Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Restoring Win7 Archive on Win10

Restoring Win7 Archive on Win10 1 week, 4 days ago #189274

• juucobb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
I created a video recently on the free version on a windows 7 machine. Unfortunately, the export can't be played on the machine it needs to be played on because that machine is running windows 10 (something do with the codec used). As a potential solution, I was going to re-export on a Windows 10 machine, hoping it would use an appropriate codec. My issue is, when I go to restore the archive on the windows 10 machine just nothing happens. I'm able to restore an archive that was created on the same machine, so I think it has something to do with the OS difference. Any ideas or has anyone faced this before and have a work around?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Restoring Win7 Archive on Win10 1 week, 4 days ago #189275

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
It's unlikely that the version of Windows that you've used is causing problems. What's more likely is that the project was archived with a version of Lightworks that had access to a codec not available to your present Lightworks version. For example, if your media was encoded with Avid's DNxHD codec but you don't have a license for that on your W10 computer you will see exactly this issue.

What version of Lightworks was the project archived with? If you could give us a screen grab of the error message that you get when you attempt to restore the project it would help too.
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Restoring Win7 Archive on Win10 1 week, 3 days ago #189308

• juucobb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
That would make perfect sense as to why it's not loading, because that is also the reason its not playing (according to google, Win10 is apparently missing an integral codec that Win7 uses for mp4).

I would give you a screenshot, but there isn't an error or anything that displays, just absolutely nothing happens. I think I'm just going to rip the audio track, record the screen as the video plays on the Win7 machine, and piece the project back together. It doesn't need to be super high quality or anything, so not too worried. Just unfortunate that this codec issue causes so many problems. Thanks for the response!

Re: Restoring Win7 Archive on Win10 1 week, 3 days ago #189310

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
I don't understand exactly what you mean.

Did you export an Lightworks archive (not a media file) from one machine which runs Win7, moved the archive somehow to another machine which runs Win10 and tried to import/restore the archive there? If so, did you include all media, local, linked and proxies, in your archive? If you didn't, the archive will be importable, but all viewers will show Media Offline, because the media aren't there.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by hugly.

Re: Restoring Win7 Archive on Win10 1 week, 3 days ago #189312

• juucobb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Correct. Created an Archived file on the Win7 machine (included all media, local, linked, and proxies), copied it to an external, attempted to "Restore Archived Project" on the Win10 machine utilizing the archived file (tried restoring from the external as well as copying archive first to local drive) and just nothing happens.

Re: Restoring Win7 Archive on Win10 1 week, 3 days ago #189316

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
I can't imagine that this a codec issue of Windows 10. I never heard about anything similar.

A screen recording of the process showing the steps of restoring the archive could help to understand.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds
Scroll To Top