Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 2 days, 19 hours ago #203383

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 19 hours ago
Be very careful with that macro. It may not always be reliable. This version will work reliably.

Name=Add Leading Black
Description=Shifts timeline start to the position of the timeline marker by adding blank timeline
Commands=Enable all tracks,Unmark,Mark,Start,Delete,Clipboard Insert,Clipboard Insert & Next,Mark,Start,Remove,Remove redundant cuts

You need to be aware of a few things when executing either version though. Either will remove any existing marks in your timeline, and both will enable all tracks. The second version will also remove any redundant cuts.

I'll break down the process used in the one that I have just posted. First, you must start with all tracks enabled. This done as the very first step of the macro. Now, assuming that you have parked where you want the black to end it will clear any existing marks than add a new one at the present position. This ensures that if you have an out mark anywhere it won't affect things.

You then jump back to the start and delete that section to the clipboard and immediately reinsert it. That is a more reliable way of ensuring that the clipboard holds the media that you want it to than the copy to clipboard command. The next step may appear to be the same as the insert from clipboard but is not. It leaves you parked at the end of the section that you've just inserted, which is the duration of black that you want to insert.

So now all that remains is to clean up. Mark again, jump back to the start and remove that section of the timeline, then clear any redundant cuts. Done.

If you want to use that version, copy it from the code block above into a text editor (not a word processor) and save it to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Preferences (Windows) as "Insert leading black.LwMacro". You will then be able to assign it to a key combination of your choice by opening the keyboard assignment panel. Actually the name that you give the file isn't important as long as it ends in .LwMacro and not, say, .LwMacro.txt or similar.
Last Edit: 2 days, 19 hours ago by jwrl.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 2 days, 5 hours ago #203414

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 days, 5 hours ago
FWIW

After thinking my macro "Add Leading Black" over, I believe that a user who places the timeline marker at timeline start, expects some meaningful result, different from nothing happens. Thus, I modded the code slightly by simply adding one additional frame. Now, when executing the macro with playhead far left, it nudges the whole timeline in singles frames steps to the right.

Name=Add Leading Black
Description=Shifts timeline start to the position of the timeline marker
Commands=Enable all tracks,Unmark,Forward Nudge,Mark,Start,Copy to clipboard,Clipboard Insert,Remove
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 days, 4 hours ago by hugly.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 1 day, 21 hours ago #203434

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 day, 21 hours ago
But it now also breaks the duration by adding a frame to the marked amount regardless of where you're positioned. If I have a length of 2 seconds marked I don't expect to get two seconds and one frame.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 1 day, 18 hours ago #203444

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 day, 18 hours ago
An option to allow auto-expand for edits might help?
This seems like an unintended consequence going berserk - it was never so difficult when the occasional user needed to be advised to check their work prior to export.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 1 day, 6 hours ago #203451

• chj
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 day, 6 hours ago
I agree, it is unintended, but now there is a "remove trailing black" in the export feature that solves the black space problem that was there earlier on. If this is a problem for novel users, why not add a notification to the user prior to start exporting, like: "Your video has xx seconds/minutes of trailing black space. Shall it be removed prior to starting export?

AND:

After reading the responses here, I like to suggest that to work at the rightmost end of the timeline is UNWANTED behaviour, and thus

THIS IS A BUG that could be corrected e.g. the following way: Introduce a SETTING where those who do not want trailing black space while working, can set it to DISABLED. The DEFAULT should be ENABLED.
Last Edit: 1 day, 4 hours ago by chj. Reason: error correction

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 1 day, 6 hours ago #203452

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 day, 6 hours ago
As a matter of interest, have you been able to solve your initial problem, with the information provided in this discussion ?

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 1 day, 6 hours ago #203453

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 day, 6 hours ago
jwrl wrote:
But it now also breaks the duration by adding a frame to the marked amount regardless of where you're positioned. If I have a length of 2 seconds marked I don't expect to get two seconds and one frame.

True, but I think that's just a matter of understanding how it works at the very beginning of usage.

I found the idea attractive to be able to nudge single frames, instead of doing nothing with playhead far left right, I can leave the empty cuts of the timeline where there are, and it's shorter than the alternative, i.e. it doesn't waste as many undo steps.

Enough reasons for me to publish it.
Last Edit: 1 day, 2 hours ago by hugly.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 1 day, 5 hours ago #203454

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 day, 5 hours ago
THIS IS A BUG that should be corrected the following way: Introduce a SETTING where those who do not want trailing black space while working, can set it to DISABLED. The DEFAULT should be ENABLED.

The black at the tail is enabled up to a running time of 5 minutes, after which the timeline expands as you add more clips.

An operational issue arises when you reach the end when directly drag and dropping into the timeline users because there is a very tight gap for these users to place the clip once the timeline reaches the end. I'm not sure it's a bug because it's designed to do this, but perhaps a way around for those users is to allow the timeline to expand by a minute once a clip is inserted a few seconds before the end.

It's never been an issue for me because I know the timeline expands as you add clips and I don't drag and drop directly into the timeline because it's a slower and less accurate method of working.

Alternately, the option to set the length of the sequence timeline could also be added to the fixed layout, since it's currently available on the flexible layout.
Last Edit: 1 day, 5 hours ago by briandrys.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 1 day, 5 hours ago #203455

• chj
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 day, 5 hours ago
I just repeat that LKWS should assist me into the centre position of the timeline. When it does not, it is annoying
Last Edit: 1 day, 4 hours ago by chj.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 1 day, 5 hours ago #203456

• chj
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 day, 5 hours ago
hugly, I solved it by adding an extra track that is not part of the video, but is a placeholder because it contains a clip that I have pushed to far right. So I am tricking LKWS to create convenience in editing. I did not look into macros and such in this regard.
Last Edit: 1 day, 4 hours ago by chj.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 1 day, 4 hours ago #203458

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 day, 4 hours ago
The time when it doesn't work at the end of the timeline is if you wish to add a title over black. Then either a stand in clip can be used and then removed after the unfolded title has been put in or using video black is a option.

You can lock the playhead in a fixed position, if that suits your needs, see P78 in the V14.5 User Guide.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 1 day, 1 hour ago #203466

• chj
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 day, 1 hour ago
I will have to disagree. In my current video, when I add a clip at the end, and it fills the screen, it is, at a certain zoom out level, NOT possible to zoom further out. In consequence, you are forced to work at the right side of the timeline until you insert yet another clip more to the right. Can you not reproduce this? Here, I assure you, I cannot get rid of this effect unless a new rightmost clip is inserted. The zoom out IS unresponsive.

In further consequence, to fix the playhead becomes meaningsless; I am working with the end of the timeline.

In addition, I anticipate, comes your description.
Last Edit: 1 day, 1 hour ago by chj.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 23 hours, 16 minutes ago #203470

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 23 hours, 16 minutes ago
for me, being at the right hand side of the timeline is not a big deal, since when I started using Lightworks the end of the sequence was always at the right side. The default then was 0 minute, so it always expanded as a new clip was added.

If you wish to create the timeline longer that the default 5 minutes, you can do using the method I mentioned earlier when you initially create the sequence. You can request for this to be made a feature in the fixed layout, however, you do need to know the running time of the completed video when creating the sequence timeline.

In theory, This may be a good time for doing so, because the V14.6 beta now being tested, although, be aware at this stage the developers may not be keen on adding a brand new features at this stage because I gather they want to get the release V14.6 out as soon as possible. However, the feature does exist in the flexible layout, but not the fixed layout.

A quick way to lengthen the timeline is to create video black, which is 5 minutes long and put it the required number of times into the timeline. Mark and park it and then remove all the video black. This can done in the time it takes to read this paragraph.

The video black is handy because it's a known length.
Last Edit: 21 hours, 20 minutes ago by briandrys.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 22 hours, 32 minutes ago #203471

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 22 hours, 32 minutes ago
Just to say, after installing the macro "Add Trailing Black", one keystoke doubles the length of the timeline by padding with black, two keystrockes quadruples it and so on. It's the fastes way to add trailing black when, or better if, you install the macro.
Last Edit: 22 hours, 31 minutes ago by hugly.

Re: HELP, Zoom out does not work beyond a minimum limit, and the page scroller 14 hours, 19 minutes ago #203480

• chj
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 14 hours, 19 minutes ago
OK, I will try it, looks easy, but it would be better if the LKWS team understands the essence of this thread and make a correction.

EDIT: Tried to download the macro add trailing black into the user/public/...preferences folder, but when opening key assignments, the macro does not show up. Have I read an outdated tutorial on how to install macros? Thanks for a hint
Last Edit: 13 hours, 34 minutes ago by chj. Reason: more info
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top