Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:

TOPIC: EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs

EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs 3 months, 2 weeks ago #190760

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
I was cleaning my gear room when I came across some mid 1980s promotion material for EditDroid, looking online I found these videos which may fit with the occasional threads on the history of editing.

EditDroid ran on a SUN computer. with a Motorola 68010 CPU, 2 megabytes of main memory and a 42 megabyte Winchester disk.

The preview

vimeo.com/4398241

Longer version

Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs 3 months, 2 weeks ago #190773

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Another one (from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - I saw this one being used in San Francisco for audio sweetening in the '80s:

"The CMX 600 was the very first non-linear video editing system. This Emmy Award winning system was introduced in 1971 by CMX Systems, a joint venture between CBS and Memorex.[1] CMX referred to it as a "RAVE", or Random Access Video Editor.

The 600 had a console with 2 black & white monitors built in, as well as a light pen used to control the system. The right monitor, which played the preview video, was used by the editor to make cuts and edit decisions, by using the light pen to select from options which were superimposed as text over the preview video. The left monitor was used to display the edited video."

Here's part one of CMX's promo video.

Part two.

As far as I know there were only ever two sold. They were simply too expensive. However the spin off was the whole CMX series of edit systems which quickly became the mainstay of the post production industry. I used at various times CMX-50, CMX-200, CMX-300 and CMX-340.

For what it's worth, the CMX-200 was originally designed as the on-line assembly tool to support the 600, but here in Melbourne we used it to assemble EDLs generated by the CMX-50, a Umatic cassette-based linear edit system.
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs 3 months ago #191428

• oldbutcher
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Thanks for posting these, I really enjoyed them.

I had heard of the EditDroid, but never seen one, and didn't realise it worked with laser disc.

As for the CMX... glad I never had to use one of those, looks incredibly cumbersome.

I think I would rather stick to film of U-matic offline.
Lightworks Turnkey System.
8 Terabytes Internal Raid Storage
6 Terabytes External Fibre Raid
Boris Red Effects

Re: EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs 2 months, 3 weeks ago #192051

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Just found this coincidentally, the voice of HAL from Kubriks's 2001, The Eltro Mark II:

www.wendycarlos.com/other/Eltro-1967/index.html

By the way, HAL sounds like "hell" and is IBM shifted one letter in the alphabet to the left.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs 2 months, 3 weeks ago #192072

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Ahh, the old "HAL is IBM shifted by one letter" claim. Both Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke have repeatedly denied that is how the name arose. As described in the novel and film, it stands for Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer. In fact there is actually a history of alternative names in various drafts of the novel, none of which are in any way based on IBM.

Don't believe me? Arthur C. Clarke wrote in "The Lost Worlds of 2001" the following: "some character spots the fact that HAL is one letter ahead of IBM, and promptly assumes that Stanley and I were taking a crack at the estimable institution ... As it happened, IBM had given us a good deal of help, so we ... would have changed the name had we spotted the coincidence."

And to say that HAL sounds like hell in English is absurd. None of the sounds capable of production with the vowel "A" match those produced by the vowel "E". It's about as reasonable to say that "ei" and "ie" produce the same sound in German.

Re: EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs 2 months, 3 weeks ago #192075

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Re: EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs 2 months, 3 weeks ago #192079

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
jwrl wrote:
Ahh, the old "HAL is IBM shifted by one letter" claim. Both Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke have repeatedly denied that is how the name arose.
Even more surprising that this happened by coincident and not intended. Nevertheless, HAL remains IBM shifted by one letter to the left. Maybe some premonition of the Dark Force?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs 2 months, 3 weeks ago #192081

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
says it all (john carpenter)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Star_(film)
,)
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by lghtwrks.

Re: EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs 2 months, 3 weeks ago #192127

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
Even more surprising that this happened by coincident and not intended. Nevertheless, HAL remains IBM shifted by one letter to the left. Maybe some premonition of the Dark Force?

Also coincidental, dog spelled backwards is god.

As any pet owner knows, dogs are not gods, cats are.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: EditDroid - from the dawn of NLEs 2 months, 3 weeks ago #192149

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
arniepix wrote:
Also coincidental, dog spelled backwards is god.

As any pet owner knows, dogs are not gods, cats are.

And they rule you with a paw of iron!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top