Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Restore from archive very slow

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months, 1 week ago #182145

• Bertbear
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
#182123 Hmmmm. This sounds like what I am experiencing although in my instance I am restoring/linking the backup to my second external copy of media. It does get there eventually but while it restores there is no progress bar and the application appears to be non responsive. When it finishes - all is well. I should also mention that I'm using OSX on a new iMac pro (if that has any bearing). I only mention it because I see you are on windows.

And yes, I still maintain FCP7 on another machine (for archived projects). On the iMac I'm using FCP-X for corporate work and Lightworks for Longform.

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months, 1 week ago #182146

• Bertbear
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
#182142 Hi RWAV. Confirming that I am making my 'Project/details/make backup' (like you've illustrated above WITHOUT media included. I then take this backup to my laptop, plug in a clone copy of my media drive then from the projects window choose 'restore an archived project' and wait for the backup to reconnect the media and appear. This seems to be the only way I get a full project restore, exactly as I left it.
But it does take about 40 mins and while its working there is no progress bar and lightowrks appears to have hung.

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months, 1 week ago #182151

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for the information.

As it stands now, it appears to me as if I’ve encountered an issue, while trying to reproduce, different from yours. Here, beyond a certain amount of logs in a backup, Lightworks hangs infinitely when importing the backup (with and without access to linked media). I have a MacBook Air and will do some further tests on this issue the next days on OSX.

As a workaround for you for now (with all used media already imported via create link and at least one moved initially restored backup to bring all necessary link files in place), I’d suggest copying/moving the project folder back and forth between machines with Lightworks shut down on target. This should provide instant access after restart of Lightworks . Project folders are much smaller than backups because they don’t include waveform files (.LPK). If any waveform file should be missing it will be rebuild on demand, but you’ve restored the project already from backup on the target machine, so the waveforms should be there. To reveal name and location of a project, hover with the mouse over project tile in project browser. When copying/moving in both directions, replace the existing folder with the latest, don’t overwrite. By renaming the existing folder and moving it out of “Lightworks/Projects” prior to moving the latest in, you can create a project history.

What would be interesting to understand about your issue is, if it’s influenced by media access or not: What happens if you restore the backup with linked media hidden for the program (renamed folders)?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months, 1 week ago #182152

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Bertbear it seems to me your very large archive files do contain media files - it's the reloading of those which is the culprit. We don't use linked material here and I need to refresh my memory on whether or not LW always includes linked media files in an archive.

There was a time when new users were having existential problems with linked files so LW solution was to always copying them to an archive.

As a Pro user you do of course have access to the LW shared project/defined project locations features. If you have a copy of all media at both edit sites all you need is access to a common LW Project directory. Perhaps it could be on a network location accessible from both sites?

I have at times set up clients with simple source to target file synchronisation software to transport projects between locations.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months, 1 week ago #182233

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Bertbear,

I've just detected that the problem I'm encountering here depends on the GUI used.

I assume you use Fixed layout. What happens on your system when switching to Flexible layout first and restoring the backup afterwards?

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months ago #182241

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Has nobody seen his video on page 2 Post # 182116?
(Also note the layout of the project settings)

Assuming the layout of Mac and Windows are similar, then it seems to be the flexible layout of Lightworks 14.0 or a prior version (hopefully not an age-old beta version?).

Is this basic information already known ?:
- Lightworksversion with which the backup was created?
- Lightworks version on the target computer?
- Has the project location been changed?
- Which import method was used?
- Which Lightworks media locations are set in the project settings of the target computer ("Material" & "Sound" folder)?
- If multiple media locations, which location is the last in the list of project settings, and what is selected in the settings of the import tool.
- Have the Lightworks Material "&" Sound "folders been exchanged between the computers, or just the contents restored by backup.
- Was the old project version deleted before the restore, or did you create one or more new versions from the backup parallel to the old version?

Surely I have forgotten important questions
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 2 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months ago #182256

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
schrauber wrote:

Only partially, especially not what versions are used on both systems. The backup itself for download would be best for analysis, but we can't do more than ask for information.

Regarding timeline and content of this discussion so far, I suspect that we won't be able to collect sufficient information in reasonable time to analyse the issue.

I think, the presented workflow using project folders describes a reasonable workaround.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months ago #182530

• Bertbear
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Hugly #182151
Thanks. I will try this when time permits.

RMAV #182152
Hmmm. How would the system be copying over media when I explicitly tell it not too in the backup settings? In any case, none of the media in this project is small enough to be part of a backup that's 145 mg.

Thanks everyone for your help

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months ago #182531

• Bertbear
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months ago
schrauber wrote:
Has nobody seen his video on page 2 Post # 182116?
(Also note the layout of the project settings)

Assuming the layout of Mac and Windows are similar, then it seems to be the flexible layout of Lightworks 14.0 or a prior version (hopefully not an age-old beta version?).

- Lightworksversion with which the backup was created?
- Lightworks version on the target computer?
- Has the project location been changed?
- Which import method was used?
- Which Lightworks media locations are set in the project settings of the target computer ("Material" & "Sound" folder)?
- If multiple media locations, which location is the last in the list of project settings, and what is selected in the settings of the import tool.
- Have the Lightworks Material "&" Sound "folders been exchanged between the computers, or just the contents restored by backup.
- Was the old project version deleted before the restore, or did you create one or more new versions from the backup parallel to the old version?

Surely I have forgotten important questions
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months ago #182536

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
I'd add the question to the above, how many clips do you have in the project, separated by clips including audio, video only and audio only?

I'd suggest installing most recent beta on both machines (currently RC10 revision 107962) and creating a new backup with V14.5 RC10.

On target machine, enter an existing project in FLEXIBLE layout and close content browser, to avoid update of tiles during restoring the backup (which might be the cause of the problem). Then, restore the backup and see what happens.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Restore from archive very slow 2 months ago #182590

• Bertbear
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Thanks hugly. A few things for me to try, hopefully over the weekend. Haven't a moment to relook at any of this recently but I shall.
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top