Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:

TOPIC: How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera?

How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera? 1 week, 3 days ago #178862

• Danas_Anis
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Hello,

I was just reading about Flow Story from Editshare and how fast it is and that it supports many video formats, so I've got wondering how well does it work with footage straight out of cameras like sony A7s etc? is it same as in Lightworks, when it is better to transcode everything to Cineform and similar intermediate formats or it plays well with no conversions at all?
Kind regards,
Danas
issuu.com/c3de
www.danas-imaging.com

DELL Precision M5520; Intel Core i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.7 GHz; 16GiB of RAM; Nvidia Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5 / Intel HD Graphics 530 ,

DELL XPS L502X; Intel Core i-7-2630QM CPU @ 2.0 GHz; 8GB RAM; NVidia GeForce 540M 2Gb.

Kubuntu 16.04

Re: How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera? 1 week, 3 days ago #178873

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Flow Story is part of Flow, a production media asset management (PAM) platform; Flow can ingest, transcode and manage media as part of editorial workflows.

According to Editshare:
"Flow Story supports hundreds of formats, from professional broadcast codecs such as ProRes, DNxHD, AVC-Intra and XDCAM, through to 4K and beyond, such as RED R3D, XAVC, Cinema DNG and DPX. As well as working with low-resolution proxy files, you can import and export almost any format locally. You have the option to switch between hi-res or proxy media on the fly."

So it looks pretty similar to Lightworks regarding the format support.

Re: How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera? 1 week, 3 days ago #178875

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
As a Lightworks spin off, I would have thought that Flow Story is coded and maintained mainly by Lighwtorks developers which might explain some pretty long beta phase of Lightworks itself.

I can't imagine that the decoding engine and overall system performance on the same hardware is much different from Lightworks.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera? 1 week, 3 days ago #178890

• Danas_Anis
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
I was just curious how Flow works and if it is handling long gop material better or not. Because XAVC and similar files performance is not impressive to me on lwks and was wondering if Flow had a different way of handling such files, you know, no need to transcode to something like cineform etc. Just looking for possible ways to fasten workflow for projects, that need edit instantly, like film an event and edit it's video to show on the finale of the event on the screen. No time to transcode, just Drag n drop, cut, slide, move there and there, export and show it on the big stage screen.
Kind regards,
Danas
issuu.com/c3de
www.danas-imaging.com

DELL Precision M5520; Intel Core i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.7 GHz; 16GiB of RAM; Nvidia Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5 / Intel HD Graphics 530 ,

DELL XPS L502X; Intel Core i-7-2630QM CPU @ 2.0 GHz; 8GB RAM; NVidia GeForce 540M 2Gb.

Kubuntu 16.04

Re: How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera? 1 week, 3 days ago #178899

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
afaik it should work the same (flow story), probably sometimes flow story is ahead before available in lwks.
s

Re: How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera? 1 week, 3 days ago #178911

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Danas_Anis wrote:
Just looking for possible ways to fasten workflow for projects, that need edit instantly, like film an event and edit it's video to show on the finale of the event on the screen. No time to transcode, just Drag n drop, cut, slide, move there and there, export and show it on the big stage screen.

All that in 4K XAVC-L and on the hardware you show? I'm not sure if there's any NLE which does that fluently, do you know any?

Some thoughts:

Cineform encoding in Lightworks is comparably fast. Isn't there time to create internal proxies in Lightworks?

Some Sony cameras allow for recording XAVC-S proxies side by side with full resolution media. I don't know if the A7s does?

External display devices like Atomos Ninja Inferno allow direct recording in ProRes HQ to SSD. When using a fast interface to attach the SSD to your computer you might be able to edit full resolution media directly and fluently.

Re: How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera? 5 days, 19 hours ago #179302

• Danas_Anis
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 19 hours ago
no, no 4k yet. we still have plenty of projects in 1080p (although Edius 8 has no problem to play even 4k XAVC on my precision 5520 but that is a different story)
I just want to push my colleagues to migrate to Lightworks, however due to the amount of material and no will to transcode, I fail to do that. Anyway, if the FLow story handles long gop same way as Lightworks I guess it wouldn;t fit the needs either.
Kind regards,
Danas
issuu.com/c3de
www.danas-imaging.com

Kubuntu 16.04

Re: How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera? 5 days, 19 hours ago #179303

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 19 hours ago
Proxy editing makes sense for 4k material, it saves the workload on the computer with large projects.

Flow Story is intended to fit within the Flow media management, you would need to investigate if it can work by itself outside of that environment.

Re: How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera? 4 days, 15 hours ago #179361

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 15 hours ago
Long GOP AVCHD codecs like XAVC run just fine natively on the laptop in my sig below as long as the data rates are 35Mbps and up. 100Mbps-200Mbps high quality i-frame recordings run best. Higher compression, lower data rates require more processing power to decode. Performance is significantly improved in V14.5 all around.
For best performance the video files should not be stored on your system drive, but on a separate dedicated media drive. 200Mbps video will run fine off of a 7200 RPM spinner or SSD external USB3 5Gbps drive
If you are doing multi-camera event recording, make sure all the cameras are set the same.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: How well does Flow Story work with files out of camera? 4 days, 15 hours ago #179363

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 15 hours ago
From some publication about Edius 9 I gathered that they claim to have improved performance significantly, while editing and on export. I think, they optimized some kind of hardware acceleration based on Qicksync on newer generations of Intel CPUs, but I didn't understand exactly how that works. Performance seems to be something they are focused on.

Would be interesting to hear if anybody has perfomed some tests to compare with Lightworks (or others) under real world conditions on the same hardware. Unfortunately I have a CPU which doesn't support Quicksync, otherwise I would have downloaded the test version.
Last Edit: 4 days, 15 hours ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top