Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sound in video plays faster than the video

Sound in video plays faster than the video 3 weeks, 5 days ago #206675

I'm a new user of Lightworks, 14.5.0.0, and I really like it so far, except...

I'm working on a wedding video. I imported an AVI file from my older Sony Handicam. When I play it, the music seems about an octave too high in pitch. I hear the cello start playing (sounds like a violin) before the player in the video puts the bow on the strings

If I play the AVI outside of Lightworks, it works fine. I looked at the file properties of the AVI file in Windows and it says its 29.97 frames per second video, and sound is 1024 kbs, 32000 kHz.

I tried adjusting the frame rate on the project - 29.97 doesn't seem to be available, so I tried 30 and then auto - but the sound still is playing too fast.

Is there a setting somewhere in Lightworks where I can tell it the audio rate?

-Scott

Re: Sound in video plays faster than the video 3 weeks, 5 days ago #206677

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Hello,

Could you post a Mediainfo report of this video, please? Here you'll find directions:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81#66072
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Sound in video plays faster than the video 3 weeks, 5 days ago #206681

Here's the mediainfo file
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Sound in video plays faster than the video 3 weeks, 4 days ago #206702

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Thanks.

That looks like NTSC DVCPro25 which is a supported legacy format. Decoding the audio sampling rate of 32 kHz shouldn't be a problem, but I've never seen a scan order 'Top field only' and even don't know what that is.

Do you have a short clip in exactly the shown format you could share?
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Sound in video plays faster than the video 3 weeks, 4 days ago #206717

I can make a clip tonight. Sounds like it should have worked? I got the video file from my camcorder using PlayMemories. WinDV didn't work for me, gave me a "can't find data pin" error or something like that.

I solved the problem by converting the audio to 48 kHz. That seems to be a standard? I was thinking maybe LightWorks was trying to play it at 48 kHz, so if it was recorded at 32, that would make it sound higher and faster.

For others reference, I converted it by extracting the audio with VLC to an mp3 file. Then I imported the mp3 into Audacity and resampled it to 48 kHz. I went back to LightWorks, deleted the old audio and replaced it with the new audio. Sounds like a cello again!

Re: Sound in video plays faster than the video 3 weeks, 4 days ago #206718

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Good to hear that you found a way to fix the problem. I asked for a clip just to find a way to fix, no need to create one anymore.

Lightworks supports 32 kHz PCM audio. I suspect there's trouble with this specific AVI stream.

As a matter of interest, and if you find the time to try: A stream copy to remux the existing file might fix the problem as well, which would, if it works, be a more convenient, faster workflow and it preserves the original audio without converting/encoding, something like this:

AVI to MOV:
ffmpeg -i <in>.avi -c copy -y <out>.mov

Even AVI to AVI could work:
ffmpeg -i <in>.avi -c copy -y <out>.avi
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Sound in video plays faster than the video 3 weeks, 4 days ago #206719

Thanks for your help and advice. I didn't know about ffmpeg - another tool for my toolbox. I'll try that avi to avi copy tonight. Sounds like there might be something different about my Sony Camcorder video. Or maybe it's the PlayMemories program - wish I could try windv. I have a video from a different camcorder (Panasonic, I think?) that I need to add to the project also - I'll see if the mediainfo for it looks different than the Sony file.
Anyway, I learned a lot and got several new tools, and at least one way to solve the problem.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top