Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Two bugs: Multicam camera selection and website small problem

Two bugs: Multicam camera selection and website small problem 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218612

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
1. When clicking on the down arrow near "Category," which usually displays a drop-down list of categories for posts, the drop down appears for an instant and then disappears. This happens on both Firefox and Chromium.

2. PRO2020.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 in Flexible layout.

While live editing four cameras using both jog/shuttle and keyboard inputs, and with viewers stacked two over two:

A B
C D

Key “1” selects viewer A, “2” selects B, “3” selects C, and “4” selects D.

However, if I move the viewers around to, say

D A
B C

Key “1” will select D, “2” will select A, “3” will select B, and “4” selects C.

Regardless of the numbers assigned to viewers, and their relative positions in the multicam bin, keyboard inputs will always select viewers on this scheme

1 2
3 4

even if – in mid-edit – the positions of the viewers are changed.

Is this expected behavior? It’s different behavior than that shown in the tutorial video titled “Editing Multicam Sources.”
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy S7 with Filmic Pro*
*JVC GY-HM150*
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by geomcd1949. Reason: clarity

Re: Two bugs: Multicam camera selection and website small problem 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218615

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
I vote for a simple, user friendly and intuitive way to sort tiles in multicam bins with the mouse.

I think the best benchmark for a prototype should be: If children and grandmothers can understand it immediately, without any explanation, and have fun doing it, then its the right way to sort tiles in multicam bins.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Two bugs: Multicam camera selection and website small problem 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218617

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
@hugly -- Don't think this has anything to do with position of tiles in the bin, it's about the positions of the viewers during live editing. And I think the LWKS current way of numerically designating the viewers passes the critically important "children and grandmothers" test.

Keyboard inputs will select viewers in their real-time left-to-right and descending order, regardless of the camera number or position in a bin:

1 2 3 4, or

2 3 4

1 2
3 4

1 2 3
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Two bugs: Multicam camera selection and website small problem 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218619

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
The 4 sort orders you've listed are in fact one: '1, 2, 3, 4', but i don't understand how you can sort a multicam bin in the pattern you show in the second and forth block..

As mentioned in the other discussion, I use the tiles in multicam bins to populate the timeline, not the viewers - two reasons: The key assignment is obvious and, more essential, it's the only method available in the Fixed layout.

As soon as viewers are used to populate the timeline, the sort order of the viewers specifies the key assignment. This can lead to different layouts of the multicam bin and the viewers, which I find confusing. I never considered this to be a bug, but I've encounterd strange behaviour as soon as the sort orders differ. I didn't investigate that in more detail

However, I would wish to have a more intuitive way to sort tiles in multicam bins.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Two bugs: Multicam camera selection and website small problem 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218622

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
To be clear, the four sort orders I list are NOT tile orders in a multicam bin. They are possible orders of viewers on the GUI.

Don't know about the Fixed layout, but in Flexible I see that moving viewer positions in relation to one another doesn't change the positions of tiles in the bin.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by geomcd1949.

Re: Two bugs: Multicam camera selection and website small problem 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218623

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for clarifying.

No, moving viewers doesn't change position of the tiles in bin and vice versa. I didn't mean that. Have you ever tried to sort tiles in a multicam bin?

Now that I've invested some more time in trying live editing with the viewers in Flexible, I see that there's trouble with the key assignments when using the viewers and moving them around, after a while. Maintaining two GUIs, although closely related, seems to be a harder task than some may think.

Re: Two bugs: Multicam camera selection and website small problem 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218627

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
@hugly -- No, have never tried to sort tiles in a multicam bin. Before yesterday, never had such a bin with more than two.

In Flexible, have decided to place the viewers two over two in an order I choose, then rename the viewers 1, 2, 3, and 4 to correspond with the keys that call them. Changing a viewer's name also changes its name in the bin.

Q; Does changing a viewer's name (of a proxy) also change the name of the original clip?

Looked at this setup in Fixed. In Fixed, do we even have viewers? Can't find an option to Display or Hide them.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Two bugs: Multicam camera selection and website small problem 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218642

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
geomcd1949 wrote:
Q; Does changing a viewer's name (of a proxy) also change the name of the original clip?
Yes. In fact, proxies aren't treated as separate clips, they are alternative media.

Looked at this setup in Fixed. In Fixed, do we even have viewers?
No, not with the multicam bin. In Fixed layout it looks like this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

It's also possible to work on tiles in Flexible layout. Personally I prefer working on tiles,because it saves the time fiddling around with viewer positions, but that's perhaps just a matter of taste. Here you see both options:

Can't find an option to Display or Hide them.

Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top