Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project

Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project 1 month ago #225477

Hi, my project was already finished and then I just wanted to check it and I found out, that lightworks crashes, when I try to open it. I tried to restore items from backup, but it still crashes and I tried to export it to the flexible mode, but I can´t find the projects folder inside the lightworks folder, when I am trying to export it. The project is pretty long (it is about 20 min long) and it consists of photos only and some of these photos have positioning effects on them. These crashes started to appear after I restored items from another project. Can anybody help me please?

Re: Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project 1 month ago #225480

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Do you have manually created backups (Lightworks archives) of your project?

Zdar vrat mi muj projekt wrote:
.. I tried to export it to the flexible mode, but ..

To avoid misunderstandings: Did you previously work in a fixed layout in the project (which doesn't work anymore) and now try to open the project in a flexible layout?
To switch to the flexible layout: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=26&id=142324&Itemid=81#179165
.. nothing has to be exported or copied.

Or did you work successfully in the flexible layout before?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project 1 month ago #225485

I don´t have manually created backup when it comes to this project and yes I have previously worked only in the fixed layout and I did not know, that there is any flexible layout until I had the problem mentioned in this topic. I was just trying to switch to flexible layout, because I saw it as a suggestion in similar topics on this forum. I know how to switch that in that upper right corner, but I am unable to import the project to that flexible mode, because when I try to do so, I am unable to choose the Projects folder, which is inside Lightworks folder.

Re: Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project 1 month ago #225486

but the thing is, that it crashes in the flexible mode as well, even in the case, when I don´t have to import anything. I mean - when I just change the option and then try to open the project as I would normally do it.

Re: Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project 1 month ago #225487

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I mean - when I just change the option and then try to open the project as I would normally do it.

This is correct so far.

but the thing is, that it crashes in the flexible mode as well ..

Ok, the project in the flexible layout can optionally be opened with the right mouse button in a newly created (empty) room:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

If that succeeds (empty Room),
www.lwks.com/media/kunena/attachments/122736/Fliexible-1.jpg
(Image is from: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=26&id=142324&Itemid=81)
then you have succeeded in opening the project. Now you can search for the reason for the crash.
For example, the old room may be damaged, or the sequence, parts of it, or other elements may be damaged. If everything works in this new room, then the old room is probably damaged.

Or can't you even open a new empty room in your project?
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project 1 month ago #225579

I can't open a new empty room in my project. It crashes as well. :/ But thanks for the suggestions.

Re: Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project 1 month ago #225584

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
This sounds like a serious project error.

Sometimes it helps to open the project with another Lightworks version. Do you use version 14.0, 14.5, 2020.1, or 2020.1.1 ?
On Windows systems you can install several versions side by side if you choose different installation folders during the installation.

.. These crashes started to appear after I restored items from another project..

You could temporarily rename the Media and Effect Templates folders in the Lightworks folder (not in the installation folder). Then Lightworks will create new empty folders (all media and user effects offline). It can be a good idea to make a backup copy of the Lightworks folder before.
Please do not work in other projects during this test, because for certain activities these new temporary folders are used now.

Restart Lightworks. Test if a new empty room can be opened now. If so, further investigations on these folders are necessary. If that doesn't help (as I suspect) delete the automatically created new folders, undo the renaming of the original folders, and restart Lightworks.

.. I am unable to choose the Projects folder, which is inside Lightworks folder..
You only need the project folder if you want to send it to experts like the developers for analysis or repair (if they have the time). If you point to the project tile with the mouse when the project is closed, the location and name of the corresponding project folder should be displayed.
There is a user in the forum who often privately fixed project folders of other users, but I don't know when he is back online and if he has time for it.

To minimize such problems in the future: Do you know how to create manual project backups?

Re: Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project 4 weeks, 1 day ago #225813

I am really thankful for Your reply. I am sorry, that my response is kind of late. My version is 14.0. I am not sure, if it is 2020.1 or 2020.1.1.

The thing is, that i have spent relatively a lot of time on that project and I am not sure how to prevent this error.

I am also thinking about solution to my another problem. Usually my projects consist of many photos and each of the photo lasts for the same amount of seconds and it is kind of long process for me to do that manually. Is there any way, in which I could just select all of the photos and assign them the same length at once? Is that possible with Lightworks or any other video editing freeware? I will still need to organize the photos. I mean - replacing or adding positioning effects, but Lightworks is really fine for this purpose, but this kind of errors are really a big question mark for me.

BUT HERE COMES THE BEST AND THE COOLEST PART - As I was writing this message and as I reached this exact part where I am right now, I was done installing the newer Lightworks version 14.5. (2020 1.1.) and You said me, that I can have several versions on my computer side by side, but I found out, that the older version was changed into the newer, so it was basically an actualisation and this has solved the problem. I can now open the project without any problem, so You have really helped me. Thank You very very much. I was hoping that I will not have to deal with the Media and Effect Templates folders, because I was little bit confused about it, but now the problem is solved and I can move to the next stage once again, which is great. Helpful people are the best and I really appreciate them, so You have my blessing.

Take care and stay safe.

Re: Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project 4 weeks, 1 day ago #225814

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
You'll which version in the centre below the projects browser, where lightworks opens on.

Re: Lightworks crashes, when I am trying to open a project 3 weeks, 6 days ago #225934

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 6 days ago
.. so it was basically an actualisation and this has solved the problem. I can now open the project without any problem,

Good that it worked.

My version is 14.0. I am not sure, if it is 2020.1 or 2020.1.1.

Neither of them. These are all different versions.
14.0 is the oldest of the versions I listed.
14.5 is a minor update within the 14.x series, but it's already obsolete.
During the beta phase of 14.6 (minor update) there was a decision to rename the version numbers to years. So 2020.1 is the new name for 14.6.
2020.1.1 is a small bug fix minor update from 2020.1.

Is there any way, in which I could just select all of the photos and assign them the same length at once?

There are several possibilities, but I do not work with many images. I can think of the following possibilities:
- Before import: Import in defined length (set with the right mouse button before import.

Or more flexible after the import :
- probably also multiple simultaneous segment length changes in the timeline with "Print" elements.
- For more flexibility I would probably personally prefer macros (many automated editing steps with only one keystroke or continuously as long as the key is pressed).

If you are interested in details, especially the more complex flexible solutions, a separate thread would be recommended.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top