Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shark regurgitates sometimes

Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #6066

• Odat
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I didn't see this posted anywhere yet and I'm not 100% sure that this is actually a bug, but the behavior at least seems inconsistent, so I thought I'd mention it.

If you shark some things (the Machine Room menu or the time code calculator for example, there may be others), the next time that you left click on the shark, the previously sharked item (or items if you did more than one and click more than once) reappear back where it was before it was sharked.

If you switch to another room in the project or go back to the lobby, it stops happening until the next time you shark one of those items.

Also, if you shark one of those items and then shark the Import window, it stops happening, but then sharking anything else causes it to start again.

Not a show stopper by any means, but it seemed worthy of a mention anyway in case it's a side effect of something more sinister. Certainly a good excuse to use Shark as a verb a lot.

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #6069

• Hammerhead
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
The shark should regurgitate any/all persistent objects when you click her (ie. those that remain in rooms when you exit and re-enter). The shark's stomach is emptied when you leave the room.
Lightworks development

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #6079

• Odat
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Yeah it totally seemed like it was a feature, except that I could only get it to spit out the machine room window and the time code calculator. Closing a bin, or an edit, or a viewer (as just three examples) didn't come back when I clicked the shark. In my initial test I tried all of the windows that you get by clicking a button from the tool bar (plus the machine room menu that I inadvertently opened and was the reason I found the thread about sharking windows in the first place).

Here at work on the machine I'm using to test it out, it actually DOES spit all of those windows back out. So maybe the bug is that it wasn't working correctly on my other computer?

I'll poke it some more when I get home from work, if for no other reason than to see if I was just hallucinating or something.

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #6082

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Odat wrote:
Closing a bin, or an edit, or a viewer (as just three examples) didn't come back when I clicked the shark.

I believe you have to make them persistent by re-naming them.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #6083

• Odat
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Here at work, I can shark permanent and transient bins, and both come back when I click the shark. However on my laptop at home, neither type of bin comes back after being sharked (when clicking the shark; the permanent bin can still be found via search).

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #6084

• Hammerhead
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Lightworks writes out a temporary file for each item that gets sharked (although I don't remember exactly where it puts them). Do you possibly have a permissions/non-admin difference between your two machines (which is preventing the temporary files from being written)?
Lightworks development

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #6085

• Odat
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
That may be a possibility. I'll check into it when I get home.

At home on my laptop my regular user account (WinXP) is the Administrator account (this is the computer where things go wrong).

Here I'm a regular user account (WinXP) but I'm part of a domain, and I have the LW shortcut set to prompt for credentials so that it always runs as Administrator, because otherwise LW refuses to start (displays a dialog that says that it's encountered a problem and needs to close).

Are the files saves in the same "all users" location that projects and such are saved in?

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #6087

• Hammerhead
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Are the files saves in the same "all users" location that projects and such are saved in?

I'd have to check that on Monday, but I think that they are written elsewhere - possibly the system 'temp' folder
Lightworks development

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #6094

• 2highlander
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Ahhhh - sharking! Maybe a popup with a list of sharked panels/windows wouldn`t be too bad when for example left-clicking the beast. This would be a nice feature!
Asus X99 MoBo, 5820 Haswell 6 Core CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia GForce GTX 970, System SSD 250GB Samsung EVO, Cache & TEMP SSD 64GB Sandisk, Data 1TB Western Digital, Video Data 2x 2TB Western Digital as Raid0, Preview on Matrox MXO2 mini

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #6155

• Odat
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I double checked at home but I don't think this is a permission issue. Or at least, the only directories I could find that had the read only attribute set were folders that it's likely not using (e.g. subversion control directories and such).

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #7031

• Hammerhead
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Shark data files are written to the current user's temp folder (eg. on my Windows 7 system, that's c:\users\Hammerhead\App Data\Local\Temp)
Lightworks development

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #7319

• Odat
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
As far as I can tell, that should map to "C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Temp" under XP (where %USERNAME% is of course the actual user).

I emptied out that folder, then fired up Lightworks and tried sharking some things.

At home, nothing new appeared in the folder when I did that at all, regardless of what I sharked.

Here at work I tried the same thing, and files started showing up in Administrator account's temp directory (I have to run as Admin or it won't start on this machine). The files are named "lwks#.crp" with ascending numbers, and appear to contain exactly what you'd expect to see in the room files for the sharked windows so I assume that's the right stuff.

Now that I know what it is I'm looking for, when I get home I'm going to do a more exhaustive search to see if something like that is showing up somewhere or not. I assume the files have to be going somewhere since some things do in fact come back.

Incidentally, sharking the VectorScope and then bringing it back causes the same crash (in 10.0.3) that it causes if you try to enter a room that had the VS open (which I reported here). That thread mentioned that the bug is now fixed in the next beta version. I assume that fix would cover this situation of restoring the scope as well? (thought I'd mention it just in case).

Re: Shark regurgitates sometimes 9 years, 1 month ago #7322

• Hammerhead
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I assume that fix would cover this situation of restoring the scope as well?

Yes - there was a bug in the vectorscope de-persistence logic which accounts for both crashes
Lightworks development
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top