Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Some really useful hints for new users!

Some really useful hints for new users! 7 years, 9 months ago #5580

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
As I'm a Lightworks beginner too, I'm not posting this from an expert's point of view, just sharing a few impressions that may be helpful to someone that just downloaded LW and feels such lost as I when I did it.
I guess my first mistake with Lightworks was to assume it must respond to my actions the same way that Premiere and other Windows NLE do, mainly in trimming tasks.

Understanding "Click and Drag" vs "Mark and Park" issue was the key to enjoy my experience with LW.
Every one who works under a Windows environment knows to "click and drag", "drag and drop", copy/cut and paste, etc. Right click with the mouse and you have a context menu...and, off course, "File", "Edit", "Help" and other "Windows menu bar options" in almost every application.
All NLE software I used are meant to be "Windows user friendly", wich make every windows user a
potential video editor because these software reproduce exactly the Windows's workflow.

Before I starting to work with NLE software, I edited video with 2 VCRs connected to a videomixer and a recorder. That previous experience gave me many clues to understand the "Mark and Park" method, because when I worked that way, I didn't click and drag, I only pressed buttons and used the shuttle control. Lightworks workflow makes me remind that way of doing things, I guess because it was developed at first to satisfy editors demands, reproducing the environment they were used to work at. (If I am wrong, please, correct me, it's only the way I feel about it).

Off course, there is click and drag in LW, it's just slightly different (pay close attention to the icons displayed when you hover the mouse over objects in the timeline -stripview in LW-).
The right mouse button is a powerful tool, not a secondary one. There are many major trimming tasks you do with it, even "right click and drag".
And the keyboard is also very important when you edit in Lightworks, you can (or better, you should) customize it to perform your most frequent tasks with it, it's a great time saver.

Don't get angry with LW if you try to do Premiere's things with the mouse and weird things happen...just think LW it's not Premiere or Vegas, and give yourself a chance to learn something that may expand your vision about editing video. That is happening to me and I am happily amazed!
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz - 16GB RAM DDR3
MoBo: Asus P8H77-M - Graphics: Geforce GT630 2GB DDR3
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)
LG M-Disc ready CD/DVD burner.
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Behringer MS16 monitor speakers
Contour Design Shuttle Pro v2
Last Edit: 7 years, 7 months ago by Forum Admin.
The topic has been locked.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top