Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: TIMESTRETCH A VIDEO IN A SIMPLE WAY. POSSIBLE?

TIMESTRETCH A VIDEO IN A SIMPLE WAY. POSSIBLE? 1 week, 2 days ago #207575

• chj
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
As shown, the inaudible screen capture feature of my Huwei computer is not accurate, in that the video clip is shorter than the audio clip. I made the audio clip in Reaper, not via the Huawei capture feature.

Hence, I want to quickly resize the video so that it exactly matches the end of the audio clip. This means that to give speed in % is unsuitable. Strange to say, the optional feature selection (RESIZE, KEEP START FRAME, etc) becomes greyed out unless you enter one of the standard speed selections. So it actually seems like it is IMPOSSIBLE to add a % speed.

In REAPER, a DAW, the simple solution is: CTRL-ALT then click on either side of the clip and drag it to suitable length.

Is there a similar easy way in Lightworks? (Else, it is better for me to do this in Reaper as it has a video editing feature too that is quite nice).

I hope I am not going to need a macro plugin, because all the plugins I have previously installed are not there now with the latest 14.5 version installed today, so maintaining plugins seems like a timethief.

I am also searching a way to select e.g. 3 clips on their corresponding tracks, but not the other two tracks in the timeline (i.e. a total of 5 tracks in this case). The normal way "around" is to ctrl click those tracks you want to select, but I cannot make that work. An alternative way that is often used, is to group tracks and thus create an autonomic unit/group, but I cannot find that either. I am a little stuck in my quest to make LKWS do what I want to do.

Thanks for any response

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by chj.

Re: TIMESTRETCH A VIDEO IN A SIMPLE WAY. POSSIBLE? 1 week, 2 days ago #207592

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
The function 'Fit to fill' (ALT+V-key) does what you're asking for, but I don't understand how a speed change can fix your problem.

chj wrote:
This means that to give speed in % is unsuitable. Strange to say, the optional feature selection (RESIZE, KEEP START FRAME, etc) becomes greyed out unless you enter one of the standard speed selections. So it actually seems like it is IMPOSSIBLE to add a % speed.

When entering a Speed parameter manually, you have to terminate the entry with <enter> to proceed.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by hugly.

Re: TIMESTRETCH A VIDEO IN A SIMPLE WAY. POSSIBLE? 1 week, 2 days ago #207596

• chj
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Thanks.

It will fix the problem because by time stretching either the video or audio clip then there will be lip sync!

Re: TIMESTRETCH A VIDEO IN A SIMPLE WAY. POSSIBLE? 1 week, 1 day ago #207677

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
I've never used it before, but just tested the feature to change speed by trimming with Reaper and it appears pretty simple and intuitive. Would be nice to have a trim mode for speed changes in Lightworks!

Have you tried 'Fit to fill' with your media? Does it work for you?

Re: TIMESTRETCH A VIDEO IN A SIMPLE WAY. POSSIBLE? 1 week ago #207686

• chj
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week ago
I did it in Reaper, all well. How could we convince the LKWS R&D team to study Reaper? This is not the only feature that is elegant in Reaper. Each time I go back to LKWS, I get the "oh this is the old way of doing it" feeling. I would say that to renew these timeline editor features is the missing link in LKWS. All the rest is completely superior to those video editor applications I have tried.

How could we convince them? Are they reading this, for example?

Re: TIMESTRETCH A VIDEO IN A SIMPLE WAY. POSSIBLE? 1 week ago #207687

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week ago
Unfortunately, what may work for you may not work for other users, there is a NLE based on a DAW on the market. NLEs are personal devices and users have differing ways of working.

You're welcome to put in a feature request for a speed change by trimming on Lightworks. As mentioned, there is currently a fit to fill feature on Lightworks.

Re: TIMESTRETCH A VIDEO IN A SIMPLE WAY. POSSIBLE? 1 week ago #207694

• chj
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week ago
Thanks, however, I don't know what a NLE is. I observed this weekend that Reaper has been developed significantly with its video features. I will try that for my next video and see what happens. The thing with Reaper is it's level of sophistication on all things audio, but now also video. If I were LKWS, I would take a look at what is being developed in the Reaper camp. If it is starting to get only a little more sophisticated on video, you could have a competitor in the "not so advanced video design" user category that I am in.
Last Edit: 1 week ago by chj.

Re: TIMESTRETCH A VIDEO IN A SIMPLE WAY. POSSIBLE? 1 week ago #207696

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
NLE is the abbreviation for nonlinear editing. NLE is also used to describe the nonlinear digital video editing software packages:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing_system
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top