Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: the ability to import different fps in the project

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 9 years, 6 months ago #16594

• sotitomo
While I understand Lightworks' reason for doing it that way, I wonder how one would handle slow motion footage inside Lightworks? I mean, slow motion footage obviously mean a higher than 24fps rate inside a 24fps project. Also, in many cases when talking about HD it also means it will be of a different resolution. Like 60fps will often be only 1280x720. How do you go about using 1280x720 60fps in your 1920x1080 24fps project in Lightworks?

I know Lightworks was developed to be a film editor but films also have slow motion shots. Different frame rates are not something exclusive to the video world.
Last Edit: 9 years, 6 months ago by .

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 8 years, 3 months ago #39765

• mcdebugger
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
And what if to make it avaliable as an option? Somewhere in project settings, disabled by default? And with notice when trying to enable.
I have some videos from 2 cams. One records 25p or 50i and the other 29.97p. For now I need to manually convert it to 25p using ffmpeg each time. It needs time and additional disk space. Even batch import with transcode option will reduce unneeded operations.
And here one wrote about a slow-mo feature. We also may need mixed material with different fps.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3.0 Ghz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 4290 (driver in use: r600g)
Chipset: AMD 890GX
RAM: 16 GiB (4x4 GiB SAMSUNG DDR3, no ECC)
Distribution: Gentoo Linux (amd64)
Last Edit: 8 years, 3 months ago by mcdebugger.

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 7 years, 11 months ago #48610

• xlr8
Totally support slow motion request by sotitomo. I'm working with sport videos and often record in higher frame rate to have a smooth slow motion.
To me it would be fine to import any video (say 60 fps) at project frame rate (30 fps, so video would be doubled in length). If you want it at original speed, you could then increase speed via the editor (this function exists, no clue how quality is assured there / in 30/60 fps case probably just drop every second frame).

Hope this gets implemented soon either way.
Last Edit: 7 years, 11 months ago by .

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 7 years, 8 months ago #53308

• idealsceneprod
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 years, 8 months ago
I only shoot my own things so I'm always in control of the FPS (usually at 24fps), but I do like to mix in slomo, and on both my cameras, that means 720p60, as opposed to the 1080p24 I normally use.

I would much rather be able to mix footage and have the NLE interpret it accordingly, without having to transcode first.

This would be very useful indeed.
Val Gameiro
Writer, Director, Filmmaker
www.AmnesiaTheMovie.com
www.IdealSceneProductions.com
www.TXSTARentertainment.com
www.ValGameiro.com

Lightworks 12.6 64-bit / Latest 64-bit Beta

Dell Precision M6600, QuadCore i7, 8GB RAM, internal SSD drive (+ external USB3 7200rpm drives), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Canon 7D, the dreamy BlackMagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera, and gunning for the Sony A7S!

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 6 years, 11 months ago #70651

• jakevan
Does anyone know how to change the frame rate on a clip so im able to use it in LW?

Many thanks.

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 6 years, 11 months ago #70660

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
I had some success with free MediaCoder, e.g. by using MPEG-4 with variable fps as input and re-rendering it to MPEG-4 with fixed fps, while changing the frame rate to what is required.
However, note that MediaCoder is not at all an easy software. Tweaking and trying things can become really challenging, and the sheer mass of parameters can be exhausting.

Generally it's not easy to change the frame rates at an existing video: Either additional frames will be added at every second frame as a copy of the previous one, or frames will be dropped. Both might not be wanted. You can get duplicate image information which doesn't improve the video at all, or you even lose some image information which was already there.

In the very ideal case only, you will find additional software (like Twixtor or AfterEffects for instance) which are able to add additional new frames, while new means the content is an interpolation of the previous and the forthcoming frame (it's my dream that Lightworks will do that one day as well, which would be such a gain for slomo).
Lightworks Beta 2021.2 revision 128258, pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 2 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SSD internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, 2x Xiaomi Yi 1080p
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by timzett.

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 6 years, 1 month ago #90847

I have been told that projects that are set to a specific FPS cannot be altered and that any footage incorporated into said project must be of equivalent FPS. I know the topic of mixed frame rate projects has been discussed in-depth but each of the conversations I've read generally devolve into discussions about slow motion footage. But I've been getting conflicting answers. My question boils down to this - is it possible to import and conform 29.97 (30) FPS footage into a 24FPS Project? Even in the technical specifications page on the LWKS site it states that "you can import 30fps and 25fps media into a 24fps project". In the V12 manual it also states that you can have "[video] picture at 23.98 fps (or pulled down 29.97 fps)". I'm not sure if I am reading this information out of context so I'd just like some clarification. Is possible to edit together footage with mixed frame rates in the same project without transcoding or FPS conversion beforehand?

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 6 years, 1 month ago #90911

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
Yes, and you should use a 24fps project if you plan to use mixed frame rates.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 6 years, 1 month ago #90935

Closure at last! Thank you, Arniepix!

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 6 years, 1 month ago #90952

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: the ability to import different fps in the project 5 years, 6 months ago #103064

• rcwatson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
So I recorded at 29.97fps and want to incorporate 24fps clips into the same. I created a new LW project at 24fps, but now my 29.97fps footage audio sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

How do I correct for that? Is that even possible? How do other people make videos that incorporate older, lower FPS footage with newer, higher FPS footage? I know it's been done before, but LW doesn't seem to have a feature for this scenario.
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top