TOPIC: Lightworks is crashing at every level

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144867

• da9th_one
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
mediaDS wrote:
da9th_one wrote:
P.S. The problem is NOT you or your system...The problem is indeed a severely crippled faulty & flawed product.

That's bullshit. LW 14.x is working fine on a lot of systems. Minor bugs? Yes, indeed. They exist. But crippled and faulty?

And I assume it is indeed his system which seems to be severly broken from what he tells us. I also assume that most of the reported problems are not even connected to Lightworks but can be found in broken installations, faulty downloads, downloads from dubious websites with malware and other infections. Some of the problems are connected to Windows 10 updates or library problems.

It's not always Lightworks ....

a quick download of davinci resolve will remedy ALL of those "non lightworks" related issues that you assume aren't lightworks related...even though this msg board proves otherwise.

Tell them the truth. This software does not run smoothly for the majority of installs. - videos that worked flawlessly in v12 miraculously analyses forever in v14.
- videos over 10 minutes have difficulty importing.
- random crashes.
- videos that appear fine in lightworks v14 turn black after exporting.
- videos that appear fine in v14 losing audio after exporting.
- and countless others that were NOT an issues in v12.
- here is a quote from a moderator on an issue I had w/ v14 located on this thread
here:

fishmonger wrote:
thanks for the sample file, version 14.0 has problems with it because the the GOP length is over 255 and there is a bug which makes Lightworks go into an infinite loop analyzing the file.
For the moment files with gop length over 255 will need to be transcoded before importing them,
hope that helps!
f

Soooo yeah, your assumptions, unfortunately, are not based in reality, I'm afraid...

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144869

• mediaDS
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
Hi simon,

it is a very nice system you have there and it should be capable of mobile editing with Lightworks. It still would be very interesting to find out what exactly was causing the problems. But anyway, if it works flawlessly now, then I wish you a lot of fun with it

Dieter
Windows 10 Pro • Asus Z170 Mainboard • Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake, 4 x 4.20 Ghz • 32 GB DDR4 Memory • Noctua Cooling system • Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB DDR5 • Blackmagic Intensity Pro • Samsung SSD 840 500 GB (Data) and 250 GB (System) • 30 TB Asustor NAS (Media) • LG 34UB67 21:9 Ultra-Wide Display 34" @ 2560x1080 • Logitech Bluetooth K810 and M557 • Wacom Intuous Wireless Graphic Tablet • Contour ShuttleXpress • APC Back-UPS 1400VA

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144871

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
da9th_one wrote:
faulty & flawed product.

da9th_one, your computer is seriously underpowered for running Lightworks. I'm surprised it ran v12.x. You're extrapolating your own problems to everyone running Lightworks, which is kind of like someone with lactose intolerance (like me) saying that cows are evil.

For the record, BTW, I love cheese.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144874

• mediaDS
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
da9th_one wrote:
a quick download of davinci resolve will remedy ALL of those "non lightworks" related issues that you assume aren't lightworks related

Really?

Tell them the truth.

Whom? Who is "them"?

This software does not run smoothly for the majority of installs.

I kinda doubt that you know every Lightworks installation, smoothly or otherwise.

- videos that worked flawlessly in v12 miraculously analyses forever in v14.

A minor bug. Only one user reported it as far as I know. Is that a majority for you?

- videos over 10 minutes have difficulty importing.

I don't have that problem, I simply can't reproduce it.

- random crashes.

Nope, it did not crash once here. Randomly or not. I don't say that LW would not be able to crash and runs 100% stable under all end every circumstances, but it did not crash once working with it on a large project for a few hours.

- videos that appear fine in lightworks v14 turn black after exporting.

My exports are fine. Little low in bitrate but fine, colorfull and what I expected.

- videos that appear fine in v14 losing audio after exporting.

My exports are fine. Also audio is fine.

- and countless others that were NOT an issues in v12.

Countless? Really?

- here is a quote from a moderator on an issue I had w/ v14

Yes, the infamous "GOP length bug". I keep my GOPs small so they fit nicely in my travel bag. So I will never have that problem.

And I assume the bug is already fixed in one of the next beta versions.

Soooo yeah, your assumptions, unfortunately, are not based in reality, I'm afraid...

Yes, definately. I am living in a dream world ...
Windows 10 Pro • Asus Z170 Mainboard • Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake, 4 x 4.20 Ghz • 32 GB DDR4 Memory • Noctua Cooling system • Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB DDR5 • Blackmagic Intensity Pro • Samsung SSD 840 500 GB (Data) and 250 GB (System) • 30 TB Asustor NAS (Media) • LG 34UB67 21:9 Ultra-Wide Display 34" @ 2560x1080 • Logitech Bluetooth K810 and M557 • Wacom Intuous Wireless Graphic Tablet • Contour ShuttleXpress • APC Back-UPS 1400VA

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144875

• mediaDS
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
arniepix wrote:

Welcome to the club, my friend. I love cheese too and couldn't live without it

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144876

• da9th_one
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
arniepix wrote:
da9th_one wrote:
faulty & flawed product.

da9th_one, your computer is seriously underpowered for running Lightworks. I'm surprised it ran v12.x. You're extrapolating your own problems to everyone running Lightworks, which is kind of like someone with lactose intolerance (like me) saying that cows are evil.

Is this system seriously under-powered, also?
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

If not, then lactose intolerance appears to be contagious
Additionally, flawed software does not equate to being evil...what an odd analogy...
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by da9th_one. Reason: attached system nfo zip

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144879

• da9th_one
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
mediaDS wrote:

Really? [/quote]

YEP

Whom? Who is "them"?

Them are those with v14 issues...try to keep up here buddy...

I kinda doubt that you know every Lightworks installation, smoothly or otherwise.

with that logic you don't know either, therefore you cannot dispute it

A minor bug. Only one user reported it as far as I know. Is that a majority for you?

Perhaps that 1 user created many alternate accounts and posted that 1 issue multiple times on this forum

I don't have that problem, I simply can't reproduce it.

if you close your eyes it doesn't exist

Nope, it did not crash once here. Randomly or not. I don't say that LW would not be able to crash and runs 100% stable under all end every circumstances, but it did not crash once working with it on a large project for a few hours.

it must be that random user reporting the same problem from multiple accounts again

My exports are fine. Little low in bitrate but fine, colorfull and what I expected.

Soooo you expected the error in your exports...?!?! how very odd

My exports are fine. Also audio is fine.

except for that bitrate problem you mentioned above

Countless? Really?

indeed

Yes, the infamous "GOP length bug". I keep my GOPs small so they fit nicely in my travel bag. So I will never have that problem.

And I assume the bug is already fixed in one of the next beta versions.

assume...??? no proof just your hopes & dreams

Yes, definately. I am living in a dream world ...

I'm trying to free your mind, Neo...

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144881

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
Have you got V12.6 working again for your project as discussed in your other thread?

I should point out at this stage that you may find sections of your posts being deleted, if they step over into breaching the terms of the forum.

V14 has been beta tested, however, once released it may come across issues that the relatively small number beta testers may not have been in a position to test. So, assistance in the early stages of a release would enable the developers to quickly resolve any new issues.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144885

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
da9th_one wrote:

If I read that report correctly, you're running a 2 core system with integrated graphics, so yes, it's under powered.

If I'm wrong, then please just post your specs, rather than forcing someone who's offering help to read through that type of report.

And, for the record, I've successfully installed & used Lightworks from v11 on up on Mac, Windows & Linux systems, typically with no or few problems that weren't system related.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144886

• da9th_one
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
arniepix wrote:
da9th_one wrote:

If I read that report correctly, you're running a 2 core system with integrated graphics, so yes, it's under powered.

If I'm wrong, then please just post your specs, rather than forcing someone who's offering help to read through that type of report.

And, for the record, I've successfully installed & used Lightworks from v11 on up on Mac, Windows & Linux systems, typically with no or few problems that weren't system related.

lets all pretend to play dumb and disregard the recommended system specs and post alternative facts

and for the record v14 of lightworks is deeply flawed. facts are facts. no amount of attempting changing the narrative will ever make this fact an untruth...

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144887

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
simon@tudorgroupthailand.com wrote:
I have managed to get the 64bit version to work. I have also completed 1 blue ray and 1 4K video successfully.

Congratulations. I'm glad that you got it working. And for what it's worth, I think that your problem at the outset could have been fixed by manually installing the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable. I'm sorry that I didn't pick up on this thread earlier. We might have got you running sooner.

da9th_one wrote:
for the record v14 of lightworks is deeply flawed. facts are facts. no amount of attempting changing the narrative will ever make this fact an untruth...

Now to da9th_one's issues. We all appreciate that you're frustrated, da9th_one. You have had a very unfortunate experience. However you should know that mediaDS is a very experienced Lightworks editor (BTW, good to see you back here, mediaDS) with a history of being extremely helpful on these forums. When he speaks I tend to listen. You should also know that few people post on a forum like this unless they have a problem. By definition, any assessment that you make of other's experiences based on posts here must give a misleading impression of the reliability of the software.

I have been using the various versions of 14 from beta 90691 on, and have found for the most part that even the betas were stable. My experience with 14.0.0 release has been that it's stable and reliable. And before you assume anything, I'm not in any way associated with Editshare. In fact it would be hard for me to be much further away from them and still be on this planet. I don't get special versions, I don't have access to any privy information, I'm just another user.

One difference may be that both of my current systems are installed on purpose-built edit computers. Neither is bleeding edge technology but they are stable and fully debugged setups. I also only use professional sources for my edit media, which means that I have never been exposed to the long GOP bug. But so far Lightworks has taken everything that I've thrown at it. It certainly doesn't suffer from unexplained and unexpected crashes. I would be using other edit software if it did.

For what it's worth, by far the largest single group of complaints here has been from people who didn't realise that they still had access to the classic Lightworks interface.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144948

• mediaDS
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
Thanks and good to see you back here too, jwrl

I am in the preparation to start a new six-month-project with Lightworks. Countless stills and 5,289 video clips (raw footage) have to be sorted, edited, graded and exported to a finished and polished video. So far, Lightworks behaves very stable and it's a joy working with it. I even like the fixed layout for some quick'n dirty edits.

Anyway, have fun and a nice weekend

Dieter

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144977

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
simon@tudorgroupthailand.com wrote:
I can't explain why, but the 64 bit download seems to be working much better than the 32 bit download. However my system is 32 bit. For the moment at least it's not crashing.

I would be very surprised if your WIN10 OS is 32 bit on any new laptop. Base specs for DELL XPS15 laptops show WIN10 home version 64bit. The hardware is definitely 64 bit so unless you deliberately downgraded to 32 bit you have 64 bit Windows.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #144983

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
da9th_one wrote:
arniepix wrote:
da9th_one wrote:

lets all pretend to play dumb and disregard the recommended system specs and post alternative facts

and for the record v14 of lightworks is deeply flawed. facts are facts. no amount of attempting changing the narrative will ever make this fact an untruth...

In your system spec I don't see a discrete GPU, Nvidia or ATI, part of minimum requirements. I also don't see a dedicated media drive separate from your system drive, also part of minimum requirements. And yes your processor is a dual core processor, quad core multi-threaded is minimum recommended. Wimpy computer for video editing with pro level programs light Lightworks.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Lightworks is crashing at every level 2 years, 5 months ago #145052

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
Just curiosity, and no time to read through the complete discussion:

Any solution for OP's problem so far?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by hugly.
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds
Scroll To Top