• Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
+1 VST support

Re: VST support 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229958

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
These are features that were revealed for V15 (that now V2021 series)

Adding support for device arrival (phones, camera cards etc)
Adding support for OFX plugins
Adding support for custom output formats
Adding support for more social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc
Adding support for audio FX plugins
And many more

I gather the next V2021 version is due to go into beta early next year. Hopefully the audio plugins will be part of that

Re: VST support 5 days, 6 hours ago #232206

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 6 hours ago
Not yet as it seems to me.
Maybe in one of the upcoming betas - hopefully.
Lwks x64 2020.1 revision 122068, pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, Xiaomi Yi 1080p

Re: VST support 5 days, 2 hours ago #232210

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 2 hours ago
Hi timzett,

If you really need VST functionality for your job, it is very honorable that you have waited so long. Not many applications can pride themselves on having users with such loyalty and perseverance. Chapeau!
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: VST support 5 days, 2 hours ago #232217

• granth
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 days, 2 hours ago
Lightworks is a really efficient editing platform for me, in terms of hardware and speed of edit. VST support would remove many of the needs to take sound out to Reaper/ ... (ie the Fairlight component that Resolve offers). A relatively simple addition of an interface, that would add huge functionality to the tool. Sound is often very poorly understood or supported in the video world, but it is actually at least as important as the image. VST support would (still) be awesome.

Re: VST support 5 days, 1 hour ago #232219

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 1 hour ago
From my point of view, Lightworks needs the basic functions used for audio mastering build-in, not as third party plugins. At least a compressor/limiter is mandatory to not be forced to switch to third party software, even for amateurish publications on Youtube.

Fairlight is a good blueprint for what it needs.
Last Edit: 5 days, 1 hour ago by hugly.

Re: VST support 5 days, 1 hour ago #232220

• granth
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 days, 1 hour ago
A useable EQ effect would be a more basic start. They changed the scale to be marginally better on V14/ 2020, but it doesn't allow sweeping whilst playing, and the naming and behaviour of the options doesn't seem standard/ intuitive, iirc. I find it unusable for anything beyond trimming. When the visual edit is done, pull it into Reaper, create a WAV at the end of that process, and pull it back in to lwks.
Most of the available tools are EQ with odd preset values ...

Also, tools like ReaFIR for noise removal are so useful for video
Last Edit: 5 days ago by granth. Reason: V15 -> V14

Re: VST support 5 days ago #232224

granth wrote:
A useable EQ effect would be a more basic start. They changed the scale to be marginally better on V15/ 2020, but it doesn't allow sweeping whilst playing, and the naming and behaviour of the options doesn't seem standard/ intuitive, iirc. I find it unusable for anything beyond trimming. When the visual edit is done, pull it into Reaper, create a WAV at the end of that process, and pull it back in to lwks.
Most of the available tools are EQ with odd preset values ...

Also, tools like ReaFIR for noise removal are so useful for video

FIR filters can eat a lot of processing power.

I still support the philosophical approach of keeping Lightworks the lightweight editorial management tool among more specialized high end finishing programs. Certainly it will be nice to have better mixing and SFX tools for simple projects but full DAW like features could need as much processing power as the video editor does. We don’t need Resolve Lite. VST plugins are a good option since they can be loaded individually as needed just like any other effect and people can build out their own custom sound mastering toolkits.

I’m still pursuing timecode based chase lock between Lightworks and Mixbus via an LTC channel over Jack. I have determined that this will require a dedicated networked workstation for each app. Only one program can have control focus at a time on a single workstation. It would be nice if one could designate an LTC audio track in Lightworks that doesn’t get routed through the audio mix.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 5 days ago by David Rasberry.

Re: VST support 5 days ago #232231

• granth
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 days ago
+1 to you point on "choose you VST filter". The core tool is light, and if you're not using anything else (or can't!) then whack in the VST, without having to learn Reaper.
I teach lwks & Reaper to Yr9 kids. The 'get' lwks totally, and avoid Reaper like the plague. So there's that too.
But certainly, keeping lwks light, agile and quick is important. There's a whole marketing thread I tried to open with the guys once, on the niche for mobile 3rd world doccie/ news people and lwks. It's a huge market, unseen by the 1st world, but growing daily. To be the tool of choice there is still within lwks reach. But that is a digression.

Re: VST support 4 days, 23 hours ago #232236

• digitallysane
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 23 hours ago
David Rasberry wrote:
FIR filters can eat a lot of processing power.

I still support the philosophical approach of keeping Lightworks the lightweight editorial management tool among more specialized high end finishing programs.

When I read that, I rather think of Scratch instead.

I totally agree with keeping LW light and nimble, but I see it first and foremost an editor's tool. And editors work with audio a lot.
I don't think a full DAW inside LW would make any sense, not a fan of the Fairlight approach.
But better mixing, basic useful filters (compressor, de-noise, de-esser, pitch shift etc) are necessary.
Would be great if a "render-in-place" would be implemented, so they can be cached and not consume resources.

Re: VST support 4 days, 23 hours ago #232239

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 23 hours ago
Who thinks that the implementation of Fairlight in Resolve is a full fledged DAW, should have a closer look.

Re: VST support 4 days, 22 hours ago #232241

• digitallysane
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 22 hours ago
hugly wrote:
Who thinks that the implementation of Fairlight in Resolve is a full fledged DAW, should have a closer look.

Arguing just to pass time won't get this anywhere.

Re: VST support 4 days, 22 hours ago #232242

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 22 hours ago
Arguing just to pass time, eh?

I dislike your arrogance.
Last Edit: 4 days, 22 hours ago by hugly.

Re: VST support 4 days, 20 hours ago #232251

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 20 hours ago
hugly wrote:
Hi timzett,

If you really need VST functionality for your job, it is very honorable that you have waited so long. Not many applications can pride themselves on having users with such loyalty and perseverance. Chapeau!

Yes, and thanks - I absolutely agree to your statement that I am quite loyal to Lightworks - since 9 years to be exact. And there are quite some reasons for it.

Now when it comes to audio FX, yes I noted it relatively often that it would be great to have VST support, however I don't really "need" it, respectively depend on it. It woud be just a big step forward when it comes to the audio section of Lightworks.

I worked with VSTs a lot as an audio engineer in the past, and I can tell you without them, at least the music landscape would look completely different.
Lwks x64 2020.1 revision 122068, pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, Xiaomi Yi 1080p
Last Edit: 4 days, 20 hours ago by timzett.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top