Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: MOV container support [feature]

MOV container support [feature] 1 week ago #223064

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
It could be that I'm the only one who wishes to be able to deliver with Lightworks compressed long GOP h.264 video combined with high quality PCM audio in a format supported by all common media players on the planet.

If I'm not, please consider supporting export of AVC/PCM in a MOV container with the next release.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: MOV container support [feature] 1 week ago #223089

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week ago
Just to be clear: Export is what people pay for when purchasing Lightworks. If the export options of Lightworks Pro fall short compared with direct competition for free, the product will die. sooner or later. and all current users are riding a dead horse fed by muscle memory.

It isn't enough to present endless lists of export formats. It needs a list of reasonable formats which serves the needs of many.
Last Edit: 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: MOV container support [feature] 6 days, 21 hours ago #223106

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 21 hours ago
Not sure how Resolve is supporting MOV, but Lightworks relied on Quicktime for this and there is no 64 bit support for Quicktime from Apple.
AVCHD with PCM audio in .MTS container is universally supported in players too.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: MOV container support [feature] 6 days, 20 hours ago #223109

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 20 hours ago
I think most users don't care much about how it is done, they care about that it is done.

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood your comment and you are suggesting using MTS instead of MOV?

I know MTS as a very tricky format. However, this impression might result in the fact that MTS is a legacy format and used in many low cost consumer cameras as capture format, with not compliant muxers or so.

But well, if you say that MTS reaches the flexibility of MOV in terms of supported dimensions, frame rates and scan modes and it's supported by all common media players on all platforms, and it's easier to implement for Editshare, why not using MTS. The feature request is based on the need for long GOP h.264 with PCM audio.

Edit2: Another alternative would be MKV export, which is free, very flexible playable everywhere.
Last Edit: 6 days, 19 hours ago by hugly.

Re: MOV container support [feature] 6 days, 20 hours ago #223110

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 20 hours ago
Do you know how many options you have to export 1080p29.97 in h.264/PCM with Lightworks? I mean without creating intermediates to re-encode after export with third party software. Count them.

Re: MOV container support [feature] 5 days, 21 hours ago #223169

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 21 hours ago
I edited an earlier post with the information already, but it might have been missed.

The intention of this feature request is not primarily MOV container support on export. It's support of an export format which is playable on all common media player and supports long GOP h.264 video with PCM audio together with all available frame dimensions, frame rates and scan modes. The MOV container is suitable for that, but MKV as well.

Since Lightworks has started supporting MKV partially on import with 2020.1 and, if implementing MOV should be a problem, why no following that way and implementing MKV export with long GOP h.264 compression and PCM audio, maybe followed by HEVC with PCM audio and others?
Last Edit: 5 days, 20 hours ago by hugly.

Re: MOV container support [feature] 5 days, 18 hours ago #223194

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 18 hours ago
I agree. Note that there is an option to export separate PCM tracks with H.264. I would think the main reason to do this is for further editing and sweetening of sound tracks in an external app.

The range of export codec options seems to be limited to the most basic common versions. The next version is supposed to be a major code rewrite
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: MOV container support [feature] 5 days, 17 hours ago #223197

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 17 hours ago
The current situation appears to me as if for each fix, a new bug is introduced at pretty unexpected places. I think, it would be prudent to publish some bug fix releases, prior to inventing new features.

Beside of that, I truly appreciate any kind of change which creates progress.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
Scroll To Top