Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Linux and the future

Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138439

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Moderated: This was moved out of a thread started by a beginner asking for help with learning editing. Since it was heading in a direction that really was not likely to be particularly helpful to a beginner I have moved it here. David, since you are the official thread starter of this new thread you might like to edit it and give it a title that you feel suits it better - jwrl.

The full up $30k hardware suite version of Resolve runs on Linux. It is a practical OS for custom developed dedicated hardware applications. It is the backbone of most serious server farms.
How many magazine articles have you seen on Assimilate Scratch or Filmlight Baselight or any of Autodesk's high end production applications?
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by jwrl.

Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138445

• dvcinlv
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Resolve's price for Linux is indeed crazy. But to use anything but OS X and.or Windows makes no sense. There was just a good story on the death of Linux. Governments in Europe who put Linux-only rules into force to save money are removing the rules. Why?
Not because Linux is bad.

It has no software anyone in business uses nor anything a town government wants. No one wants a to find-out later the pseudo Excel they used for a budget generates numbers that don't work with the Federal govt.

Finding anyone who can install and maintain Linux on a country-or multi-national wide basis AND WHO IS ON A COMPANY'S OR GOVERNMENT'S APPROVED LIST IS A PROBLEM.

And a small operation can't afford to market a service based on an IT dept. (maybe the owner) that doesn't use software no or few few customers have ever heard of. And, that goes for editing. If you can't afford a new computer running Windows you are running a hobby.

Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138447

• dvcinlv
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
How many magazine articles have you seen on Assimilate Scratch or Filmlight Baselight or any of Autodesk's high end production applications?

Gratuitous, off topic negativity about LW has been redacted - rwav

PS: logging has always been done by DAs. It would be great if the WHY of logging was taught along with Bins and Subclips. If you write a WHY to LOG article with your own film's examples I'll get it published.
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by RWAV.

Re: Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138455

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
On the Spotlight page there are interviews with four editors other than Thelma Schoonmaker who use Lightworks.
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103&Itemid=214
It doesn't have the market penetration as an open platform NLE that FCP or Premiere or Avid have. But it has only been an open platform product as opposed to a dedicated hardware product, since the first Windows release in 2012.
I watched an NAB panel discussion a year or so ago about NLE's and every editor on the panel used Premiere, but only for transcoding as it has the broadest codec support. That particular group was split between Avid and FCP7 for general editorial use. None used FCPX.
It has been a long time since the post, but a British TV series editor posted a story comparing Lightworks to Avid on a weekly series he edited that shot alternate week episodes with two different production teams. For one team he used Avid, the other Lightworks. An episode took him six hours to edit on Avid, only two on Lightworks.
Here is a global list of schools teaching Lightworks:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_lwks&view=institutions
I would call that pretty good market development in just four years.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138464

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
I don't think stripping Lightworks of any of its high end production support features would benefit potential market growth in emerging large scale network based production environments.
I think Editshare bought Lightworks because it is a good fit with their NAS broadcast server product lines and it has undergone quite rapid development in the few years it has been available.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU

Re: Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138470

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
For the purposes I use Lightworks it's the best NLE I know. I use it on all three available platforms, projects are perfectly interchangable. I truly appreciate the fast workflow, not overfeatured, focused to the essential.

I konw and have used several other NLEs, I prefer Lightworks, would I be here otherwise?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138476

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
PS: logging has always been done by DAs
No, universally it hasn't - NLE logging and organising into material into the particular format preferred by the editor has 'always' been the duty of an Assistant editor - depending on the size of production that might be shared by the media loader and the second assistant editor - on a smaller production the first/only assistant editor will do that or even smaller productions the editor herself.

The logging tasks will often but not always be guided by a DA's or Script Assistant's mark-up script and the sound department's log sheets.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138477

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Could provocation be a way some people use to learn facts about the real world? Their hubris is impressive, some call them trolls, don't they?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138484

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Unfortunately, inconsistency and inaccuracies can also enter into their arguments. Positive suggestions and proposals generally work best for improving a product.

Re: Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138487

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
hugly wrote:
For the purposes I use Lightworks it's the best NLE I know. I use it on all three available platforms, projects are perfectly interchangable. I truly appreciate the fast workflow, not overfeatured, focused to the essential.

I konw and have used several other NLEs, I prefer Lightworks, would I be here otherwise?

+1! I'm Windows only, but Lightworks just clicked for me from day one in a way Premiere never did.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU

Re: Linux and the future 1 year, 2 months ago #138516

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Hot news. Resolve will be is now avaliable for Linux, finally, not only with advanced panel. Confirmed by BMD Product Manager few moments ago.

EDIT: It is already available for download.
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by gr00by.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds
Scroll To Top