Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Performance issues

Performance issues 2 weeks, 2 days ago #221048

• JFBibs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
I've been using Lightworks for years but I'm about to throw in the towel. At least for this one project I'm doing now.

It's only 6 minutes long, only has about 30 source clips, at 30 fps, but playback of my sequence is all but impossible. It'll start playing but then the display will freeze (although the red marker continues to move forward). If I try to move frame-by-frame, it takes Lightworks a full 9 seconds to bring up the next frame!

I just installed the latest version, 64 bit. My computer has 6 GB of RAM (5.19 usable). Thank you!

Re: Performance issues 2 weeks, 2 days ago #221049

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
6GB of RAM isn't that much these days.

Have you tried using the internal proxy editing?

Re: Performance issues 2 weeks, 2 days ago #221053

• JFBibs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
What's that?

Re: Performance issues 2 weeks, 2 days ago #221054

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
The User guide gives this:

If you have media files that use high CPU processing or large amounts of memory, you may find
they do not playback smoothly on your system. You can improve the playback response of your
media if you create proxy versions of your files instead. See “Proxies Tab” on page 125 for more
information on changing the settings for your proxy media.

You'll find out more on P144 and 145 in the V2020,1 User Guide, which can be found in downloads > documentation.

Re: Performance issues 2 weeks, 2 days ago #221057

• JFBibs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
I already did some research on proxy and I think it has the potential of making my editing smoother, sure.

But on a whim I already performed a rendering of the video and I think I have a bigger problem. The rendered video displays out-of-order frames at cut points and similar ugly symptoms. Having a smoother editing process isn't going to be of any help in the end if the rendered video is choppy.

Re: Performance issues 2 weeks, 2 days ago #221059

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Hello,

JFBibs wrote:
I've been using Lightworks for years but I'm about to throw in the towel. At least for this one project I'm doing now.

If everything was fine until now, the question is what has changed?

Make a guess, what could that be?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Performance issues 2 weeks, 2 days ago #221060

• JFBibs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Good approach, but it doesn't give me an obvious answer.

The only thing that's unsual about this projet compared to most of my other ones is that it involves video clips from a bunch of different sources. Filmed by different people on different cameras. But I did convert them to 30 fps, so I would think that wouldn't make a difference.

Re: Performance issues 2 weeks, 2 days ago #221061

• JFBibs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
At this junction, I have no idea if my project is going to render correctly, but I just want to say this proxy business is AMAZING. I should've known about it years ago. At the very least, thank you immensely for that!

Re: Performance issues 2 weeks, 2 days ago #221062

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
JFBibs wrote:
Good approach, but it doesn't give me an obvious answer.

Prior to giving answers, I usually try to understand the problem, otherwise I would promote guesswork, which I dislike.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Performance issues 2 weeks, 2 days ago #221074

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
This sounds like you could be doing what has developed the name "virtual choir". Are these 30 clips being displayed simultaneously? Because if so you really need to be able to break the task down and export subsections then re-import them. If you had the professional licence you could render it, but as you're a free user that option isn't available to you.

If this what you're doing, check out USING MULTISCREEN EFFECTS TO BUILD COMPLEX IMAGE GROUPS. That should help your workflow.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top