Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect?

Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 5 months ago #196234

Hi! I've been wondering why there keeps being missing effects on one part of my stereo audio clips periodically -- I assumed I was just making a mistake, but I isolated the culprit today and it's whenever I add a crossfade to the clip that one channel of the effect is removed. To demonstrate:

Here's the clip with the effect on both parts of the stereo clip:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

And now, after I right-clicked and added a crossfade to the tail:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

(Look at the blue effect icon -- or where the blue effect icon used to be -- in the bottom left corner)

Weird eh?

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Thanks everyone.
Last Edit: 5 months ago by SepiaStudios. Reason: Added more detailed image description

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 5 months ago #196235

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
Just a thought - have not tested - if those tracks are grouped - try to un-group and re-group.

The bottom track 'inherits' SFX from the one above - perhaps that has been disrupted by the crossfade???
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 5 months ago #196236

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
This bug is another example for the overwhelming complexity of the interaction of 'Autotrack sync', context sensitive commands, grouped tracks and multiple and differently working ways to add transitions. No big deal for users, if it works, but for developers to make it work.

I wonder what will happen as soon as segments are selectable in the timeline with some future release.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 5 months ago #196239

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
In as much testing as I could do today - so some initial observations only

- This does not occur if the SFX were placed independently on each of the tracks
- Does not happen in the above tracks are then grouped.
- seems like it is somehow associated with the 'inherited' SFX
- this does not occur with all media types
- seems like it does not happen with separately recorded audio
- seems like it does not happen with media types where audio is extracted by LW

- Inherited SFX are not as clear cut as in previous versions
- The tracks need to be 'swapped' (Mark/park Alt+s) for the SFX copy to take place

If this has happened - a quick fix to get the show moving again - if the tracks are grouped - ungroup them and 'swap' tracks - that replaces the missing SFX - swap again and tracks are back in the original positions - with Crossfades and with SFX in place.

The above is based on single observations without multiple confirmation tests - but I'm pretty sure the 'fix' will undo any damaged sections.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 3 months, 3 weeks ago #198270

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

Just want to say thanks RWAV for your work on testing this. I'm sorry for not replying sooner, forgot about this topic!

I've had more complications with crossfades that have been increasingly disruptive in this feature edit--when you move the entire crossfade independent of the clip, LW resets the audio level keyframe for the newly affected media so my clip becomes suddenly loud midway through the crossfade.

My solution for the time being has been to just use envelopes/automation... the auto keyframes from changing the volume in the advanced tab is reliable and I like how you can copy the automation to another clip.

That being said, it's unfortunate that the crossfades are still "buggy" (or at least have some wrinkles to sort out?) because I like the way they function as independent objects on the timeline.

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 3 months, 3 weeks ago #198285

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Sepia Studios - good to hear from you.

Below is a strategy used also for repetitive in-line V transitions

Make a section of edit containing only a cross-fade
Put it somewhere convenient as either -

Example 1 A pre-mark/parked tile (the preference here - miniature on-screen space)
Example 2 A tile with timeline open

- do the as in the videos below - trim the cross-fade to length if necessary

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 3 months, 3 weeks ago #198296

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
SepiaStudios wrote:
it's unfortunate that the crossfades are still "buggy" (or at least have some wrinkles to sort out?)

Yes, indeed.

The next version V14.6 has been announced to be released as public beta in the near future. I can imagine that it brings great improvements to audio processing, in general, and to the interaction between crossfades and track sound level adjustments, in particular.

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 3 months, 3 weeks ago #198297

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
For those users who are not entomologists but are working film makers with imagination, working with crossfades is easy and painless. No need to wait for beta versions and later releases.

Discussion about the effective use of LW is the purpose of this forum.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 3 months, 3 weeks ago #198298

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
I didn't know that you are an entomologist.

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 3 months, 3 weeks ago #198307

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
SepiaStudios wrote:
... so my clip becomes suddenly loud midway through the crossfade..
Yes, I also encountered such strange behavior.
I hope for future improvements.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 3 months, 3 weeks ago #198308

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
schrauber wrote:
SepiaStudios wrote:
... so my clip becomes suddenly loud midway through the crossfade..
I also encountered such strange behavior.

I suspect RWAV knows that, maybe even more, but usually he knows also the best ways to work around the annoying insects - experience makes the difference.
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 3 months, 3 weeks ago #198312

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Adding Crossfade removes one channel of Stereo audio effect? 3 months, 3 weeks ago #198318

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Ha, thanks so much RWAV! I'll keep those tips in mind for the next time I need to cross fade a bunch of dialogue tracks. ^.^

hugly, I'm looking forward to the new release too!

Either way, I think I've isolated the issue I was talking about. It happens when I change the volume on a clip where a crossfade was added by "Centered here" rather than "To here." I assume this is because the program's thinking of the added material as a different clip? But I can't think of any circumstance where you'd want this to happen during a crossfade...

Here's a capture of what I mean--you can see me apply a volume change on a crossfade made "To here" that works perfectly, and then the volume shift on a crossfade made "Centered here":

Anyway, I'm glad to have workarounds for this behaviour now--but if a dev sees this, hope this clip is helpful lol!
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by SepiaStudios.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top