Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Boris FX plugin crashing

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238299

Gah! The file is 20.3! mb. I'll do a 'wet transfer'

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238300

Transfer link: we.tl/t-C4ZL55fmYX

When you launch the Boris Plugin, you can choose any filter, click apply, and once you do, the Boris UI will disappear and you will be kicked out onto desktop. Once you click back onto Lightworks, you'll find that Lightworks is frozen and (at least for me)you get a windows error sound. You have to use task manager to force quit.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238320

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
That just reveals sloppy testing of the current fix. I don't think that the crash has anything to do with the BCC Pixel Chooser, but with the playback format of your sequence, which is set to DCI 4K. Setting it to 1080p should fix it, at least it does on my system. Do you really need resolution above HD? The rendering times will be enormous.

However, that isn't the only issue. I'm not sure if there's major interest in fixing Boris related long term issues. That's because the legacy plugins have been announced to be abandoned and replaced with something better in the near future, whatever that means.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238343

Hello.

I don't think the crash has anything to do with the pixel chooser either, as the crash now happens just by adding the plugin and applying it. You don't need to even ADD a filter.

The format shouldn't be set that high, as it IS normally 1080, so I have no idea what's happened there.

I hope lightworks will stop offering the package as a free incentive then if the legacy software is going to get forgotten about.

I've had issues with it since day 1 of purchase (and no-one could seem to solve THAT problem either)this one is just the cherry on the top.

Thank you for trying to help.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238345

I checked the project settings of the archived project I sent you and this is what I have.
Is that the wrong setting? Because I can't see any other 1080 settings at that FPS.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238346

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
And your Sequence in Lightworks?

hugly wrote:
.. but with the playback format of your sequence, which is set to DCI 4K. Setting it to 1080p should fix it, at least it does on my system.

Note that in new Lightworks versions the playback format is no longer set globally in the project settings, but in the sequence settings themselves.
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289&Itemid=283
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.2 || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238347

That's good to know. Thank you.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238348

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Paranormal Dissonance wrote:
I checked the project settings of the archived project I sent you and this is what I have.
Is that the wrong setting? Because I can't see any other 1080 settings at that FPS.

I mean the Lightworks setting, the playback format of the sequence. Right click on the timeline in Lightworks to see it. The Boris settings should match the Ligthworks settings in terms of frame dimensions and frame rate in order to see what you'll get, thus the settings you show are also wrong, but I don't know if the Boris settings have any impact on the crash.

Change the playback format of the sequence in Lightworks to 1080p and see what happens.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238350

I set the settings as you asked, and the issue still occurs.
I've only just installed the newer version, the problem also occurred with my old version (14.5)
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238353

I've cleaned my temp files in case there was an issue there and that didn't change anything either.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238356

Ok, I don't know if this means anything, but...
I loaded up Lightworks, then added Boris Fx, launched it and then I checked Task Manager.
Lightworks was in 'apps' and Boris appeared in 'background processes' does that have any bearing?

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238358

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I posted a bug report with the issue I can reproduce. That's all I can do for you for now.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=588&id=238357&Itemid=81

If you refer to V14.5, I'm afraid that you'll have to live what you got, because I'm not aware that Lightworks ever delivered patches/bug fixes for outdated releases.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238359

Maybe I should just upgrade Boris when I can afford it. Though that leaves me unable to do any work for a while.
Thank you everyone for all your help and advice.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238361

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Unfortunately, there is no upgrade for Boris as Lightworks plugin, Boris FX and Graffiti are out of service for quite a while. The current Boris effect suite uses interfaces which are not compatible with Lightworks, beside of that, it's quite expensive.

You can upgrade Lightworks and hope that they'll fix known issues with the plugin, but I cannot say how likely that is.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 month ago #238365

That's a little depressing.
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds
Scroll To Top