Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function

Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 17 hours ago #242165

• DaveFekete
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 days, 17 hours ago
Essentially the same as the function in Premiere. When I am just playing my sequence on the timeline and I see a section of a clip I know I just don't like it'd be great to have the ability to just get rid of it to the next cut point or the previous cut point.

Is this already possible? I've searched and seen some discussion about this but nothing major.

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 17 hours ago #242167

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 17 hours ago
You can mark the "in" and then use "a" or "s" to set up the timeline marker at either the previous cut or the next cut to park it and then delete using "x" or the controls below the viewer. Delete closes the gap.

Last Edit: 5 days, 17 hours ago by briandrys.

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 16 hours ago #242170

• DaveFekete
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 days, 16 hours ago
So basically create a macro to do what I want. I guess that is acceptable.

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 16 hours ago #242171

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 16 hours ago
Usually there are several ways to do the same thing.

However, I have not understood in detail what kind of workflow you want.
Do you want to remove a segment ?
If yes, at playback position with keyboard shortcut (do you know the keyboard shortcut to mark a segment ?), or mark with mouse independently from playback position, and delete with keyboard shortcut ?

Or do you not want to delete whole segments, but a section without having to set cuts first?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.2 || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 15 hours ago #242175

• DaveFekete
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 days, 15 hours ago
I was able to figure it out. I created a macro of Mark, Next Cut, Mark Out & Delete.

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 12 hours ago #242182

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 12 hours ago
You don't need the mark out in that macro. Remove it and the macro will still do what you need, because Lightworks uses mark and park to select. The mark can be at either end of the selected range.

It might have been simpler to assign a key to segment delete. Then it would have been a simple matter of clicking on the clip to select it and pressing your shortcut key. Alternatively, in your macro you could have used mark clip (assigned to the ] key by default) then pressed delete.

If you want to select from your current position shift-ctrl-right arrow will select right, and if you find shift-ctrl-right an unwieldy combination you can assign your own key combination choice to it. Go to system settings in the entry screen and select "Key assignments.." and go to town.

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 11 hours ago #242183

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 11 hours ago
DaveFekete wrote:
I was able to figure it out. I created a macro of Mark, Next Cut, Mark Out & Delete.

Hello,

When creating macros, you should bear in mind that each command consumes one undo step and the number of undo steps is limited, with default settings that's 10. Thus, it's prudent to find the smallest set of commands, which perform the desired function. In this case, that would be the following, 2 instead of 4 commands:

Name=DeleteSegmentEnd
Description=Delete from marker to segment end
Commands=Mark segment end,Delete
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 days, 11 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 10 hours ago #242187

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 10 hours ago
That assumes that you have chosen a segment. If you haven't, that macro will delete to the end of the timeline. A better way to do it would be:

Name=DeleteClipEnd
Description=Delete from cursor to end of current clip
Commands=Select right,Delete
Last Edit: 5 days, 10 hours ago by jwrl.

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 10 hours ago #242190

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 10 hours ago
jwrl wrote:
That assumes that you have chosen a segment. If you haven't, that macro will delete to the end of the timeline.

If you refer to my macro, not sure what you mean?

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 9 hours ago #242192

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 9 hours ago
Try it without first clicking on a clip in the timeline to make it a segment. You'll soon see what I mean.
Last Edit: 5 days, 9 hours ago by jwrl.

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 9 hours ago #242193

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 9 hours ago
I don't use selected segments at all (I have them disabled) and don't see what you mean.

Re: Ripple Trim Next/Previous Cut to Timeline Marker Function 5 days, 9 hours ago #242194

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 9 hours ago
Then enable them, do nothing else, and try it again. The macro will do what I said - it will delete from the cursor position to the end of the timeline.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Scroll To Top