Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199516

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
In terms of simplification, I'm actually playing the same clip numerous times simultaneously in different locations so the daisy chain of DVEs is meant to duplicate that clip. Should I have just put the same clip on different video tracks?

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199517

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Eboreg2 wrote:
... Should I have just put the same clip on different video tracks?

No, that would increase your system load.

Maybe you could do with a single chromakey if it could create transparency, but I have no experience with chromakey. I also have an effect that can mix 5 inputs, but if it's a replacement for your many DVE effects, I could discuss it separately if necessary.

Actually, it should work if you just recreate the damaged effects I deleted.
Maybe a crash caused the damage?

If you can monitor VRAM usage (GPU), you should do so to identify critical areas of your timeline early on.

Even after the repair, the system load / VRAM could become critical, which also depends on the image files. If your project setting is still set to 1080p, you should reduce it to 720p. If you have problems in the repaired project, you can use the suggestion of "jwrl" and export the segment with the most effects and import and replace it again (in a copy of the sequence). But if you want to export at a higher resolution with the Pro license at a later time, it gets complicated.

Edit: By the way, the Pro license has a timeline render tool.

Edit2: In the attached screenshot a test with 20 identical eagles.
If, as in this case, always the same picture or video is used, theoretically a single effect would be imaginable with only two inputs, which could make everything much more efficient.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199519

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
schrauber wrote:
Actually, it should work if you just recreate the damaged effects I deleted.
I mean really new, no effect copies, or saved perhaps damaged templates.
If you use my archive, then avoid the undo button in the first editing steps, otherwise the damaged effects will reappear.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199522

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
schrauber wrote:
@ Great White
During my repair I removed the effects from other segments (DVE and Chromakey).
Oh, my mistake.
Your screenshot seems to show the first of the two damaged segments, but I only looked at the routing of the last segment. If that is the case, then the image key effects in the routing come from the undamaged track underneath.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199533

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
So I decided to try deleting all the effects on one of the problematic segments then adding them again and it when fine until about the 9th DVE + Chromakey when my computer started massively slowing down and finally crashed when I started routing the 10th (and last) DVE + Chromakey.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199537

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I set up just the DVE and chromakey section of your effect chain, but doing it in a different way. I used a 2D DVE that I wrote myself, but this technique should work with either DVE supplied with Lightworks. Rather than try and explain the step by step process, here's the routing that I used.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

To explain: I've used the colour matte to generate the same background colour as used in the clip. I've then daisy chained five DVEs, and fed the result to a single chromakey. The result looked like this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I don't know whether that helps you at all. If you need to key one instance of the foreground image over another it obviously won't. If that's the case you might like to experiment with replacing the chromakey effect with some of the alternative chromakeys in the custom effects.

There is in fact a chromakey with DVE which is based on the Lightworks versions, but because it strips the DVE section down to the bare essentials it might just lighten the load enough for you. Alternatively, you could replace the chromakeys with baopao's ALE chromakey effect. That's a very lightweight chromakeyer and will definitely lighten the load.

If you need to know how to install either effect, check out CUSTOM EFFECTS INSTALLATION. That has full instructions.
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199554

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
These are sensible efficiency improvements.

Apart from that:

Eboreg2 wrote:
So I decided to try deleting all the effects on one of the problematic segments then adding them again...

I'm not sure if your cleanup workflow was enough.

In the archive I created, I first deleted the original room, which was probably damaged as well? If I did not do that, I not only had V-Ram utilization issues, but much more serious ones like:
hugly wrote:
I wonder that somebody can work with this sequence anyway. Even with playhead on empty space, it forces my machine into a memory leak on VRAM (6GB here) and takes down my Windows 10, meaning that I have to use hardware reset to escape.

As described on page 1, I had to use some tricks on my weak system to clean up the sequence. I could imagine, however, that these tricks could achieve a better cleanup of the project from hidden errors?
I don't know if I managed the cleanup completely, but maybe it's more promising to try to continue working with my archive?

But maybe the developers will find out more? ...
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by schrauber. Reason: unnecessary question removed

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199555

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
FWIW

With some crazy stuff from another demo , I've thrown together a daisy-chain with 24 video tracks, no chroma key, but alpha channel. The background is a 720p Cineform proxy, the overlay an images sequence in PNG format, resolution 1280x720, pulled from a GIF. As shown, that runs almost flawlessly here, the system resources when playing seem quite relaxed, on a fairly beefed machine though - Flexible layout, recorded with OBS/x265:

Edit: The short stalling on playback on the first segment in the timeline is more or less reproducible, even without screen recording, but I don't know where it is from.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199556

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
schrauber wrote:
But maybe the developers will find out more? ...

Since they know what's going on under the hood, most likely, I would think.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199566

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I can proudly report that the custom Chromakey with DVE special effect that jwrl posted has lightened my RAM load considerably. I might actually be able to make some decent progress on my project!

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199579

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
If using folded VFX the approach here would be to place (and position accurately) the first occurring Iamge key(s) over the BG move onto the point where the next are to appear/fade-up place an empty cut on the V underlying V track - place the second occurring Iamge key(s) - and so on.

As it stands now all images used in a section are in place all of the time - even though they are faded off prior to their appearance - most likely they are still a load on the system - the above suggestion would gradually build the load.

Working with as many V tracks as there are overlaid images may be quite cumbersome - but if that is a choice - still load images into those tracks gradually as required.

Here we would also name every individual component of each image/key/DVE set - then opening the VFX setup panel - it is easy to see which of the multiple tools is where. naming could be as simple as assigning a number for each position in the layout plan - there would be DVE1, DVE2, DVE3 -----
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199586

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Eboreg2 wrote:
I can proudly report that the custom Chromakey with DVE special effect that jwrl posted has lightened my RAM load considerably.

Glad that it helped. Thanks for letting us know.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199591

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
For what it's worth, I've made improvements to how we process complex effect graphs in the next 14.6 beta.

From what I can tell, there's nothing inherently wrong with the sequence that was posted by EBoreg2; the way that the code handled nodes with multiple incoming connections was not optimal, so GPU memory was being used much more quickly than necessary. That's not the case anymore.
Lightworks Development

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months ago #199615

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Thanks. That's good to know.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top