Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

TOPIC: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0

Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18597

• tsm767
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Well guys, its eight days until the release. Do you think it'll be good? What are you hoping to see? Advanced editing? Node-based compositing? Animation? Let me know what you think!

If you haven't seen the Jahshaka blog yet, check it out here: www.jahshaka.com/

Forum Admin: Please note that I am in no way trying to steer the topic away from Lightworks. I am just hoping to get a comparison between the two softwares. Thanks.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18599

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I certainly wish the Jashaka people better luck than they've previously had. If they can finally create a decent compositor or editor my hat is off to them.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18600

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I think jahshaka is aiming to be a compositing tool, sort of like After Effects. This may make it ideal as an assistant application for Lightworks.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18602

• tsm767
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I sure hope it is similar to after effects, so us open source users can begin to build up our own suite of apps! And apparently, there will also be sophisticated animation as well as a very intuitive editing interface (although I'll probably stick to LW for that). At the very least, I hope they have matured from their buggy code base.

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18603

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I think you'd be better off keeping an eye on current developments in Blender. Node-based compositing, motion tracking, 3D modelling and animation... add the fact that it's a highly stable app available on all three major OS's and it looks pretty good to me.

When you consider that it's also user-extensible using Python scripting, why are you hanging round waiting for Jahshaka?

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18606

• tsm767
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
The thing is, I have never really used Blender besides a few years ago. At that time, it was strictly a modeling software, so I had no interest. Jahshaka, on the other hand, was far better for compositing, so that is what I used for those kinds of jobs. Then in mid 2011, after I had gravitated away from open source and started using things like FCP, I heard about the Jahshaka relaunch. So, having used it before, Jahshaka became my interest. Also, the interface looks quite intuitive.
But wow. I really had no idea Blender evolving so rapidly. Maybe i'll check it out!

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18615

• sethkersey
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I thought the Blender tracking progress, such as the digital makeup shown at the link below, might interest you while you wait for news on Jahshaka.

vimeo.com/34410592

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18625

• tsm767
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Wow, that's amazing! I guess Blender is more powerful than I thought.

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18634

• arthurd
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I have many concerns about Jahshaka that if not addressed will prevent it from being taken seriously in a professional environment. One concern is the chaotic interface it had. Tools that worked in one part of the program worked differently, didn't exist or didn't work in another part. One of the bigger problems it had was linear key frames. I mean one could manually key in ease, but that's a lot of waisted effort when Blender and Ramen have full F-curve editors and even Wax has basic key frame easing. The node linking in Jahshaka was nothing more than a visualized stack, and with out layer linking like in After FX it's compositing capabilities were limited. I don't believe it had any vector or paint based masking tools beyond it's 2d paint program and titler meaning currently Wax has more video compositing power than Jahshaka 2. I'm hoping all these things will get resolved with the new version of Jahshaka, but there's a lot of ground to cover. The two main things that keep me looking at Jashaka is that it is the only free dedicated layer based FX editor I know of besides Wax, and it rendered very quickly. The fact Wax works as a plug-in for Lightworks in my opinion is a huge bonus for wax. For any compositing more serious than that I'd choose a nodal solution like Blender or Ramen.
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by arthurd.

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18639

• syndic3d
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
@tsm767

@jwrl is right when he suggested to keep an eye on the developments of Blender especially for its node-based compositing,camera tracking and 3D modeling/animation. Blender Foundation is going to commence with another open source movie project very soon. This time, the project will be live action. The foundation intends to improve on Blender's node-based compositing and other visual effects functionalities for the open source movie project.

I am also curious about how Jahshaka will be released. I have tinkered with Jahshaka before but I didn't find that the software had enough power to handle 1080p video (it was buggy and crashed more often last I remembered).

I'm excited about Blender and the coming Jahshaka 3.0. I'm hoping to have both of these apps to make a great complement to the Lightworks workflow.

Here's hoping <crossing fingers>!

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18676

• sotitomo
jwrl wrote:
I think you'd be better off keeping an eye on current developments in Blender. Node-based compositing, motion tracking, ...

I've been hearing a lot about Blender's camera tracking or motion tracking lately. I guess this must be a new or at least recently improved feature? Is this a real camera tracker as in a 3D matchmover? How does it compare to something like Syntheyes for example?

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18678

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Go to www.blender.org and find out. Search for "tomato" (no, I'm not joking).

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18681

• syndic3d
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Here's the link to the Blender Foundation's next Open Movie Project (Mango).

mango.blender.org/

Around 5 days to go for Jahshaka 3.0!

Can't wait to try Jahshaka 3 out to see if it'll complement with the Lightworks toolset.

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18683

• JMovie
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
OMG,
It's been a while since I last tested Blender, all I can say is... Wow!
It must have undergone some serious development.

A QnD camera track test from yesterday:

vimeo.com/35574638

Pass: Blender

(Given any 3d app experience you'll setup, track AND render the above in less than 1 hour)

Re: Thoughts on Jahshaka 3.0 9 years, 1 month ago #18816

• Outworld
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Hey the Jahshaka countdown is over. Someone now what´s up?
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top