Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #31638

  • zoop
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 106
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
29 days to go and counting!

Go Editshare! Go! Go! GO!!!!
Specs: AMD 64 x 8 core, 16gb DDR3 Ram, Nvidia GTX 560 and Windows 7
while I (im)patiently wait for my Linux version to arrive...

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #31718

  • Matt Sandford
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 152
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
It is worth me mentioning here that the Linux version available on the 30th October is by no means a complete version of Lightworks. Below is a list of known limitations with the current Linux build. We are working to include as many of these features as we can for the 30th October but please understand not all of them will be available in time.

  • Lightworks has only been tested on Ubuntu 12.04
  • The current build is 64bit ONLY
  • There is currently no hardware I/O Support (Matrox or Blackmagic) This includes Firewire I/O
  • The record tool, playout tool are currently unavailable
  • There is currently no Lightworks USB/Serial console support
  • There is currently no .MOV support. This includes ProRes, H.264 etc
  • There is currently no MOV export option
  • There is currently no AVI export option
  • There is currently no Mackie Audio Mixer support
  • There is no .WMV support
  • There is no Quicktime/MPEG4 export option
Lightworks Product Manager

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #31725

  • zoop
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 106
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
Thanks for clarifying those Matt. Good to know what's in and what isn't. None of them really affect me, so I'm happy.
Specs: AMD 64 x 8 core, 16gb DDR3 Ram, Nvidia GTX 560 and Windows 7
while I (im)patiently wait for my Linux version to arrive...

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #31726

  • Danas_Anis
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 541
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
Matt Sandford wrote:
It is worth me mentioning here that the Linux version available on the 30th October is by no means a complete version of Lightworks. Below is a list of known limitations with the current Linux build. We are working to include as many of these features as we can for the 30th October but please understand not all of them will be available in time.

  • Lightworks has only been tested on Ubuntu 12.04
  • The current build is 64bit ONLY
  • There is currently no hardware I/O Support (Matrox or Blackmagic) This includes Firewire I/O
  • The record tool, playout tool are currently unavailable
  • There is currently no Lightworks USB/Serial console support
  • There is currently no .MOV support. This includes ProRes, H.264 etc
  • There is currently no MOV export option
  • There is currently no AVI export option
  • There is currently no Mackie Audio Mixer support
  • There is no .WMV support
  • There is no Quicktime/MPEG4 export option


I am sure we all understand it is an alpha version. what matters is that it is getting there and we will finally see it on Linux.

only 64 bit is fine, these days most people have 64bit systems anyway, for those who are not as lucky regarding 64bits, well there is a 64bit Bodhi 2.0 Linux that is very light on system requirements and is build on Ubuntu 12.04.

There is still time and I suppose one of the containers will make it in time for exporting videos. What matters is that the one can install it and see it works and can help to give some feedback that could improve the future development of LW.

thank you so much for all your hard work!
Kind regards,
Danas
www.danas-imaging.com

DELL Precision M5520; Intel Core i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.7 GHz; 16GiB of RAM; Nvidia Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5 / Intel HD Graphics 530 ,

Kubuntu 20.04

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #31728

  • zoop
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 106
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
Danas_Anis wrote:
I am sure we all understand it is an alpha version. what matters is that it is getting there and we will finally see it on Linux.


Agreed. I think you'll find Linux users are far more forgiving about these kind of quirks (even if we tend to be more outspoken on how to fix things! Heh heh)
Specs: AMD 64 x 8 core, 16gb DDR3 Ram, Nvidia GTX 560 and Windows 7
while I (im)patiently wait for my Linux version to arrive...

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #32147

  • dkudos
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 3
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
How can we get in on the beta test?

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #32149

  • rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1689
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
This release is going to be an Alpha not a Beta and according to an Admin's post the slots were filled 9 months ago.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #32374

  • erwan
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 2
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
Matt Sandford wrote:
It is worth me mentioning here that the Linux version available on the 30th October is by no means a complete version of Lightworks. Below is a list of known limitations with the current Linux build. We are working to include as many of these features as we can for the 30th October but please understand not all of them will be available in time.

  • Lightworks has only been tested on Ubuntu 12.04
  • The current build is 64bit ONLY
  • There is currently no hardware I/O Support (Matrox or Blackmagic) This includes Firewire I/O
  • The record tool, playout tool are currently unavailable
  • There is currently no Lightworks USB/Serial console support
  • There is currently no .MOV support. This includes ProRes, H.264 etc
  • There is currently no MOV export option
  • There is currently no AVI export option
  • There is currently no Mackie Audio Mixer support
  • There is no .WMV support
  • There is no Quicktime/MPEG4 export option


I'm not sure that you realise how great an ally could be the open source community and linux it self.
You say we wont have this nor that, but why don't you use things like VLC, FFMPEG(which is in my opinion much more powerfull than quicktime:dnxhd, x264, jpeg2000...) or openDCP, just think of it : lightworks first editor to be able to export DCP!
well, just dreams and thouths passing by...
Last Edit: 8 years, 3 months ago by erwan.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #32376

  • Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2218
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
erwan wrote:


I'm not sure that you realise how great an ally could be the open source community and linux it self.
You say we wont have this nor that, but why don't you use things like VLC, FFMPEG(which is in my opinion much more powerfull than quicktime:dnxhd, x264, jpeg2000...) or openDCP, just think of it : lightworks first editor to be able to export DCP!
well, just dreams and thouths passing by...



You've apparently missed all the discussion about ffmpeg, the legality of some of these codecs is questionable and even stated on the ffmpeg FAQ pages. It would not be safe for a commercial company to release a commercial product using codecs that have copyright/patent status. A lot of software gets away without licensing these, but it is a risk that many won't take.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #32380

  • erwan
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 2
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
There would be no legal issue by just having some scommand line in lightworks.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 8 years, 3 months ago #32385

  • Forum Admin
  • Moderator
    Pro User
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1414
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
You can't have a commercial product with no built-in codecs.

In the long term, the approach Editshare is taking with Lightworks will give the best experience, with full-spec codecs written by leading commercial codec suppliers, a consistent experience across three platforms (Windows, Linux and OS X) and - most importantly, supportable, because Lightworks will not be relying on the performance of codecs over which it has no control nor influence. It is taking a while to get into this position but it is definitely the best course to take for the long term - which is what Lightworks is here for.
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds
Scroll To Top