Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project?

When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project? 1 month ago #225526

• jeffbader83
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Wondering when an intuitive "duplicate project" option will be added.

Re: When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project? 1 month ago #225528

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
Have you checked my reply in your original post?

Re: When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project? 1 month ago #225531

1. Create a new empty project in Lightworks with the same settings as your original
2. Open the original project. In the media manager select the bin named "Everything".
3. Right click in the bin and select "Add to" then pick the new empty project as the destination.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 1 month ago by David Rasberry.

Re: When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project? 1 month ago #225533

If you are making multiple versions of the same program for the same client with minor changes such as new language tracks it might be easier to do this within one project instead of creating multiple projects.
A new version would setup as a separate named group of assets in media management with bins in the group containing the media elements for each version. It avoids a lot of unnecessary duplication.
The Scrutineers volunteer project I use as an example above is being organized to contain all of the different social media resources I am producing for them. Different versions of the promotional animation, plus twitter bites from live interviews or training videos.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU

Re: When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project? 1 month ago #225535

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
The technique that I outlined will protect your media should you delete one of the copies. This technique, while quicker, won't do that.

Re: When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project? 1 month ago #225537

jwrl wrote:
The technique that I outlined will protect your media should you delete one of the copies. This technique, while quicker, won't do that.

Agreed.

Personally for different versions of the same program with revisions I would do them all from within one project and never delete any media from the project, just from particular bins.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU

Re: When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project? 1 month ago #225538

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
David Rasberry wrote:
Personally for different versions of the same program with revisions I would do them all from within one project and never delete any media from the project, just from particular bins.

Definitely.

Re: When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project? 1 month ago #225543

The point of all the above options plus the ones you outlined in the original thread is that there are multiple ways for an editor to manage projects and media to suit their own working style.

A little bit of learning curve is worth the effort when the tools available in Lightworks meet the needs of highly sophisticated, not to say idiosyncratic, high end feature film editors.

I dislike NLE's like FCPX that try to over simplify and dictate your work process. One of the reasons I never cared much for Apple products.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU

Re: When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project? 1 month ago #225551

• jeffbader83
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
jwrl wrote:
Have you checked my reply in your original post?

Yes, just now. I tried it and it does exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so so so much!
Last Edit: 1 month ago by jeffbader83.

Re: When can I expect an update that will allow me to duplicate my project? 1 month ago #225562

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
Glad to be able to help, jeffbader83.

David Rasberry wrote:
I dislike NLE's like FCPX that try to over simplify and dictate your work process. One of the reasons I never cared much for Apple products.

I would be inclined to rephrase that to "I dislike any software that try ...". But I'm obviously a bit of a curmudgeon.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top