Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: easy effect exchange

easy effect exchange 1 week, 2 days ago #196168

So recently I've been piling up quite a lot of effects in Lightworks. Maybe much more than what is reasonably sound sometimes.
But nevertheless, an issue I often run into is : let's say I want to put an image key effect. It will come by default as blend so I want to change the blend as a DVE in order to put it in it's proper place in the image and add a fancy shadow. So unless I've been doing it wrong all the time I'll have to remove the blend then go in the plus tab, and get the Dve, go into the routing pannel route it properly, realize that my image is on a transparent background start all over again with a Matte and a blend, realize it created a 4th fx track while I wanted it in FX2 ; so I try drag and drop it on the proper FX track after routing but suddenly, and suddenly my DVE has disappeared... So I panic, grab a coffe chocolate, and start all over again.
Now thinking about it it used to be much simpler before all the effects were in one single window. because we had back in v11 the left panel allowing to drag and drop things in place.
So here I see 3 "small features" (from my point of view) that could make my life a breeze. right click on a node in the routing pannel could allow to exchange it with any effect with the same amount of nodes. and right clincking on an input or ouput could allow to add effect (in the same track & with the same length)and why not have the ability to add effect on a pipe. I've also did quite a bit of chromakey and struggle quite a bunch.
HP elitebook 8570p : OS, Win7Pro ; CPU, i5-3360@2.8Ghz ; Ram, 8GB (2x4GB@1600Mhz) ; GPU, Intel Hd4000 ; HDD, 500GB@7200rpm ;
Sony Nex EA50

My Club (Fance)
CCOF : cameracluborsayfaculte.com/
My personal blog : imagesetidees.wordpress.com/

Re: easy effect exchange 1 week, 2 days ago #196174

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Hello,

Yes, replacing effects directly in the panel would be nice to have. A simple method would be pressing a modifyer key prior to dropping the new effect on the existing one in the routing panel. All standard modifiers (shift, ctrl, alt) would be free for that in this context

I don't know if it's of any help for the time being, but the 'Video routing' window with the list of effects to the left and the routing panel to the right still exists in Flexible layout. It's assigned to F7 (Video routing) by default.

In VFX mode of the Fixed layout, it's possible to drag an effect from the list of the '+' window to the 'Routing' tab. This switches to the routing panel. There, you can drop the new effect on an existing one which connects the new inline upstream of the existing (the available connections should match). Then, you can use 'Remove' from context menu of the old effect.

I 'll post a short demo video later which shows the latter.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: easy effect exchange 1 week, 1 day ago #196191

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Update.

Instead of making a video, I tested with some simple and more complex video routing. The procedure described to drop the new and remove the old effect in the routing panel works, without manual correction of the routing, only for very simple effect setups. With more complex routing the automatic may reconnect in an undesired manner and sometimes even correct routing doesn't work properly and needs disconnecting and re-connecting of some nodes to fix. Disconnecting the old and reconnecting the new effect on the panel, instead of dropping the new on the old to automatically connect the effect, is the only reliable procedure to replace an effect directly in the panel.

These findings make this valuable feature request even more valuable!

FWIW, as already mentioned elsewhere, I miss a switch to disable automatic routing so much.

Re: easy effect exchange 1 week, 1 day ago #196194

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
For what it's worth, the routing panel in 14.6 allows node replacement, addition, etc :

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Lightworks Development

Re: easy effect exchange 1 week, 1 day ago #196195

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Perfect timing!

Allow two questions:

Does the list show the same structure as with 'Effects.Add' from the timeline menu?

Personall, I'd find, additionally, replacing by drag and drop in the routing panel with modifier-key (e.g. ALT) pressed very convenient. Does that make sense?

Re: easy effect exchange 1 week, 1 day ago #196203

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Does the list show the same structure as with 'Effects.Add' from the timeline menu?

At the moment, it lists the other templates from the same category as the effect that you're looking to replace (although templates will be omitted if they aren't compatible with the effect that you want to replace, in terms of routability).

In the image that I posted I'm replacing a colour-correct, so the list of replacements is showing the other templates from the Colour category.
Lightworks Development
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by Great White.

Re: easy effect exchange 1 week, 1 day ago #196206

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Thank you!

Re: easy effect exchange 1 week, 1 day ago #196207

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Interesting, thank you.

hugly wrote:
Instead of making a video,...
...Disconnecting the old and reconnecting the new effect on the panel, instead of dropping the new on the old to automatically connect the effect, is the only reliable procedure to replace an effect directly in the panel.

Often, the chronological order in which connections are made is important.
If I put an effect in an empty area of the Routing-Panel, it is not assigned to a track yet. When creating the first connection, the track is also defined.
In this video, I first connect the output of the newly added DVE effect, so that it is placed in FX1.
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

After that, I added the effect in FX2. Because in this case both the input and the output were connected to effects in FX2, the timing of the connection creation does not matter.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by schrauber.

Re: easy effect exchange 1 week, 1 day ago #196211

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Frankly, instead of fighting against the automatic routing and sudden changes of the layout, I would prefer to be able to switch the automatic off. Give Fusion a shot to see how node based effect routing can work.

Re: easy effect exchange 1 week, 1 day ago #196212

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
jonathan.bondu I hear you. I have this problems constantly....

especially adding up effects into one track, either V1, V2 etc or to a FX track, is very hard, and in the fixed layout always needs a lot of clicks and unchecking tracks (especially when doing a short playback to test.. which kind of resets the gui.. ), till effects end up in the right place.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top