Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out?

Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week, 1 day ago #223028

• chambers4444
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Hello,

I've been using lwks for awhile now and I have been continuously frustrated by the autosaving feature. Just a moment ago I tried to copy out an entire sequence, but after make, copy, all of my files in the existing project blacked out. Even if I hit cntrl Z they are blacked out and play no audio or video when I play them. Now the file is overwritten and I can't figure out how to get it to work again. The video was almost entirely done, but now I get no audio or video out of it.

Is there anyway to recover those videos or anything I can do to fix this? I've included a picture to this post.

I don't have a backup, I was actively working on this project. I had directly recorded audio over the video in lwks, is that saved anywhere? Or do I totally have to start from scratch again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week, 1 day ago #223030

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Hello,

One hint at the very beginning: If you don't feel comfortable with the autosave function, the best way to preserve a current state of your work as milestone is making manual backups on a regular basis. However, that doesn't help you with your current problem.

My problem is that I understand neither what happened nor what's damaged from your description and your screenshot. You show valid clips, but a black sequence viewer. Where is the clip at the position of the timeline marker? Press the N-key to reveal it in the filter 'Recent'.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week, 1 day ago #223031

• chambers4444
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Not understanding what's damaged or what happened is something we have in common.

Looking around at the "everything" filter I can see all of my audio recordings, so on the bright side I didn't lose any recordings or audio, but I will likely have to re-assemble it all.

The second image show shows the 'recent' filter. It looks like the video clips are there, but I do notice in the upper right of sequence 1 it says "missing source", does that give you any more info?

I did just go through and make backups of all my other projects.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week, 1 day ago #223033

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Missing source in blue letter on the sequence viewer isn't good news. It usually indicates that a clip has been manually deleted.

Please move the timeline marker over the timline, do all segments show missing source or are there some which don't?
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week, 1 day ago #223036

• chambers4444
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Unfortunately they do all say "missing source".

I did not manually delete them. Or at least, I did not knowingly delete them. All the actual clips are still there, but maybe I managed to delete them from the project by accident?

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week, 1 day ago #223038

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
chambers4444 wrote:
.. All the actual clips are still there ..

Do you mean the tiles in the clip filter of your project content?
Did you use other elements like subclips etc. that are no longer in the project content?
Manually deleted items can often be restored.

However, when you delete items in the Project Content, the segments in the sequence timeline are usually white.

Does anything change when you restart Lightworks (segment colors, black offline tiles in Project Content, etc.)?

Are there any other sequences (apart from the clipboard) in the sequence filter of your project content?

If your sequence is corrupted, you can try creating a Bin with older versions of the sequence from milestones (if available): www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=218636&Itemid=81#218672
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by schrauber.

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week, 1 day ago #223045

• chambers4444
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
By actual clips are still there, I mean the tiles appear next to the filter section (see image). When I load those clips in, I can see video and hear audio.

Nothing changes when I restart lwks sadly.

I tried making the bin of the milestones but all of those tiles in the project content section are blacked out and have the same message "missing source".

I appreciate all of the help folks!

If I have to re-assemble the project, luckily it looks like I can. Any other tips or things I could check would be much appreciated though.
Attachments:

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week, 1 day ago #223048

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Still, it's a mystery to me how this can happen all of a sudden.

Would you mind zipping and posting your project folder? It contains only metadata, no media. Maybe I can find something which helps understanding. To reveal the location, on the panel 'Project.Details, click on the path next to 'Location' .

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week ago #223060

Sure! I've attached the project folder
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week ago #223062

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
Thanks. Will have a look into it, but you shouldn't expect to much. Be prepared to start all over again.

Did you ever use any of the functions 'Move to' or 'Add to'?

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week ago #223068

That was an great suggestion!!!!! I found the files. The entire sequence had been moved to the dummy file I made where I had planned to mess around with it.

I had made a copy and then I must have moved them to the new project. I didn't realize that would delete them out of the existing one, is that common?

Either way I have my full sequence and don't need to remake it. Thank you all for the help, sorry if my first few messages sounded exasperated, I was quite frustrated but I really appreciate the quick responses

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week ago #223069

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
If you chose "Move to", Lightworks thinks that you no longer want the elements in this project.
If you choose "Add to", the elements should remain in the project (shared media).
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week ago #223084

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
chambers4444 wrote:
I had made a copy and then I must have moved them to the new project. I didn't realize that would delete them out of the existing one, is that common?
Yes it is. That's why 'Move to' is a very dangerous operation, if you are not aware of the logic.

When moving a sequence to another project, all clips used in that sequence are moved as well. All moved clips which are used in other sequences of the current project appear immediately as deleted.

The fix is moving the objects back and using 'Add to' instead of 'Move to'. It shares the clips instead of moving them.

However, from a practical point of view', if you aren't aware of the logic, 'Add to' is even more dangerous. It creates distant and not obvious side effects, meaning if a shared clip is deleted in one projects, it's lost in all projects which share it. The only way to recover in this case is to restore the deleted clip in the project it has been deleted from, but restoring clips works only with linked media, not with media transcoded or copied on import.
Last Edit: 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Help please, all videos/audio blacked out? 1 week ago #223090

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week ago
In any case, the underlying logic of moving or adding you sequence to a new project because you want to "mess around with it" is flawed. You can make as many copies as you like of a sequence that you want to experiment with, and professional editors often do exactly that.

As long as you name your copies clearly (and Lightworks will even do that for you) it doesn't matter how many copies you make of your sequence. Changing one copy will not affect any others.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top