Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011

Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 10 years, 6 months ago #1983

• osmeest
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 years, 6 months ago
The initial announcement of the project was for an application targeting Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
As such, it was very appealing. I see now that the support for Linux and OSX is delayed to end of 2011.
That's a pity because I don't have a PC powerful enough to test it until then.

Also, I hope that those version will immediately integrate the native support for AVCHD. This would really make your app shine in contrast with Apple's own video editing applications (which require a lengthy, cumbersome and memory consuming transcoding of the footage).

Hope to see your app soon on my Mac

Olivier

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 10 years, 6 months ago #1985

• Forum Admin
Preparing Lightworks for Open Source - and other operating systems - is a massive task. All estimates are approximate, and we all wish it could happen sooner. But it will happen. Thanks for your interest, and keep watching the forum.

Mac users report success running Lightworks under Boot Camp - SA
Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by Site Admin.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 10 years, 6 months ago #2013

• finalcolor
hope see Lightworks for mac soon.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 10 years, 6 months ago #2034

• sterovetta
osmeest wrote:
immediately integrate the native support for AVCHD.

As I have already pointed out, AVCHD video from the nikon d7000 is allowed only for personal use.

This makes me think that there is a licensing issue. Unfortunately lightworks is targeted at professionals, so bundling a codec and then declaring "...but you can only use it for your holiday videos" would sound rather strange. This likely means that professionals will buy a professionally licensed add-in, while amateurs will have to find some other solution (transcoding?)

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 10 years, 6 months ago #2076

• osmeest
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 years, 6 months ago
Being a pro-sumer doesn't mean I want to pay for a codec which I'm entitled to use as a consumer.
Neither that I want to be forced in transcoding (a process that is eating the credits an application like FinalCut Express can get).

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 10 years, 6 months ago #2083

• Forum Admin
Being a pro-sumer doesn't mean I want to pay for a codec which I'm entitled to use as a consumer.

Your entitlement to use the codec in the camera is because the camera manufacturer has paid for it's use in the camera.

Neither that I want to be forced in transcoding (a process that is eating the credits an application like FinalCut Express can get).

As we have said elsewhere, we are working very actively on increased codec support, and you should start seeing some improvements soon. (It's not because Lightworks can't handle a wide range of codecs, it's because they're not all free - and we can't give away unknown or unlimited quantities of something that we have to pay for).

Keep watching the forum for news on this.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 9 years, 11 months ago #12697

• djf0057
Please release mac version soon.

I have been editing on FCP for 10 years and I am currently looking to switch to another platform.

It seems to me from watching demos of this application that it was designed similar to smoke, which is fantastic
because I am a long time user of smoke and love the operating system.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 9 years, 11 months ago #12714

• Forum Admin
@djf0057,

Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Porting to the Mac is a lengthy process, so there's nothing to try yet. If you want to try Lightworks on your Mac now, it does work under Bootcamp, and there is a thread dedicated to this.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 9 years, 10 months ago #13868

• Dankwi
"Also, I hope that those version will immediately integrate the native support for AVCHD. This would really make your app shine in contrast with Apple's own video editing applications (which require a lengthy, cumbersome and memory consuming transcoding of the footage)."

Look, there is nothing wrong with trans coding media and instead of complaining about AVCHD support I would recommend that you go ahead and do it and save yourself a bunch of hassle. Until very very recently ALL media on Avid systems was trans coded into Avid's own easy to read format. As an Avid/FCP/Premier user I can tell you that this grants a huge boost in performance and Professionals the world over use Avid because of it's efficiency in media management. Try loading your AVCHD into FCP, it'll be a disaster. Yes, Premier CS5 has developed tools that allow you to work more easily with long GOP coded files, but you better believe that they invested serious money into those developments and require some pretty beefy hardware as well.

So spend 100 bucks and buy yourself a decent 1tb 7500rpm firewire drive and you'll thank yourself later.

Apologies all around for my lack of HTML skill. And kudos to the volunteer developers, it's a huge project and we can't thank you enough.
Last Edit: 9 years, 10 months ago by . Reason: spelling

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 9 years, 10 months ago #13873

• THL
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
Don't know, what your lacking HTML skills have to do with it, but welcome to the forum. Impressive first post.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 9 years, 10 months ago #13876

• frans
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
Good that you've announced the delay.

osmeest wrote:
That's a pity because I don't have a PC powerful enough to test it until then.

You really only need a fairly modest system, depending on what you feed it,

... integrate the native support for AVCHD...

Now that requires a powerful system.

sterovetta wrote:
As I have already pointed out, AVCHD video from the nikon d7000 is allowed only for personal use.

That sounds weird, I don't think anyone can limit you in how and where you use your own work.
Last Edit: 9 years, 10 months ago by frans.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 9 years, 9 months ago #14048

• betzelelgalut
for myself, i would not mind having to pay for the program itself, as long as it works on linux with a functonality simular or comparable to final cut pro... i spent $1000 for FPC, $300 for logic studio and $300 for shake 4.1 for the mac... i would do the same for and ubuntu pro level video app. to bad they dont make a simular product to logic studio as well for linux!
linux users have been needing these tools for a long long time.

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 9 years, 9 months ago #14073

• djf0057
So does anyone know whats up with r3d's and 5k epic r3d's, what about support for tiff sequences, dpx sequences, and open exr support?

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 9 years, 5 months ago #18178

• dpic
betzelelgalut wrote:
for myself, i would not mind having to pay for the program itself, as long as it works on linux with a functonality simular or comparable to final cut pro... i spent $1000 for FPC, $300 for logic studio and $300 for shake 4.1 for the mac... i would do the same for and ubuntu pro level video app. to bad they dont make a simular product to logic studio as well for linux!
linux users have been needing these tools for a long long time.

I'd pay lots as long as it was free software (as in freedom, not price). Like through kickstarter or something

Re: Linux & Mac OS X support only in late 2011 9 years ago #24411

• Gabirell
Bootcamp? Is that serious?

Please let us know when Unix versions are avaliable!

I want to give it a try on the Mac and Linux.

Will wait till then...

Sorry but I really don't see the point using bootcamp, buying another OS, installing windows, etc...
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top