Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Source viewer won't close

Source viewer won't close 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218241

• EricNtseeg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi. I'm using Lightworks version 14.5.0.0. I opened the Source Viewer so I could replace a clip, and now I can't get it to close. There is no x in the upper right hand corner to click to close the Source Viewer. I did a Google search about this, and found a post from 2 years and 8 months ago by a person who had the same problem, and the solution was to resize the source viewer until the x came into view. However, I am unable to resize the source viewer from the left or right margin in Edit view. The picture in the Source Viewer is overlapping the pictures in the Project Contents window, and no double-arrow appears when I hover the mouse around the area of overlap. In Edit view, I can get a double arrow at the bottom of the viewer, but moving that doesn't cause the x to appear. In Log view, I can get double-arrows at the bottom and left margins, but resizing in Log view doesn't make the x appear, either.

I'm attaching a screenshot showing the problem.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218242

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Please try: Switch the Lightworks window to full screen mode. If that doesn't fix the issue, drag the vertical line between the viewer and the 'Project Contents' window to resize.

V2020.1 is a bit more reliable in respect to mutilated GUI layouts.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218272

• EricNtseeg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply. Your suggestions didn't resolve the problem. In the User Manual, there are 2 methods listed for displaying a clip in full-screen mode (if that's what you meant), 1 - Pressing the Toggle Full Screen shortcut key, which is F12, and 2 - Double-clicking on the image in the viewer. Pressing F12 didn't do anything, but double-clicking on the image opened it into full-screen mode. However, clicking on the x in the upper right-hand corner in full screen mode just brought the clip back into source viewer mode, with no x in the upper right-hand corner. Or, if by "full-screen mode" you meant maximizing the screen by clicking on the square in the far upper-right corner of the screen, I tried that, too. Your second solution didn't work either, since, as I explained in my original post, the picture in the Source Viewer is overlapping the pictures in the Project Contents window, and no double-arrow appears when I hover the mouse around the area of overlap. In Edit view, I can get a double arrow at the bottom of the viewer, but moving that doesn't cause the x to appear. So I still am unable to close the Source Viewer.

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218274

• EricNtseeg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Update - I solved the problem, but it's tricky, so I'm passing it on to you in case others encounter this problem. I was using the mouse to move the cursor over all the areas around the source viewer picture, hoping I could find some solution, and I noticed that in the upper right hand corner of the picture, if the cursor was placed in one very small area, a hand symbol would appear along with the words "Hide the source viewer" (I'll attach a screenshot of this for you). When I clicked on that hand-symbol, the source viewer closed. Apparently, that's where the x is supposed to be, but it's not showing.

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218277

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
EricNtseeg wrote:
Your suggestions didn't resolve the problem.

I meant maximizing the window with Windows controls, by clicking on the little rectangle over white background up right next to the 'X' (or a double-click on the white bar on top).

If that doesn't help, try to shrink the timeline vertically.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218280

• EricNtseeg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply. As I stated in my 2nd message, I tried maximizing the Windows by clicking on the rectangle, but it didn't fix the problem. And shrinking the timeline vertically didn't work either. However, after I was able to close the Source Viewer in the way I described in my 3rd message, when I dragged down on the double-arrow at the bottom on the viewer (enlarging the source viewer picture and shrinking the timeline vertically), the x in the top right-hand corner of the Source Viewer re-appeared. But strangely, the double-arrow to enlarge the Source Viewer and shrink the timeline vertically has now disappeared. But I can live with that.

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 2 weeks ago #218281

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hopefully the work on the V2020.1 beta has prevented both the X getting lost and the vertical double headed arrow disappearing.

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 1 week ago #219048

• EricNtseeg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Hi. The problem has occurred again, and this time there was no hand symbol that would appear at the top of the Source Viewer that would enable me to close it. It appears that this time the Source Viewer image is larger than it was before. I can get a double arrow at the bottom of the Source Viewer, but trying to drag it doesn't move it. Also, the Controls at the bottom of the media viewer are hidden and can't be accessed.

However, I have found a workaround. It occurred to me that maybe resizing my display would help, and it did. I went into Windows 10 Settings > Display > Scale and Layout > Change the size of text, apps and other items, and changed it from 150% to 125%. This reduced the size of everything displayed on my computer screen, and it's not a convenient workaround, as the text for everything on the screen is now very small, but it enables me to use Lightworks, which appears small on the screen, and when opened to full screen, everything appears as it is supposed to. I will do this when I use Lightworks, and then switch back to 150% text size after I finish using it.
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by EricNtseeg.

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 1 week ago #219050

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Hello again,

I suspect you have upgraded to 2020.1 in the meanwhile and then, that isn't good to hear.

As a matter of interest, what is your display resolution?

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 1 week ago #219170

• EricNtseeg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I don't know if I have the 2020.1 version or not, but the Lightworks link I have on my desktop says 14.5.0.0
My display resolution is 1920 X 1080,

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 1 week ago #219172

• EricNtseeg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Today the controls at the bottom of the media viewer are showing, but I still can't close the Source Viewer. (That's at the 150% text size setting; I'm going to switch now to 125%, which should enable me to close it.)

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 1 week ago #219176

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Please upgrade to version 2020.1 - it has improvements related to smaller displays.
Lightworks Development

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 1 week ago #219181

• EricNtseeg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Ok. Thanks. If I upgrade, will the project I'm working on transfer into the new version correctly.

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 1 week ago #219184

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Should do.

I' switch between versions on the same projects very frequently.

Re: Source viewer won't close 2 months, 1 week ago #219189

• EricNtseeg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Ok. Thanks very much.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds
Scroll To Top