TOPIC: Great News for Lightworks and QScan Users

Great News for Lightworks and QScan Users 1 month, 1 week ago #224938

• Matt Sandford
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Hi,

It is with great pleasure that I can announce the formation of, LWKS Software Ltd, a new, dynamic and forward-thinking company dedicated to the content creation industry. LWKS is now the proud owner of Lightworks editing and QScan quality control systems having reached an agreement to acquire the two business divisions from previous owner, EditShare.

LWKS’s management team is led by James Richings as Chairman, and Peter Lambert as CEO. As you may know, James was previously the joint managing director of EditShare, and Peter was EditShare’s Asia Sales Manager and a former Country Manager with Avid. Lightworks and QScan software development and product engineers are also part of the acquisition.

This is excellent news for Lightworks and QScan customers. We recognise that you are part of a loyal, worldwide user base who have carefully selected your craft software tools and wish to continue to use them. With both teams of software and product engineers now part of the LWKS family, and having worked alongside more than a million customers for over three decades, we are superbly positioned to develop and enhance the Lightworks and QScan software. With this in mind, we look forward to announcing new features and toolsets that will provide a fresh and innovative creative environment for all your projects.

I am thrilled to still be the Lightworks Product Manager and if you have any queries at all, I am happy to assist: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Matt
Lightworks Product Manager
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by Matt Sandford.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Great News for Lightworks and QScan Users 1 month, 1 week ago #224940

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Great news, Matt, and I'm personally extremely glad to see that you won't be deserting us either.

Re: Great News for Lightworks and QScan Users 1 month, 1 week ago #224943

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Good news Matt. This should allow Lightworks to move forward as a core product with QScan, a complimentary core product, both with a good team behind them.

Re: Great News for Lightworks and QScan Users 1 month, 1 week ago #224972

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Congratulations on this next step. Hoping it will bring Lightworks even more forward.

The team has done an amazing job so far and Lightworks has come a long way since 2010 when Editshare bought it. The team basically brought Lightworks back from the dead.

I can only look forward to what the team will do from now on with this new opportunity.

As jwrl, I'm also glad you are still onboard Matt. It wouldn't be the same without you man.

Congratulations and all the best for this new phase!

Cheers!
I'm not employed by or officially represent LWKS Software Ltd or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.

Re: Great News for Lightworks and QScan Users 1 month, 1 week ago #224982

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
I'm very much looking forward to see what the future brings us!
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Great News for Lightworks and QScan Users 1 month, 1 week ago #224991

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
This is indeed an historically significant development. LW has not been the core product for any owner since the sale by OLE to Tektronix. (Save for the brief period when Textronix more or less gifted the entirety of LW to Mark Pounds and it temporarily became Lightworks Inc based in Canada - arguably that was never a viable proposition - but it was a lifeline).

Tribalism is a real phenomenon, it carries with it sense of belonging, a single mindedness and a passion for achievement. Think about it - wherever in the world one might be - there are the camera people, the sound people, the grips, the production office people; they are identifiable and they identify with the values of their their tribal craft.

In development since 1989 and sold to Tektronix 5 years later as a last gasp of custom built EISA bus and SCSI technology, just a perfect fit it was thought to match Tektronix own woes.

LW has spent 26 years in other ownership. Even under significant advances as a Gee Broadcast product, Keith and Sarah Gee's contribution to LW is generally underestimated, it was not their principal product nor an adequate income stream.
Similarly for EditShare their acquisition of Gee Broadcast was for access to the Gee Server and Metadata Controller technologies; Lightworks was a like an almost accidentally discarded crumpled envelope at the bottom of the box

With this restructure and for the first time in 26 years, LW is owned and being guided by dedicated, determined extremely capable 'Lightworks People'. The tribe is not extinct

This is now a new entity, leaving behind all previous ideas and plans, a line is drawn.

LW is now the core product, there are new development plans, there are new investors but there are also mouths to feed and new product to release as soon as possible. LW needs this communities encouragement and support.

Consider this, at the next significant trade show, a dedicated Lightworks stand.
That prospect would have seemed inconceivable two days ago.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Great News for Lightworks and QScan Users 1 month, 1 week ago #224994

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
RWAV wrote:
Consider this, at the next significant trade show, a dedicated Lightworks stand.
That prospect would have seemed inconceivable two days ago.

I, for one, am looking forward to stopping by that booth to schmooze!
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top