Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Better track togglers shortcuts

Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168677

• abourget
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
One feature I would *crave* for is togglers for the tracks (armed / unarmed), that are mapped to what is *visually* shown in the timeline.

With those tracks: FX1, V1, A1/A2, A3/A4
I'd like to map Ctrl+1 to toggling FX1, Ctrl+2 to V2, Ctrl+3 to A1/A2, Ctrl+4 to A3/A4. Ctrl+0 to be toggle all..

I'm actually puzzled how can anyone make any use of the current shortcuts.. they're a huge cognitive overload .. so I always end up clicking on them. In any case, perhaps we can simply *add* those new shortcuts ?

Please please please before releasing v 14.1 !

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168683

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
You do know that you can assign them as you wish, don't you? The only thing that you don't have is a means of toggling effects tracks. I suspect that's because not everyone uses unfolded effects, but perhaps that might be a useful feature request.

To change key assignments, in the project browser click on the cogs icon at the top right of the window. Choose "Key assignments.." and go to town. In the flexible user interface you can also do that from within your project. Click on the preferences icon at the bottom of the toolbar and select "Change/view key assignments..".
Last Edit: 8 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168693

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Slightly off topic.

jwrl, in key assignments I see this:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Those seem to be default. How do those, e.g. "Hold'v' Tap '3'", work with a keyboard, are they specific to the console?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168696

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Those are purely keyboard only. There are no keyboard keys on the console. In Lightworks you can use almost any key as a modifier.

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168697

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks, I was entirely not aware that almost any key can be used as modifier in Lightworks.

That means I have to remove default assignment for 'v" which is Insert command, to make "Hold 'v' Tab '3' work"?
Last Edit: 8 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168699

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello Mr. hugly

and welcome to the Forum. I’m sure you’ll find any information you need about LW right here.

No need to remove the assignment of ‘v’ for the insert command, as it does not perform its function until released. Thus “ Hold ‘v’ Tap ‘3’ and etc. are valid assignments and unafected by the insert command.

Do come back to the Forum whenever you have other questions – many here are more than willing to assist you.

North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168701

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi my friend,

Are you sure that default shortcuts of Lightworks are executed on key-up signal? That's not what I see here.

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168702

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
I had assumed the shortcuts fired on key-up. And I programmed X-Keys jog shuttle on that assumption. I have several 'hold & tap' combinations on it, and all work as programmed.

I just tested whether the corresponding first of the single-key operations work on key-up and found that is not the case. [They work when pressed, whether released or not.]

I have the keys e, a, and v as keys to be "held" in combination operations, they don't appear to perform their single function when used in those combination operations.

So I'm officially confused.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*
Last Edit: 8 months, 2 weeks ago by geomcd1949. Reason: to clarify

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168703

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
I didn't assign anything else than the common modifier keys as modifiers for shortcuts before, but I was aware that the default shortcuts react on key-down. After seeing the Hold 'v' Tap '3' assignment I wondered how this can be used.

Honestly, I wasn't searching for a bug, only a way to make it work.

To make all keys usable as modifiers they would have to react on key-up, because key-down would be reserved for the modifier function.

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168704

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
My theory is that Lightworks has built-in mind-reading capability.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168705

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Yeah, that's what we're waiting for.

As longs as this doesn't exist: The default shortcuts using "Hold 'a'" and "Hold 'v'" don't work as expected, as long as 'a' and 'v' are assigned to something else (and that's a bug in default key assignments).

The rule now, all not assigned keys can be used as modifiers. That's more than enough for me.

.. Turning all keys to work on key-up by default just to allow any key to be a modifier would be a major change to the interface - not a good idea, I think.

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168707

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Hugly, I see what you mean. When I hold 'a' tap '1' to toggle A1, the playhead snaps to the last cut, which is the 'a' keyboard shortcut for 'snap to last cut.'

As I see it, all keys [or just about all] on the keyboard are used for commands, which doesn't leave any for the 'tap X and hold Y' functions.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 2 weeks ago #168708

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Yes.

On the other hand, from a practical point of view, too many modifiers can be confusing.

It should be possible to assign those toggle commands by default somehow differently without causing a collision, or drop them from default assignments entirely.

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 1 week ago #168852

• abourget
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
@jwrl: But when you want to quickly toggle tracks, you need to calculate now many tracks are grouped and not grouped..

if I have A1/A2 and A3/A4 .. and I want to toggle track A3/A4, which is my *second* track, I need to use shortcuts 3 and 4.. but in my head.. I clearly see those are 2 entities, not four.. so the mapping is high cognitive overload.

Certainly the effects tracks is there in my face.. and I'd like to be able to toggle it this same way.

Re: Better track togglers shortcuts 8 months, 1 week ago #168856

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
FWIW

Except of FX tracks (good idea for a feature request, by the way) and assuming that you have some kind of fixed track layout you can combine the toggle track command in macros to do what you want.

Side note: To enable one single track and disable all others with the mouse (or one group of grouped tracks), hold down right-botton and click with left-button onto track name.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Scroll To Top