Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak

Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199411

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Let me explain, I run Lightworks 14.5.0.0 (the 64-bit version) on Windows 7 64-bit SP1 with a fairly powerful NVIDIA graphics card and the nature of my project means I have to use a lot of effects and chain them all together in specific ways but this causes the program to take up every last one of the 16 GB of memory I have causing my computer to slow down to a crawl and I have to physically reboot it repeatedly just to get anything done. This is a real shame since I've already made considerable progress on my project and I don't want to have to do it all over again on another program. Hell, I'm not even out of the woods when I close Lightworks so I would like you guys to check if there are any memory leaks in the program.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199422

• fishmonger
    Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
If you can provide a sample project (you don't need to include media) then that might help us address your issue, it's not something we would expect on Windows, except in very special cases with DVEs of image keys)
f

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199427

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Certainly, zip file attached
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199435

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
My test:

Even without media my V-Ram memory jumped over my 2GB limit during testing. Without media this probably indicates a damaged sequence.
I was able to open the project in a new flexible layout room. The problem seems to be caused by these two segments:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

If I delete them, the problem doesn't seem to occur anymore. I don't know if this helps you, or if "fishmonger" as developer finds a better solution?

Also, the other segments contain about 40 image-key effects in a single segment, + effects in other tracks. This number might overload your system again and cause crashes, which is why optimizations in the timeline, effects, image files should be searched for. (or render intermediate results)?.

Edit: Although, if I look at the effect settings, then I suspect very small image dimensions of the files?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199437

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Those segments are actually rather vital and, I've got to be honest, I ran out of optimizations before posting here. You would be right about small image dimensions, though.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199439

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
The problematic segments contain no image effects anyway (at least the right segment), but only about 10 Chromakey and DVD.
That should work normally.
I assume that a damage in the effet path has occurred.
Also the high CPU load on this segment speaks for a defect, because effects without media should only generate a GPU load. When I create an effect template from the effect routing, then this has the same problem.
I do not know if this is a better solution than adding the effects for this segment again? I do not know how much work that would do?
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199448

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Because the effect chain managed to hang my system I wasn't able to check whether you had recursion or not. If you had you will definitely get this issue. However I'm not surprised at the problem that you're encountering with that group of effects as far as I managed to see it. I would strongly recommend thinking through what you want to achieve to see if you can simplify it. The structure appeared to be a series of daisy chains of a DVE effect. That will eat memory like it's going out of style - a DVE of a DVE of a DVE can usually just be implemented as a single DVE in any case. Unless I have completely misunderstood what you're trying to do, that could be all that you need.

If you really need that complexity perhaps you should be rendering components of the effect to simplify it somewhat. If as your thumbnail suggests you're a free user you will need to export then reimport to achieve that. Since you will be limited to 720p maximum export resolution as a free user anyway, that shouldn't pose significant problems for you.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199490

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I wonder that somebody can work with this sequence anyway. Even with playhead on empty space, it forces my machine into a memory leak on VRAM (6GB here) and takes down my Windows 10, meaning that I have to use hardware reset to escape.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199494

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I had to trick to see the details and to avoid system hanging:

The first problem was that the playhead was already on the damaged Segment, so my computer hung immediately.
I solved this by switching to the flexible layout, and left the project in the project browser with the left mouse button in a new, empty room. In this room is the playhead at the beginning of the timeline, where nothing is damaged. By moving the playhead I found out which segments on my computer caused these problems.

Deleting the two segments, or all the effects in them (tested with the right segment), solved the problem on my system. In one test, the command "Effects > Remove > All" did not completely remove the effects, leaving a single DVE effect in the routing, which had to be removed in the second step. The playhead was on an undamaged timeline position during this procedure.

For testing, I created a similar routing with newly added effects, which even worked with many more effects (only for testing system stability).

In order to see the original routing in the damaged segments, I also had to trick :
In the flexible layout I closed all viewers.
I opened the timeline from the sequence tile.
pushed the timeline over the tile. The now invisible preview seemed to relieve my system. Now I could see the effect routing with high CPU load, and 1 GB VRAM load with strong time delay, but could not repair without deleting everything in it.

The segments seem to have already been damaged for several days of editing, as the milestones are also damaged (Dates from May). This would also explain the system problems described in the other thread.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199497

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
From milestones, I found no way to restore a stable version of the final sequence, only parts of it. Did you?

It seems as if the problem is related to combining two sequences and the sequence got corrupted doing this, somehow.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199500

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
The milestones were not a solution for me.

If no one has a better solution then I could try to create an archive that allows Eboreg2 to open the clean, undamaged project. However, Eboreg2 would need to re-add the effects in these two segments (I leave the other segments unchanged).

Important: If the effects of these two segments came from an effect template, then it could also be corrupted. In this case, the effect template should also be deleted so that the damage is not added again later.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199501

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
schrauber wrote:
If no one has a better solution

I won't invest more time on this issue - at lease from my side, move on.

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199502

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
After first inspection, it doesn't look like there is recursion. The graph looks like this :

It looks like you just run out of GPU memory eventually. I'll see what can be done.
Lightworks Development

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199503

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
schrauber wrote:
... I could try to create an archive that allows Eboreg2 to open the clean, undamaged project. However, Eboreg2 would need to re-add the effects in these two segments (I leave the other segments unchanged).

If you like:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

- unzip the zip file
- Browse on the Lightworks homepage with "Restore an archived project ..." to the unpacked archive.

- Double click on the archive
- This warning appears:

- Kick to OK

Now you have two projects.
Create at least one project backup daily.
If you have worked successfully with the restored project for a few days, delete the damaged project.
Create a project backup at least daily.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Fairly certain this program has a memory leak 2 months, 1 week ago #199504

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
But "Great White" is a developer, and might find better solutions ...

Edit:
@ Great White
During my repair I removed the effects from other segments (DVE and Chromakey).
Windows 10, 64 Bit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top