Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bug or not? The blue mark point moves along with the cut, using some of the trim options.

Bug or not? The blue mark point moves along with the cut, using some of the trim options. 1 week, 6 days ago #189085

Hi.

This feel like a bug, but I'm not sure. Feel free to move it, if other think so as well. I would be interested in hearing if there is a thought behind it otherwise.

1) In the most simple sequence, edit and make some cuts.
2) Set a mark in to one of the clips.
3) Choose "trim out". Use j,k,l to move the out towards the mark in point.

When the yellow playhead hits the blue marker, the blue marker starts to move along, with the reverse motion of the cut (!). No big deal maybe, but is that really suppose to happen? (the same happens with trim out and slide)

4) Instead of "trim out", choose "move cut" (on the cut to the right or left side of marker). Use j,k,l to move the cut towards the mark in point.

When you hit the blue marker nothing special happens. It just passes, as one would expect.

C.E
HP Workstation Z620, LW 14.5 64-bit, Win 10, CPU: 2 x Xeon (R) E5-2660. 8 Core/HT 2,20 GHz, RAM: 32 GB, Graphic: NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB of GPU memory, Decklink mini monitor 4k, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB.

Re: Bug or not? The blue mark point moves along with the cut, using some of the trim options. 1 week, 6 days ago #189086

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
That isn't new, it's present in earlier versions as well. I think, the basic idea is that in-mark and out-mark represent specific frames of the segment and not a specific timecode in the sequence (we have cue markers for that). The problem to solve, what happens with the marker if the trimmed segment doesn't contain the frame pointed to anymore, where to place the mark? From a practical point of view, i think the problem is that after trimming-off the frame the mark is pointing to, the former mark position isn't revelead when trimming in reverse direction, the former mark position is lost.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by hugly.

Re: Bug or not? The blue mark point moves along with the cut, using some of the trim options. 1 week, 6 days ago #189087

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Ok, Case 3 and Case 4 show different behavior.

Case 3: Mark identifies a specific frame in the clip. This is especially useful if you are using "Trim In" or "Slip Clip". For example, you can mark an explosion within the clip segment and sync the marker with the beat in the background music using "Slip Clip". (or something else in other tracks)

If you shorten the clip end, then the original frame no longer exists, and Lightworks positions Mark on the last remaining frame of this segment. In the case of "trim out", the benefit of this behavior becomes apparent when you mark a frame in another segment to the right. Then you can sync that frame with a position in another track.

Case 4 "move cut": "Mark" does not indicate a specific frame within the original clip, but a fixed time of the sequence time. Probably this behavior was chosen for "move cut", because in this case a sync with the original frame would rarely have any advantages?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Bug or not? The blue mark point moves along with the cut, using some of the trim options. 1 week, 6 days ago #189089

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
May I point out that Move cut doesn't change the position of any frame, only the cut is moved, consequently the mark stays on the same frame.

Edit: Until the moved cut crosses the frame, and then, what to do, remove the mark and let it reappear when moving the cut back?

Re: Bug or not? The blue mark point moves along with the cut, using some of the trim options. 1 week, 6 days ago #189097

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
hugly wrote:
... what to do, remove the mark and let it reappear when moving the cut back?
This raises questions about which behavior is most helpful for most purposes, and how it could be designed to be intuitive.

hugly wrote:
... the former mark position is lost.

This is correct if the timeline contains only one track.

I experimented a bit:
If I disable the first track, then I get the previous position of the marker, which is obviously assigned to the other track. The repositioning happens only when I press Rejoin / Unjoin, or change the play position.
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

However, intuitively is something else.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Bug or not? The blue mark point moves along with the cut, using some of the trim options. 1 week, 6 days ago #189099

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
I asked myself, when do I use marks when manually trimming and answered to myself, never - Why? I don't need marks when trimming, except of when using Align marks and then, I set them prior to unjoining and let the system trim.

That's a Lightworks view. Editors who are used to work with Media Composeror FCP might have a different view.

Re: Bug or not? The blue mark point moves along with the cut, using some of the trim options. 1 week, 6 days ago #189100

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
schrauber wrote:
If I disable the first track, then I get the previous position of the marker, which is obviously assigned to the other track. The repositioning happens only when I press Rejoin / Unjoin, or change the play position.
However, intuitively is something else.

Oh, yes!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds
Scroll To Top