2 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Total Noob With Loads of Noob Type Questions... 2 months ago #197620

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Thanks.

You know, I test a lot of weird stuff since I've got my new computer.

Re: Total Noob With Loads of Noob Type Questions... 2 months ago #197800

• VBR
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months ago
schrauber wrote:
I had understood "VBR" to mean that life editing is not desired.
Nevertheless, the classic step-by-step editing (Makt & Park & Replace) from a multicam bin with 30 sync clips doesn't seem optimal to me either.

Exactly. I'm looking for something in between.

jwrl wrote:
The video editor isn't your problem, the bottlenecks in the firmware and hardware will be. I use a range of professional edit systems and I can't envisage any of them handling 30 streams of live edit media in real time. Hugly and schrauber's suggestions of modifying your workflow is the best option available to you, in my opinion.

Like I've already said, I don't want to do it live. I can envisage other ways of doing things to get the desired result. I'll try several different ways, with several different video editors, & see what best suits my limited equipment.

Where there's a will there's a way...
Last Edit: 2 months ago by VBR.

Re: Total Noob With Loads of Noob Type Questions... 2 months ago #197801

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Is your new PC now finished, and is Lightworks installed?
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Total Noob With Loads of Noob Type Questions... 2 months ago #197804

• VBR
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Not yet. I have most of the bits for it & need to build it, but Lifeā„¢ keeps on getting in the way. Got a great deal on a pre-owned capture card, & am awaiting delivery. Still need to buy an HDD for storage, & a few other sundries.

I'm really happy with what I got so far, & am well within my budget. Will let you all know how it goes if & when I get my "faecal matter" together...

Thanks for all the help & advice guys.

Re: Total Noob With Loads of Noob Type Questions... 2 weeks, 3 days ago #200992

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Hello VBR,

Have you configured your new machine in the meantime?

Because I'm still interested to know more about the progress of making of Matrix 4 and inspired by schrauber's tests, I faked a multicam bin with 42 synced sources. In fact they are simply 42 physical copies of a single clip created on file system level. To make the switching visible, I used BITC to display clip name and timecode on the frame. The test runs on 360 Cineform proxies which give relaxed playback and no problems with transfer rates on my system.

Maybe the video gives an idea how difficult live editing turns out to be with too many views, but of course editing of synced sources can be done without using live editing, 42 sources and even more. What do you think, suitable for Matrix 4?
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top