Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Show original frame [feature]

Show original frame [feature] 8 months, 4 weeks ago #210521

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
I'd truly appreciate a command, similar to 'Pop out original', which opens the source clip in the player at the current frame, but neither sets marks on the source, nor switches bins, nor synchronizes the position of the timeliner markers of the recorder and the player. It should simply open the source clip in a viewer at the current frame and that's it.

If multiple video tracks exist, the topmost enabled and not empty should be used, if all tracks are disabled the topmost not empty. If selected segments exist at playhead position, the topmost selected segment should be used. If the playhead is on a position with no video nothing should happen.

Such a logic would also help implementing a feature 'Match Frame' with two viewers in VFX mode, since the logic doesn't need access to the content manager.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months, 4 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Show original frame [feature] 3 months ago #221071

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Sounds like a good idea.
LenovoThinkPad P70, Xeon E3, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, SSD internal HD, Windows 10 Professional 64 bit.

Re: Show original frame [feature] 3 months ago #221077

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
LW is already functionally just a hair-breadth away from the principal suggestion in Fixed format and Flexible.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

That's not to say a new specific command might not be found - but it would be more complicated implement in Flexible where multiple source viewers may be on screen at the same time, for example, the assumption that the last highlighted viewer would automatically become the target would not be useful.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Show original frame [feature] 3 months ago #221083

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
First, thank you all for your contributions.

RWAV, your second video show the behaviour in flexible layout with modified config.dat. To pop out tiles on the desktop, as shown, the parameter "reveal_tiles_in_bins" must be set to 0. The default is 1, which reveals the tiles in 'Filters.Recent'n of the content manager, same as in Fixed layout.

I'm not sure if the Flexible layout will be developed any further in the future, but my suggestion to implement the explained feature consistently in both layouts would be to open the clip, following the described rules, in the current player. Even if there are multiple viewers in Flexible layout, there's always only one player.

To pop out a match frame (the second feature), a new source viewer can be opened. In Flexible layout somewhere on the desktop, which doesn't have focus as player, if a player exists already. In Fixed layout on the left hand side in VFX mode.

Re: Show original frame [feature] 3 months ago #221105

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
User hugly your input is always welcome, even if not always accurate or supportive.

There is no indication Flexible will not continue in development; as there is no indication console support will terminate or that codec support for pro/industrial codecs will be abandoned or that the LW VFX engine will be scrapped in favour of other unspecified methodologies.

Flexible can have multiple onscreen viewers. Indeed the posted demonstration shows a viewers strategically positioned for handy acceptance of the popped out original while other viewers, which and be clips, syncs, sub-clip, Prints or other sequences, serve as edit sources.

Of course the demonstration posted does depend on config.dat parameters. All semi-advanced and above users should be made aware of the process. Config.dat interface tweaks are available to all users, free and Pro.

One had solid confidence that as a user you would make that observation to help others.

The attached is a full screen view of the LW desktop for the subject demonstration - as just one illustration of how in Flexible a user can manage material while editing.

Of course at any time the user can open VFX and/or Sound tools instead of those onscreen in the demonstration; and all without switching between non-flexible, AKA Fixed, restricted views.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Please do ask if further clarification in the use of the Flexible layout might help - many other Flexible users will be sure to answer any questions.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 3 months ago by RWAV.

Re: Show original frame [feature] 3 months ago #221106

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
RWAV wrote:
One had solid confidence that as a user you would make that observation to help others.

This thread is a feature request that I have posted some time ago, not supposed to help anyone else with a current problem. I even don't understand your contributions here. Could it be that you need some help?
Last Edit: 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: Show original frame [feature] 3 months ago #221107

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
Users have commonly commented on feature requests, both pointing if they're a good idea and any possible negative implications.

It's then left to the developers to pick up on the requested feature. A number of feature requests have been incorporated into Lightworks, regardless of the less enthusiastic messages.

Re: Show original frame [feature] 3 months ago #221109

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
The feature request hasn't been implemented anyway, sadly, because I would need it every now and then when fine tuning my edits or when grading.

And, although I'm familiar in detail with the functions of the Flexible layout, I've used it long enough, I prefer using the Fixed. IT's simply more productive with my style of editing. In particular with the newly invented vertical scrolling of tracks and the timeline on the player.

Re: Show original frame [feature] 3 months ago #221110

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
There are also editors who find the fixed layout limiting and doesn't really allow them to explore their editing options as effectively as the flexible layout.

Re: Show original frame [feature] 3 months ago #221112

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
No doubt.

I can imagine that Thelma Schoonmaker has used it for editing the latest Scorsese feature.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Just, where are the new talents?

Re: Show original frame [feature] 3 months ago #221136

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
Where are all the working crafts-people of the industry and exactly what resources do they use. The sound recordists, the production designers, the gaffers, the grips, the producers, the production managers et al. How dare they not present themselves for display by users like hugly.

In fact Thelma Schoonmaker is not a presence here either - however users like hugly seem to see it as their right to use her image and reference her body of work as an editor using LW as some form of evidence to besmirch LW and to make negative inferences about LW. It's time for that behaviour to come to an end.

Repeating what has been said previously. Only LW product managers and the LW/EditShare organisations have reliable user/industry segment statistics - all other statements are simply self-serving uninformed speculation.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top