Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is it able to import anything ???

Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #645

• jcheger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
Edited for unconstructive and unhelpful comments.

Please see this announcement for increased codec support:

www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=1277&Itemid=202

- Forum Admin
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by Forum Admin.

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #729

• sourire
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
+1

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #741

• jcheger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
also tested on Windows XP 32-bit, for the same result.

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #751

• jmking
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
I wouldn't measure a professional editing application by its capacity to import highly compressed files!

Granted, DSLR use h264 and mjpeg. But what sane editor would create a project with xvid or divx files?

As long as it does DnxHD, ProRes and any sort of MXF, I'm more than happy.

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #774

• sourire
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
jmking, who said it was a "professional" editing application?
DiVX, H264 ans so on are used by a lot of professionals including broadcasting. What are you talking about?

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #781

• jmking
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
Lightworks is one of the first PRO NLE, to be precise.

As to DIVx, h.264... they are lossy codecs, in which the majority of colour information is stored in the top 3 stops of luminance values. This is a no-go when it comes to the online stage. Their colour subsampling is even lower than HDV, and that's already real crap. As soon the blacks are lifted, all that appears is artifacts, because that's what these codecs do.

A professional codec maintains detail in the blacks, none of these is designed to do so. It is the 5D's codec, and this is the one reason why when shooting 5D one is forced to overlight the scene, make sure that most of the histogram is in those top 3 stops, and bring it down to normal levels in post. Otherwise the coded retains ZERO detail in the blacks, which is certainly not what my clients pay for.

Believe it or not, some of the people who are interested in Lightworks do editing for a living.
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by jmking.

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #795

• jcheger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
I'm not a professional, but I also doubt we can judge professionalism of any work only by the cost of the cameras. Many small devices are very helpful, and many use AVCHD (H264/AAC) as a standard. As an example, look at www.goprocamera.com/. I doubt I could ever get such images with my Sony Z1.

Anyway, I'm open to any conversion that help the application to use it with LW. I've followed your suggestion, and tried to convert a fullhd movie to dnxhd. This new file was not supported by LW. I'm still supposing LW relies on Quicktime, so I've downloaded AVID lite codecs for dnxhd. As a result, I get "<strong>Format unlicensed</strong>".

In french we have an expression for such situation: the snake that eats its tail.
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by jcheger.

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #801

• jmking
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
Camera does matter when it comes to image quality. The better the camera, the less workarounds. As simple as that.

If you look at the gopro, you'll realize that all the shots are taken with natural light, and plenty of it. Those are exactly the luminance values H.264 takes care of. The Z1 can surely do that, if you expose properly. I used it in fiction until the HVX came around. But it was giving pretty good results (provided we took care of its many shortcomings).

Edited for unconstructive and unhelpful comment. Please watch for announcements about increased codec support - Forum Admin
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by Forum Admin.

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #812

• jcheger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
Attached to a bike handbars or on a surf with an 170° angle of view ? The Z1 won't, for sure
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by jcheger.

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #814

• jmking
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
I don't like operating like that!

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #1973

• cdtaylor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
At least codecs can be plugged in
so I'm sure they'll get it better
there are so many open source codecs they can use

I'm happy with the 300+ pg manual.

It's better than I thought it would be.

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #1996

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
Lagarith Lossless imports OK using "link". No need for transcoding or local copy.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #2099

• jmking
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
In case any of you is interested, I wrote in a previous reply that I found the release to be a bit messy. Well, this has been edited out by the admin team with the following explanation:

"Edited for unconstructive and unhelpful comment. Please watch for announcements about increased codec support - Forum Admin"

It seems to me this is not very much in tune with Open Source software, to be honest.

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #2123

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
In case any of you is interested, I wrote in a previous reply that I found the release to be a bit messy. Well, this has been edited out by the admin team with the following explanation:

"Edited for unconstructive and unhelpful comment. Please watch for announcements about increased codec support - Forum Admin"

It seems to me this is not very much in tune with Open Source software, to be honest.

Your post was edited because it was negative and unhelpful and therefore conflicted with the rules of this forum. You exact words were not as above. The same rules apply to everyone. We welcome constructive criticism.

Just to be absolutely clear: This is not the Open Source release: it is a free download that is currently in beta for users to get a feel for the system. We want to encourage a free exchange of opinions on this forum but we will remove any inappropriately negative comments. Please continue to watch the forum for updates to the software.

Re: Is it able to import anything ??? 9 years, 8 months ago #2143

• jmking
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
Right...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top