Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: No Audio-Only Media Option in Import Commands Menu

No Audio-Only Media Option in Import Commands Menu 2 months ago #219363

As you can see in the attached image, I don't have the Audio-Only section in the Import Commands menu that would allow me to make sure that my pre-ingest sync settings for audio-only files is correct. This makes it really hard to make sure that things stay in sync like they should.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: No Audio-Only Media Option in Import Commands Menu 2 months ago #219364

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

Lightworks imports audio files the same as video files, but for pre-ingest sync the V2020.1 User Guide gives this on P214

Audio Files in 30 fps and 24 fps Projects
You may find audio files run at the incorrect speed in 30 fps or 24 fps projects. The default setting
for 24 fps projects is ‘picture at 24 fps’ but that the audio may run in sync with 23.98 or 25 fps
projects, likewise 30 fps audio can be synced to 23.97 fps.
Prior to import, you should always check the pre-ingest setting in the Audio only media menu as
follows:
STEPS
1. Navigate to the drive and folder containing the files you wish to import, and right-click on
the Import button.
2. From the menu that opens, select Audio-only mode > Pre-ingest sync.
3. From the Pre-ingest sync drop down list, select the frame rate you require.
4. Proceed to import your files as described in the previous sections.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by briandrys.

Re: No Audio-Only Media Option in Import Commands Menu 2 months ago #219375

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Unfortunately, the 2020.1 User Guide on page 214 is wrong.

The procedures have been changed, together with the import menu, but the manual hasn't been updated accordingly. It still tries to explain the procedure used with V14.5 and earlier.

Now, there are multiple ways to set the speed of audio-only media to match the speed of the related video media, pre-ingest and post ingest. I've detected three different ways to set it. Since all this is new, there's no experience how reliable it works.

Please try: From "Project.Video.Output.Format" set a matching frame rate, e.g. 29.97 for audio to match 29.97 fps video, or 30 for audio to match 30 fps video. Then import the audio. If you have a mix of frame rates, repeat for each frame rate. After import, you can check the assigned frame rate either on the File Card for each audio clip (F4), or under the column "Frame rate" of "Project Contents". If the column isn't listed on your system, , right-click on the columns headline in List View and enable "Frame rate".

Project Contents and the File Card are the places where you can change the frame rate of audio-only media post-ingest. That should even work with audio already edited in the timeline. However, I'd suggest avoiding this or, at least, checking closely for possible issues before proceeding, after a change..
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: No Audio-Only Media Option in Import Commands Menu 2 months ago #219395

Thanks for the information. I'll try that and report back.

Re: No Audio-Only Media Option in Import Commands Menu 2 months ago #219396

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
You're welcome!

I tested those feature, away from any production, only to see how they work, but not if the work as expected and robust. Any feedback on how it works for you when syncing sound, truly appreciated.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top