Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 (IMPROVISED SOLUTION FOUND)

Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 (IMPROVISED SOLUTION FOUND) 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200567

• Gluhss
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Hi. I'm a fairly new lightworks user (around 4-5 months) and I've run into a problem that my research and reading up on can't seem to fix. I love the program and usually when I run into an issue or don't know how to do something I just type it in and have the answer in a few minutes but this is something I've been having trouble with for months;

I'd like to change the dimension of my video from a 16:9 ratio but when I've done that; switching it to either NTSC/Pal 4:3 (which is the dimension I want) the video begins to shake slightly (but very visibly). Now I don't know much about computer software and have tried my best to look for an option where I don't need to ask for help with this directly but nothing I've found has helped... or at least I don't understand enough what is being said and in extension how to apply it to my problem.

This is the topic I've read on multiple occasions in an attempt to fix the problem but I really don't know what it suggests or how to apply it to get over this hurdle: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=14&id=49241&Itemid=81

I would really appreciate help with this as quickly as possible not because of time constraints but out of frustration on what to do, as I've mentioned I've been looking for a solution for months but to no avail. I've found ways around it multiple times by using the extra space in 16:9 ratio as "aesthetic" but need it for my new project. If you need any information from me (about my computer) please give exact details on how to retrieve it.

Thank you in advance.
A quick death is all I ask for. Please.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Gluhss.

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200570

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

The Free version of Lightworks supports only the standard HD TV aspect ratio of 16:9 upto a resolution of 1280x720 on export. If your material has an aspect ration of 4:3 you'll see in a pillar box with black bars left and right.

The settings 'Video.Output.Format' from the project card define a mask for preview and should be set to the planned export format, e.g. 720p.

NTSC and PAL standard DVD formats are interlaced and thus a special method for display in preview is applied which might explain the flicker.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200572

• Gluhss
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Heloo and thank you for replying.

My material is already adjusted so that it fits perfectly even in 16:9 ratio. I did research on that and have a way to get video whatever size I want (without black pillars).

[The settings 'Video.Output.Format' from the project card define a mask for preview and should be set to the planned export format, e.g. 720p.] This is really embarrassing but please explain further.

[NTSC and PAL standard DVD formats are [color=#bb0000]interlaced[/color] and thus a special method for display in preview is applied which might explain the flicker.] If you're saying that the flicker will go away after export I tried that and it was the same?

This info: *
My head: * *

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200573

• Gluhss
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
also is what you're saying in essence that I can't export video smaller than 16:9 ratio without an upgrade to premium?

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200576

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Gluhss wrote:
NTSC and PAL ( interlaced)

This is actually an old technology with poor resolution from the time of tube TVs. Deteils see: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

I doubt you want that.

On which devices or platforms should the exported Video be used?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200577

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Gluhss wrote:
My material is already adjusted so that it fits perfectly even in 16:9 ratio.

Fine, so where is your problem then?
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200578

• Gluhss
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
My problem is I don't want a 16.9 ratio...?

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200579

• Gluhss
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Hi. thank you for replying

I'm actually going for something like this;
Not an exact copy but the feel? Idk if that makes sense. I want it to have a nostalgic 'feel'.
It'll most likely be put on twitter, also why I don't want a 16:9 ratio.

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200580

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
As mentioned, that's not possible with Lightworks Free, due to its limited export options.

What you can do is cropping after export, e.g. with free VirtualDub2 or FFmpeg.

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200581

• Gluhss
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Gluhss wrote:
also is what you're saying in essence that I can't export video smaller than 16:9 ratio without an upgrade to premium?

I asked before but oki thanks

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200590

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
I have missed this question, sorry.

No that isn't what I said nor meant.

Lightworks Pro supports a wide range of formats and resolutions used in commercial environments, one of those is of course 4:3. However, 4:3 is assumed to be a legacy format, because the world has decided to go widescreen after decades of 4:3 TV.

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200593

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Gluhss wrote:

No. But as a free user you can circumvent that.

hugly wrote:
What you can do is cropping after export, e.g. with free VirtualDub2 or FFmpeg.

That will also have the advantage that the shaking should vanish, however that isn't a problem that I've seen recently. The version of Lightworks that the extremely old thread that you disinterred is long gone, and that issue hasn't been reported since the version change. That version relied on an entirely different codec suite to the one that Lightworks now uses which may have been a contributing factor.

What Lightworks version are you using?

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 3 weeks ago #200603

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
That shows more than just cropping 16:9 to 4:3 after export, but it does show it as well.

Need 4:3 in cinematic look with Lightworks Free? No problem, first mask, grade, and export 720p, then crop with VirtualDub2.

Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 2 weeks ago #201022

• Gluhss
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Sorry, I'm only now seeing these replies but thank you nonetheless for taking interest.

I believe I'm using the most recent version of lightworks, as previously stated I'm a new user so if you're implying the problem was fixed a while back I don't think I would have downloaded the "version" with that issue... but seemingly I have? Also as I've stated I'm not a computer expert I really wouldn't even know how to check... actually; figured that out sorry. Again. I've attached the version below in png format.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I also installed the newest update beta 14.6 on the day of my initial post about this but looking at the version info I've attached clearly I did something wrong.

Thank you in advance for your help.

(P.S. Please use lay-man's terms when responding. I'm really not in a headspace currently to understand words like circumvent & disinterred )

Re: Video shakes after dimension change to NTSC/Pal 4:3 1 month, 2 weeks ago #201046

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
V14.5 is current stable release. V14.6 beta is quite new and still unstable to some extend, I wouldn't recommend using it to new users, not yet.

As a matter of interest, my video above shows how to crop 1280x720 16:9 to 960x720 4:3 with Lightworks and VrtualDub2, have you tried it?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds
Scroll To Top