Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Show a red section where media missing in transitions

Show a red section where media missing in transitions 2 years ago #184399

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
RWAV wrote:
useful wold be the option to 'Accept error and make the transition anyway' because that gives one a delineated section of the edit where a manual fix-up is required.

+1!!!!!

Some time back I suggested showing a red section where there was media missing. That seemed to go over like a lead balloon. However, combining your suggestion, RWAV, with mine revised to show missing media as white would give something like this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Would that be useful? The inset number could move to ensure visibility when the gap go too small.

Moderated - I've moved this discussion out of the V14 transition error thread, since it's dealing with improving the current transition arrangements, so needs it's own space. Briandrys
Last Edit: 2 years ago by briandrys.

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184404

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
That sounds like a feature request.

Although, in the case of a being a few frames short, Lightworks will make a shorter transition using the available overlapping frames and give you a warning message.
Last Edit: 2 years ago by briandrys.

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184414

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
jwrl wrote:
RWAV wrote:
useful wold be the option to 'Accept error and make the transition anyway' because that gives one a delineated section of the edit where a manual fix-up is required.

+1!!!!!

Some time back I suggested showing a red section where there was media missing. That seemed to go over like a lead balloon. However, combining your suggestion, RWAV, with mine revised to show missing media as white would give something like this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Would that be useful? The inset number could move to ensure visibility when the gap go too small.

if it come to a vote, you have mine.
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184415

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
Yes that makes good sense.

Personally I don't see any validity in LW making a transition of a different length - just because it can. I mean - if one enters a 30 frame transition that's what one wants - not an auto-generated 'that's-the-best-possible-length' job. Perhaps it's in a sequence of similar transitions and will stick out like DB's as being out of kilter with all the others.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184419

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
I assume that if there's no overlapping material at all, the red letters on the white area would show missing frames left and right of the cut point, so I could quickly cut the piece off, if the edges of the white area would stop the playhead when jumping with Right/Left - how, empty cuts?

Ìf the transition has been applied but shortened (because of partially missing material), a trim mode to trim an existing transition to fit would be nice to have. As far as I can see, currently there's no way to do it in one step, or is there any?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 years ago by hugly.

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184454

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
In a no overlap situation in and out cut points need to be trimmed in opposite directions - that makes it a bit tough for a 'one-step' process - however it is not at all a difficult or time consuming task if one has the flawed transition in place.

In the attached I start with a 100 frame transition - both in and out have zero overlap.

Including playing the 'no overlap' transition as proof-of-problem and playing through the corrected transition as proof-of-concept it took about 25 seconds to fix both overlap problems.

It is more difficult when LW refuses to place a transition needing attention by the user or if it places a transition which is not the length specified.

(having some difficulty attaching an .mp4 file which does not seem to be over size)
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 2 years ago by RWAV.

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184455

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
I think we have a difference in approach here. Professional editors want to be in control of what they're doing. Amateurs often prefer to just have the software take care of things.

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184457

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
Yes and too often LW expects all users to fall in line with the casual user targeted interface.

Can't post an .mp4 - the hopefully attached multi page .pdf illustrates how simple it is to manually correct for a missing overlap if the dodgy dissolve is in place - the dissolve object creates the cut points needing to opened and simple arithmetic defines the required length and direction of each trim. There is no need to embark on any scenic route involving multiple tracks or otherwise.

As per my previous post the elusive .mpg runs for about 25 seconds - which includes playing the four second dissolve twice - so that makes it about 17 seconds to do the fix.

What's the problem?
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184495

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
jwrl wrote:
I think we have a difference in approach here. Professional editors want to be in control of what they're doing. Amateurs often prefer to just have the software take care of things.

It's difficult to serve both sides of the medal. However, I can imagine that even professional editor won't refuse faster and less complex workflow and some choice, if the problem appears.

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184496

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
RWAV,

As far as I can understand, what you show in your PDF applies to a dissolve applied in desired length with insufficient overlapping material and shows how to correct the material underneath, as it was prior to V14.0.

Unfortunaltely, now we have the situation that either the transition isn't applied at all, or shortened to available overlap (without information what and where the overlap on each side was, only reduced duration in total is displayed). The latter makes things more complex (impossible?) to fix by trimming with dissolve in place (without removing and reapplying after trimming).
Last Edit: 2 years ago by hugly.

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184505

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
Unfortunaltely, now we have the situation that either the transition isn't applied at all
That's right - and my post is in most part a 'hello' to the decision makers in that forced behaviour. As at the time when this matter was discussed at Beta 14 stage I still don't understand why an option to place a cut anyway cannot be offered - as I demonstrated it takes less than 20 seconds to fix the missing overlap(s).

Working with material from controlled shoots we seldom encounter the problem but on those occasions where there might be a run of them I make an edit consisting of just a dissolve already pre-mark/parked then insert/replace it into position as required. Bypassing LW refusal to do so.

In the attached .pdf the bootleg dissolve's timeline is open just to show what it is - normally one would only have the tile on-screen
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184514

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
jwrl wrote:
hugly wrote:
I can imagine that even professional editor won't refuse faster and less complex workflow and some choice, if the problem appears.

I can't speak for other editors, but personally, I resent the dumbing down of the software tools that I use. I prefer to have software under my control, not be under the control of the software.

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184517

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
Editing isn't a race to get out of the door first. Simplified tools and a mad rush are not necessarily the best way to explore possibilities in an edit. Effective and efficient tools are the key.

The vast majority of new LW users will never look into LW complexity but that does not mean it needs to be simplified to meet just their needs.

I made the attached some time ago in response to an apparent move away from mouse based timeline editing/trimming. Most users probably don't even know it possible to open cut points differentially across and down a timeline - complex and difficult to comprehend for some is supremely efficient and with capabilities like no other NLE for those who learn look at a timeline and understand the impact of every action they perform.

The attached relatively simple example is just a hint of how effective LW trimming can be.
Attachments:
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184519

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years ago
That's a really good point. Dumbing down has a further undesirable effect - by doing that, the true power of the software is effectively hidden. Marketable features effectively become lost.

Re: The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings. 2 years ago #184565

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years ago
I think I mentioned this a long time ago when this was first discussed, but if the software was to auto trim the clips to create the intended transition duration, does it ripple the whole timeline, slip, slide or move only the incoming clip? There are a lot of variables that can affect the timeline. I prefer for the software to throw a warning message when there’s not enough media, with an option to cancel or continue with the flawed transition (with the visual cues shown above), not change the timeline.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 2 years ago by khaver.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top