Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using VirtualDub and DeShake with Lwks - are there any noobie guides?

Using VirtualDub and DeShake with Lwks - are there any noobie guides? 1 week, 4 days ago #192847

• og1char
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Hi,

I've been working through various google searches for information about, and a workflow for, using VirtualDub and DeShake to stabilise some handheld footage.
There is information dating from 2013 right up to 2019 and I'm a little confused. My questions are:

What format/codec should I use when exporting from VirtualDub (I tried XvidMPEG4 but it wouldn't import back into lwks)
Lots of mentions of AviSynth but do I really need to use it?
(I'm also using VirtualDub and de-shake on 4K footage but the output was jerky. What could I be doing wrong.)

Is there a walkthrough, youtube, tutorial on the best way to stabilise video and import back into lwks for title sequence and other effects before the final render.

I can start there and then come back with less noobie and more intelligent questions.

Thanks.

Re: Using VirtualDub and DeShake with Lwks - are there any noobie guides? 1 week, 4 days ago #192851

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Hello,

As a user of the Pro version you might have access to Boris FX.

I recently made a few tests with BCC Optical Stabilizer from Boris FX Time filters and it worked quite well.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Using VirtualDub and DeShake with Lwks - are there any noobie guides? 1 week, 4 days ago #192854

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
the next major version of lwks has ofx support built in, so things gets easier ...

I like "deshaker", but also used boris ...
ref.
www.dma.ufg.ac.at/assets/25084/intern/BFX_optical_stabilizer_S.mp4

greets
s

Re: Using VirtualDub and DeShake with Lwks - are there any noobie guides? 1 week, 4 days ago #192855

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
,-) & no, I have no kois/nishikigoi, but I'd like to see some butterflies, seems they have worldwide gone last years. (-70% .at)
s.

other species:
More Than Honey
www.imdb.com/title/tt2263058/
www.imdb.com/title/tt2263058/videoplayer/vi2777000217?ref_=tt_ov_vi
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by lghtwrks.

Re: Using VirtualDub and DeShake with Lwks - are there any noobie guides? 1 week, 4 days ago #192857

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
old notice:
- copy the Deshaker.vdf to the "plugins" dir of Vdub
- open the shaky video file
- assign that filter (strg-f)
- File > Run video analysis pass
- 2nd run, strg-f
-> save
s

Re: Using VirtualDub and DeShake with Lwks - are there any noobie guides? 1 week, 4 days ago #192884

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
After a quick test I found that Deshaker 3.1 with VirtualDub2 works quite well, so it's worth it outlining a possible workflow.

To answer your questions first:

You need AVISynth only if VirtualDub can't read the video format, unless you need some specific functions of AVIsynth (as preprocessor). VirtualDub has been discontinued 5 years ago. The successor, VirtualDub2, is based on the fork VirtualDub FilterMod and is still under development. It supports more formats, including MP4, on import. I'd suggest using VD2.

For this kind of work, I wouldn't use any highly compressed long GOP format, I-Frame based intermediate formats instead, unless you have hours of footage to de-shake and little drive space. GoPro Cineform is a good choice, in both direction from Lightworks to VD2 and back.

I'm not aware of any video tutorial specific to Lightworks on this, but it isn't that hard to manage. There are more than one possible workflows. That's what I did:

In Lightworks, I exported a segment from the timeline with matching resolution and frame rate in "AVI.Cineform.High". To apply the stabilizer with VD2 I used the description from here and selected "Compression" "GoPro Cineform (native)" with the setting shown below, prior to "Save as" "AVI".

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

After import into Lightworks, I replaced the segment in the timeline, applied a DVE and adjusted "Scale.Master" and "Position.X/Y" to get rid of black bars. Done.

When I find the time, I'll post a short demo to show the results.
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Using VirtualDub and DeShake with Lwks - are there any noobie guides? 1 week, 3 days ago #192924

• og1char
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
I'm trying it out now and it all looks very hopeful on my short 10second test segments. Thank you.

Re: Using VirtualDub and DeShake with Lwks - are there any noobie guides? 1 week, 3 days ago #192925

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
My pleasure.

What I see with Deshaker 3.1 on really shaky footage is quite impressive with settings out of the box. Let us know how it works for you.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top