Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips

changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 2 months, 2 weeks ago #204672

Hello,

I've got an issue that is annoying me to no end. I will reuse a clip (picture, video, or sound) multiple times per project. When I go to move one of the clips it will often also move others (but not all) of the same clip. The second clip does not need to be on the same track as the first clip in order to be moved. It will frequently place the second clip over the top of other things that I want to keep, therefore erasing them.

It can be multiple tracks of the same clip or a clip that I have split that this happens with.

If I simply move the clip to a different track at the same time location, then it normally doesn't affect other clips. However, if I shift time locations then there is a good chance another clip will be affected.

Example:
Clip A(1) is on track V1 at time location 1:00;00 and Clip A(2) is on V2 at 2:20;00. If I move Clip A(1) to V3 1:03;00 then Clip A(2) will move to V4 2:23;00 and overwrite what is at that spot.

I can prevent this issue if I disable all other tracts and then move the clip. But, often I forget that I need to do this. If I don't catch it in time then I make too many changes and can't go back enough to fix it.

Please help! I'm waisting so much time fixing this issue.

Thanks!

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 2 months, 2 weeks ago #204676

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Are you replacing, rather than using insert when you place the clip in a new location?

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 2 months, 2 weeks ago #204694

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Since first using Lightworks in 1992 I have never encountered that behaviour. What version of Lightworks are you using? The whole point of editing is that you can have complete flexibility in how you use your media. The fact that you trim one instance of a particular clip should not in any way affect any other instance of that same clip.

The only way that I can think of would be if you were using subclips or prints and trimming those in the original. That would require deliberate action on your part, and you would definitely know if you were doing that!

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 2 months, 1 week ago #204775

briandrys wrote:
Are you replacing, rather than using insert when you place the clip in a new location?

I am left-clicking and holding on the clip and dragging it to the new location. That is the only way that I am aware of to move it. How else is there to move it?

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 2 months, 1 week ago #204776

jwrl wrote:
Since first using Lightworks in 1992 I have never encountered that behaviour. What version of Lightworks are you using? The whole point of editing is that you can have complete flexibility in how you use your media. The fact that you trim one instance of a particular clip should not in any way affect any other instance of that same clip.

My thoughts exactly. It is very much a pain for me. If I have gone too far for the "CTRL-Z" function to back me out, I have to recreate whatever has gotten written over.

I'm on 14.5.0.0 but I've experienced this problem in all of the versions I've used prior to this. If this is an issue that other's are not experiencing then perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I'm not sure what it could be though. I am simply dragging & dropping to the new location. I don't have anything marked and parked. And it doesn't always happen but it does quite a lot.

It seems to be more of a problem with a time change than a track change. If I move the clip back and forth on the same track it can do it as well.

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 2 months, 1 week ago #204778

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I've got an issue that is annoying me to no end. I will reuse a clip (picture, video, or sound) multiple times per project. When I go to move one of the clips it will often also move others (but not all) of the same clip. The second clip does not need to be on the same track as the first clip in order to be moved. It will frequently place the second clip over the top of other things that I want to keep, therefore erasing them

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you mean. Would you mind attaching a screenshot and indicating what's moving unexpectedly, please?
Lightworks Development

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 1 month, 3 weeks ago #205567

Great White wrote:
I've got an issue that is annoying me to no end. I will reuse a clip (picture, video, or sound) multiple times per project. When I go to move one of the clips it will often also move others (but not all) of the same clip. The second clip does not need to be on the same track as the first clip in order to be moved. It will frequently place the second clip over the top of other things that I want to keep, therefore erasing them

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you mean. Would you mind attaching a screenshot and indicating what's moving unexpectedly, please?

As soon as I have it happen again, I will.

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 1 month, 2 weeks ago #205825

OK, I've got the situation. I've attached an export of the project (in case that will help).

You can see on either side of the Timeline Marker that there is a clip called "Recipe." Before the Marker it is on V1 and after it is on V2. I imported the one on V2 first then realized I needed it before the Marker as well and imported it a second time.

[attachment:2]Before.png[/attachment]

I need to move the clip on V1 to V2 just like the other clip. When I try to drag and drop, it moves *both* clips down one track. As you can see in the next picture, the clip before the Marker is now on V2 and the one after the Marker is now on V3 (where it overwrote the clip on V3).

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I have also attached a video of what I am talking about.

I hope that clarified the situation. Thank you for your help.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 1 month, 2 weeks ago #205826

Well, the before picture didn't show up. Here it is.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 1 month, 2 weeks ago #205827

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
FWIW

I see that the behaviour is related to the settings of 'Auto track sync' from 'Sequence Commands' and, it has changed wth V14.6, intended or not?

Edit: I would think, intended..
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 1 month, 2 weeks ago #205828

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
That looks wrong to me. I'll take a look tomorrow, thanks.
Lightworks Development

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 1 month, 2 weeks ago #205830

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Just to be more precise: The above is reproducible with V14.5 and "Auto track sync' enabled - disabled, the segments can be moved independently. With V14.6 'Auto track sync' has no impact to the action, which feels more natural.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: changing one clip's track changes multiple clips 1 month, 2 weeks ago #205842

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
Just to be more precise: The above is reproducible with V14.5 and "Auto track sync' enabled - disabled, the segments can be moved independently. With V14.6 'Auto track sync' has no impact to the action, which feels more natural.

Agreed - this seems to be fixed with 14.6
Lightworks Development
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top