Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects

Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 3 days, 18 hours ago #206121

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 days, 18 hours ago
Hi Folks
I just checked out Boris Graffiti text effects and they all cause my LWKS to playback the videos at 7fps or something.

Videos are 2.7K ProRes and I use a Ryzen 2400G with 32G RAM. LWKS has been generally superfast and speedy up till now ... now the space bar and keyboard stops responding and playback continues until the end when I try to quit.

Do I need a more powerful GPU?

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 3 days, 18 hours ago #206122

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 18 hours ago
Effect performance is the reason why timeline rendering exists.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 3 days, 18 hours ago #206123

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 18 hours ago
On the other hand, I don't see that problem when working with Boris text effect here.

What are your project settings?

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 3 days, 16 hours ago #206126

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 days, 16 hours ago
The project started out as 8 but because I forgot to change the settings. right now I am experimenting with different settings from 32bit float to 16bit but its not improving the situation...

Is there a benchmarking thread with a row/column table for the GPU scores?
I'd like to compare different GPUs and their results ... if not we should start one ...

G
Last Edit: 3 days, 16 hours ago by G0bble.

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 3 days, 16 hours ago #206131

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 16 hours ago
The benefit of the build-in Lightworks and the user effects is that they are very fast, real-time on not too complex setup. That's different with third party software, not only with Lightworks.

32-bit float is comparably slow, 16-bit performs better. The preview resolution has major impact to GPU performance. Set 'Project.Output.Format' to 720p and lowest available frame rate. If this doesn't help, render the sections with the bad performing effects.

There's a very long thread about GPU perfomance, summarized in short: Comparing GPU tests between machines doesn't say much about real world editing performance - things are too complex.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=150643&Itemid=81#ftop

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 3 days, 15 hours ago #206133

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 days, 15 hours ago
720p works much better thanks! So the project output setting is about playback rendering in display only?

G

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 3 days, 15 hours ago #206135

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 15 hours ago
Yes.

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 3 days, 14 hours ago #206137

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 14 hours ago
The "Yes" was premature, not thinking about your question is referring to Boris plugins.

The answer is yes, unless you work with some Boris effects which apply positioning. If working with such effects the preview settings must match the Boris settings and the export settings, otherwise you won't see what you get, i.e. different position in Boris and Lightworks. A test will show, if the effect you use is affected.
Last Edit: 3 days, 14 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 3 days, 7 hours ago #206152

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 days, 7 hours ago
Good to know ..thanks! I find that in order to customize the Boris fonts I need to learn yet another software app which I absolutely loathe to do...so I'm gonna stick to LWKS pure!

Cheers
G

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 2 days, 19 hours ago #206158

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 days, 19 hours ago
hugly wrote:
Effect performance is the reason why timeline rendering exists.

What does it do? I am curious ...

G

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 2 days, 18 hours ago #206161

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 18 hours ago
It renders effects and clips together so that they become a single piece of new media. Lightworks doesn't usually create new media until you export.
Last Edit: 2 days, 18 hours ago by jwrl.

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 2 days, 17 hours ago #206164

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 days, 17 hours ago
This video tutorial might be worth watching prior to starting to work with timeline rendering:

Re: Boris Grafitti - 5 to 7 fps playback with Text Effects 2 days, 7 hours ago #206173

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 days, 7 hours ago
Good stuff thanks!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top