Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Debating getting the Pro version with Boris FX

Debating getting the Pro version with Boris FX 2 weeks, 2 days ago #188971

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Hello everyone, am debating upgrading to Pro with the Boris FX plugins. I have visited the BorisFX website and can't really find information on what exact effects are included in the package.

There are a few free effects available on their website, but they are compatible with Continuum and BCC10. I read that Continuum isn't for Lightworks, but is BCC compatible? Is there a list of available effects for the LW package or are they the same as for Continuum, BCC10, Mocha etc...

I like the lightning effects as well as the lightsaber one.

Danny

Re: Debating getting the Pro version with Boris FX 2 weeks, 2 days ago #188972

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
The plugin isn't Boris Continuum Complete 10, it's Boris FX 10 with motion tracking, but not Mocha.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I'm not aware of any list of available effects. I've attached a screen recording that shows what's there in the Filters menu, which are the available effects/presets.

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by hugly.

Re: Debating getting the Pro version with Boris FX 2 weeks, 2 days ago #188974

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Hugly, I see that these plugins are actually apart from Lightworks then? A separate software?

Danny
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by SgtDannySgt. Reason: More questions

Re: Debating getting the Pro version with Boris FX 2 weeks, 2 days ago #188978

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Yes. BorisFx is a plug-in - separate software. You can actually run it as a stand-alone if you wish.

Re: Debating getting the Pro version with Boris FX 2 weeks, 2 days ago #188985

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
SgtDannySgt wrote:
Hugly, I see that these plugins are actually apart from Lightworks then? A separate software?

Yes, separate software, but you can start it from within Lightworks. Most filters and transitions are listed under Category Plugins. A link to the material, segment information and effect parameters are passed over through an API. With one V-track, it's almost like using Lightworks effects, only the GUI to adjust is the Boris software. The API is also used to display the results in Lightworks, there's no need to render in Boris. That makes switching between the apps fast. For more sophisticated work with multiple tracks it might be necessary to use Boris stand alone, import material and render the results.

This official video tutorial gives an impression:

Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by hugly.

Re: Debating getting the Pro version with Boris FX 2 weeks, 1 day ago #189015

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Now I really want these effects after seeing what they can do.

Danny

Re: Debating getting the Pro version with Boris FX 1 week, 4 days ago #189223

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
After purchasing the full version, I have no regrets. I already have used a couple of the new effects. One thing I have noticed is that in 1 of the effects I have used, the Star Generator, it caused that part of the clip to jerk so to speak and not being smooth. I suspected it was my laptop's capabilities, so I exported the video and viewed in and it works fine, so my laptop is probably the reason.

Re: Debating getting the Pro version with Boris FX 1 week, 4 days ago #189234

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Hi,

As shown in the tutorial above, if you see performance problems with Boris effects in the Lightworks timeline, you can use "Render" from Sequence Commands, I suggest using Cineform codec. Beyond that, handling of rendered material is a bit tricky, it's worth watching this tutorial before starting:

Re: Debating getting the Pro version with Boris FX 1 week, 3 days ago #189329

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
hugly wrote:
Hi,

As shown in the tutorial above, if you see performance problems with Boris effects in the Lightworks timeline, you can use "Render" from Sequence Commands, I suggest using Cineform codec. Beyond that, handling of rendered material is a bit tricky, it's worth watching this tutorial before starting:

Thanks Hugly!

Danny
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top