Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Would this control surface device work to adjust parameters and sliders?

Would this control surface device work to adjust parameters and sliders? 2 months ago #214575

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
LenovoThinkPad P70, Xeon E3, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, SSD internal HD, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Re: Would this control surface device work to adjust parameters and sliders? 2 months ago #214576

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Hello,

From the article I gather the box emulates keystrokes, i.e. it appears to the computer and Lightworks as a keyboard. That's the same principle the Countour Shuttles works and (basically) the Lightworks Console is based on.

You can control with such devices everything which can be controlled with keyboard shortcuts. I'm not aware that there are shortcuts to control volume, color, and various effect parameters in Lightworks.

From a first glance I don't see any benefit of this device compared with the Contour Shuttle.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Would this control surface device work to adjust parameters and sliders? 2 months ago #214612

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
That controller on the face of it is a little limited in the number of functions that you can control. I still have and use my Lightworks controller mark I, and it has a total of 12 main functions, 12 shifted functions, a stop/shift key and a shuttle controller. The mark II/mark III adds a jog wheel and four user assignable keys which can also be shifted. However they aren't cheap.

The Contour is pretty good in terms of the functionality that offers, but if you're dealing with clients you may not want a device that looks like a gamer's toy on your desktop. If you are a person in that position you should check out X-keys. They have a range of control surfaces ranging from simple keyboards to vision mixer and edit system tools. One of the users here, Craig Marshall, has a thread on his experiences with one X-keys model in Editing Bliss! X-Keys new 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle! That said, there are smaller options than the 68 key version.

Re: Would this control surface device work to adjust parameters and sliders? 2 months ago #214615

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
I use a console, but I am always interested in any device that uses knobs to adjust parameters.
LenovoThinkPad P70, Xeon E3, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, SSD internal HD, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Re: Would this control surface device work to adjust parameters and sliders? 2 months ago #214622

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Me too, but it doesn't look as if with that you could match the functionality of the Lightworks controller, which as far as I'm concerned is the gold standard. I mentioned the X-keys range because they will get you a lot closer even with their small units.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top