Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Boris FX plugin crashing

Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238203

I was using the Boris FX plugin in Lightworks, learning to use the pixel chooser.
After I had created the effect that I wanted, I clicked 'apply' and noticed that the effects hadn't saved. When I tried to click on the plugin, Lightworks had frozen and I had to force quit the program.
On reloading, I have found that the plugin will open, you can use filters, but again, they do not save, and Lightworks becomes frozen and again needing a force quit.

I have tried Boris FX as a standalone, and it works fine - so the issue is through Lightworks.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238204

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Which Lightworks version are you using?

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238205

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238213

I have run a memory diagnostic and there are no errors.
I am going to try to uninstall and reinstall. Will I have to re-register the product if I do?

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238219

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Registering, Downloading and Activating your Boris Product(s)

Instructions to help get you started:

1. Registering
In order to get started using Lightworks with Boris you will first need to register an account with them here: www.borisfx.com/register. If you already have an account registered proceed with downloading your product via the link below.

2. Downloading
You can download your product(s) from here: www.borisfx.com/support/downloads/. Please select the correct product(s) for which you have an activation code and be sure to select the correct host “Lightworks 12” for your operating system (Windows 64bit, Mac OS X). You will be prompted to sign in to prior to the download, if you are not already signed in to their site.

From that I would assume that you're already registered, but you will need to use the activation code if you're going to uninstall and reinstall Boris FX. It may become an issue if you haven't got the required information for the above.

Have you got an outright license for the V14 series? The V2021.2 beta had a similar issue recently, but this was solved by a fix.
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by briandrys.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238229

Hello.

I don't think that Boris is the issue, I believe it may be lightworks itself.
Boris works fine as a standalone, but when loaded as a plugin it has the above issues.
It is lightworks that I intended to clean re-install.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238232

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
I don't think that re-installing Lightworks will help. Of course, you can try it nevertheless.

Furthermore, you shouldn't expect to see any fixes with Lightworks V14.5. The best bet you have is installing the latest 2021.1 2021.2 beta build to benefit from the latest fixes (if your license is valid for 2021.2) and see if this changes anything. If it doesn't, you can report in beta forums to gain a fair chance to see reproducible issues fixed with one of the next builds.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238233

How do I tell if my license is valid for version 2021.2?

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238235

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Install 2021.2 side by side with you current version by specifying a different destination folder when installing. On bottom center of the project browser (the start screen), you'll find the version information. If it shows 'Lightworks Pro 2021.2' your current license is valid, if it shows 'Lightworks 2021.2', it isn't.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238236

Thank you

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238237

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Side notes: The previews in Boris and Lightworks can differ, for example, if the format settings of the programs are different, especially if effects do not affect the entire frame.
When keyframing effects, you may also need to consider different timeline positions in Boris and Lightworks.

Personally, I don't have any real experience with Boris, I've only experimented with it a bit.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.1 & 2021.2 (& old 14.x , 2020.x) || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238238

I have had Pro Lightworks and Boris for around a year now. I'm very familiar with how they both work. That is, except for the pixel chooser, which is what seems to have caused this issue.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238241

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
If you have a one year Pro license you can upgrade to the V2021 version without any problem. If you've got the Outright License, that applies only to your current version, which fini8shed with V2020.1, the last of the V14 series.

The Pixel Chooser appears to work in the latest V2021.2 beta.

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238242

I have an outright license

Re: Boris FX plugin crashing 1 week, 4 days ago #238244

Does this mean that this issue wont be fixable? If my license is outright and my version 14.5?
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Scroll To Top